Torsion key question - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-30-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: quebec, canada
Posts: 5
Torsion key question

If i put 3" keys and i crank the torsion bars will i get like 4" lift? Right know i have max crank t-bars and i want more! Don't talk to me about body lift!!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-30-2015
06FordFX4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 694
Can you? Sure.
Should you? Absolutely not.

Terrible idea.

Suspension lift, SAS, or body lift.


Dunno why so many people hate on body lifts. Nothing wrong with em.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-30-2015
RLong31's Avatar
The Ban Hammer
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monrovia, IN
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-offroad-x View Post
If i put 3" keys and i crank the torsion bars will i get like 4" lift? Right know i have max crank t-bars and i want more! Don't talk to me about body lift!!!

Thanks
Let me suggest something.....

































Body Lift.. it's cheap, easy, reliable and your truck will ride the same, except taller. Getting taller lift keys and cranking those is just stupid. Have fun tearing through front end parts.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-30-2015
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
don't listen to those guys.

Do it so we can get some comedy out of front end suspension parts failure, please.

but seriously, if you want different keys, get factory keys out of a 98-07 which will sit higher than yours by about 2"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-30-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: quebec, canada
Posts: 5
Body lift look ugly as f**k thanks for the answer i'll just wait and buy a superlift or swap for a solid axel.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2015
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
There is no way to get 4" of lift from cranking torsion bars or lift keys
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2015
RLong31's Avatar
The Ban Hammer
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monrovia, IN
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-offroad-x View Post
Body lift look ugly as f**k thanks for the answer i'll just wait and buy a superlift or swap for a solid axel.
Uhh.. how do they look ugly?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-30-2015
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLong31 View Post
Uhh.. how do they look ugly?
He's probably referring to the frame exposure that a body lift creates. Which isn't much compared to a lot of trucks
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-30-2015
Fordzilla80's Avatar
YZ
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-offroad-x View Post
Body lift look ugly as f**k
I'm sure girls say the same thing about you.

With that being said, Superlifts look just as bad as a body lift. Imagine all of those ugly drop brackets hanging down from the frame. Don't even get me started on stacking blocks and the torsion bar drop cradles.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-30-2015
RLong31's Avatar
The Ban Hammer
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monrovia, IN
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
I'm sure girls say the same thing about you.

With that being said, Superlifts look just as bad as a body lift. Imagine all of those ugly drop brackets hanging down from the frame. Don't even get me started on stacking blocks and the torsion bar drop cradles.
Exactly. Doesn't look any better. Worse really. Necessary evil.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-30-2015
06FordFX4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 694
Lmao. Gotta love the people that think body lifts look ugly. Its a ranger. You barely see any frame at all.

Now if it was an s10... Yeah. Would look horrid with a body lift.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-31-2015
RLong31's Avatar
The Ban Hammer
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monrovia, IN
Posts: 2,629
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-31-2015
bravetitan24's Avatar
Strokin'
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Haughton, LA
Posts: 2,156
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-31-2015
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,343
Body lifts look fine on Rangers. They are cheap and don't mess with suspension geometry. If the TINY bit of frame that shows from the body lift bothers you, fork out the money for the super lift which also doesn't mess with suspension geometry.

Or you can be dumb and get lift keys and then have to constantly replace front suspension parts which will get expensive really fast. The choice is yours.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-31-2015
RLong31's Avatar
The Ban Hammer
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monrovia, IN
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00GreenRanger View Post
Body lifts look fine on Rangers. They are cheap and don't mess with suspension geometry. If the TINY bit of frame that shows from the body lift bothers you, fork out the money for the super lift which also doesn't mess with suspension geometry.

