Towing - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 01-08-2008
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
4 quads at most
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-08-2008
Z1K's Avatar
Z1K Z1K is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Courtice, ON
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
Seems that people don't understand science... Rob, If you'll take the time to actually read the sidewall, you'll see the pressure is rated at a stated *load*.

The reason a towing related blowout occurs is because the side wall flex's excessively, creates excessive heat, and if overheated too long.. the material will yield at it's weakest spot. (aka sidewall blowout)

Over inflate the rears if your ***overloading*** them. Which you will be if you have too much tongue load. It'll also take some sway out of the whole rig as your going down the road.

Now.. if your using one of those two wheel rent-a-dolly? The kind that puts very little tongue load on the pull vehicle.. then don't sweat it. Just make sure the rears are up to normal pressure (33-ish psi)

Rich

I'm not the one giving the bad advice here, YOU are. You are telling someone that a good way to overload tires is to overinflate them. Are you serious? That's a band-aid solution at best and and a loss of vehicle control at worst. By your logic I could run a set of p rated tires on a superduty as long as they were overinflated. Maybe you should go out to your driveway and read the side of your tire you would find out that the tire is rated for MAXIMUM LOAD AND PRESSURE.

Here's a bit of sound advice Mboever. DO NOT overload or overinflate your tires.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-08-2008
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
Bob, with all due respect.. go look at your sidewalls. Mine says 44psi max load. My suggestion of 45psi is not "bad advice". I base my inputs and suggestions on science.. and to some degree my first hand experiences.


Now, I'll give you this much Bob.. there is a limit to common off the shelf tires. I would assume that this would be an obvious thing to everyone? Maybe not... Every physical thing has it's limit. In your analogy "run a set of p rated tires on a superduty " .... *yes the limit would be exceeded*. But we are not talking thoeretical in this post nor are we talking about an extreme and obvious mis-use of tire size & pressure.

The post here pertains to a slightly overloaded towing situation for a ranger with stock tires. Having first hand experience overloading tires on a **OEM basis** (2k lbs of armorment on stock Lincoln Town cars) I fully stand by my comments given the subject of this post.

It's just simple science in how a tire fails. Over inflating by 10psi will not harm the tire in any way except to prematurely wear the center of the tread. And technicly speaking my shooting from the hip comment of 45psi was in realality only 1psi over WHAT THE SIDEWALL ACTUALLY SAYS!

Regards, Rich
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-08-2008
Z1K's Avatar
Z1K Z1K is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Courtice, ON
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
Bob, with all due respect.. go look at your sidewalls. Mine says 44psi max load. My suggestion of 45psi is not "bad advice". I base my inputs and suggestions on science.. and to some degree my first hand experiences.
Rick, with all do respect, You don't know that Mboever has the same tires you do.

Quote:
Now, I'll give you this much Bob.. there is a limit to common off the shelf tires. I would assume that this would be an obvious thing to everyone? Maybe not... Every physical thing has it's limit. In your analogy "run a set of p rated tires on a superduty " .... *yes the limit would be exceeded*. But we are not talking thoeretical in this post nor are we talking about an extreme and obvious mis-use of tire size & pressure.
You have to talk theoretical when you do not know all the variables.

Quote:
The post here pertains to a slightly overloaded towing situation for a ranger with stock tires. Having first hand experience overloading tires on a **OEM basis** (2k lbs of armorment on stock Lincoln Town cars) I fully stand by my comments given the subject of this post.
Again, you do not know all the variables. You are assuming all parts are oem. For a 7 year old truck that is a lot to assume. You are also assuming I have no first hand experience on the subject.

Quote:
It's just simple science in how a tire fails. Over inflating by 10psi will not harm the tire in any way except to prematurely wear the center of the tread. And technicly speaking my shooting from the hip comment of 45psi was in realality only 1psi over WHAT THE SIDEWALL ACTUALLY SAYS!

Regards, Rich
I know how a tire fails. I worked in the industry when the whole Explorer Firestone BS went down.

It all boils down to the fact that you nor I know what brand of tires he may be running on that truck. It says in his sig that he has a 2001. There is a pretty good chance that the original factory tires are long gone now. He could be riding on bargain basement Wal-mart specials with a max pressure of 35psi on the sidewall with a much lower load rating. Neither of us know his towing setup so giving advice without knowing the facts isn't so smart an idea.

What if he does have inferior tires on his rig? What if he only has a bumper hitch? What's the weight of the trailer? Too many unknown variables to give proper advice. Giving what you say your background is I