Or you can be dumb and get lift keys and then have to constantly replace front suspension parts which will get expensive really fast. The choice is yours.
It'll mess with suspension geometry if he tries to crank the t-bars after the lift anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-31-2015
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLong31 View Post
It'll mess with suspension geometry if he tries to crank the t-bars after the lift anyway.
I was assuming that he doesn't mess with the tbars if he did a body lift or super lift. If he did crank them, then obviously that would change the geometry. But just those two kits alone don't mess with it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-31-2015
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Driveshaft angle is part of the suspension geometry, which changes with a Superlift
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-31-2015
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,343
The driveshaft has nothing to do with how the suspension behaves or cycles in this application. I'm talking suspension only... i.e. Control arm angles and what not. The driveshaft is a completely different topic when the focus is on the wear of ball joints, cv axles, and TRE's. My point is that the super lift won't cause additional wear to those components than a stock suspension truck would.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-31-2015
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00GreenRanger View Post
The driveshaft has nothing to do with how the suspension behaves or cycles in this application. I'm talking suspension only... i.e. Control arm angles and what not. The driveshaft is a completely different topic when the focus is on the wear of ball joints, cv axles, and TRE's. My point is that the super lift won't cause additional wear to those components than a stock suspension truck would.
Increased driveshaft angle increase wear on the ujoints. U joints are part of the drivetrain.

I know what you mean though. I just include the drivetrain angles as part of the overall geometry
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-31-2015
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01RangerEdge View Post
Increased driveshaft angle increase wear on the ujoints. U joints are part of the drivetrain. I know what you mean though. I just include the drivetrain angles as part of the overall geometry
Yeah I see what you mean about the u joints. I was just comparing how keys would effect the components involved with suspension movement vs how the super lift would effect them.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-31-2015
06FordFX4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01RangerEdge View Post
Increased driveshaft angle increase wear on the ujoints. U joints are part of the drivetrain.

I know what you mean though. I just include the drivetrain angles as part of the overall geometry
Since when does drivetrain mean suspension? No one is disagreeing that a super lift effects drive line angles. But that's easily fixed.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-31-2015
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06FordFX4 View Post
Since when does drivetrain mean suspension? No one is disagreeing that a super lift effects drive line angles. But that's easily fixed.
Thank you lol the driveshaft has nothing to do with suspension IMO. That's a drive train problem. It has nothing to do with the cycling of the suspension haha
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-01-2015
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Damn guys, chill.

I'm not saying the drivelines are part of the suspension, but if you're comparing wear and tear a body lift causes vs a suspension lift U joints have to be included.

That's all I'm saying.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-01-2015
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01RangerEdge View Post
Damn guys, chill. I'm not saying the drivelines are part of the suspension, but if you're comparing wear and tear a body lift causes vs a suspension lift U joints have to be included. That's all I'm saying.
I am "chill" haha this is a stupid argument because we are on the same page. I just didn't want the OP to think that the driveshaft was a big problem because you can get one made by super lift that fixes the problem. Didn't mean to come off like a dick.

Anyways, no matter what lift you do there will be wear on parts. Whether it's from messing with torsion lift keys or just wear from bigger tires, parts will wear out. Or even the driveshaft like you said from the super lift causing the larger angle. I think we can all agree on this.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-15-2015
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Poconos
Posts: 119
if you have a 4in superlift and raise the torsion bar a little to level truck out, would that cause any problems? I just found out the other day my superlift driveshaft took a ****. Less than 5000 miles on this driveshaft. Superlift is sending me a new one, but im wondering if raising the tbar a bit caused the driveshaft failure. Tbar is only raised a hair to level truck. thats it.

Last edited by deathstar88; 03-15-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Notes on torsion key flipping... TippnOver General Ford Ranger Discussion 44 03-06-2013 07:27 PM
torsion key problems edge186 Suspension Tech 40 08-29-2008 11:05 PM
Torsion Key 96RpAaNjGoErR Suspension Tech 3 10-03-2007 11:00 AM
torsion key flip xdaniel817x Suspension Tech 2 09-18-2007 08:18 PM
Torsion Key Lift? SteveOh Suspension Tech 14 08-02-2006 07:32 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.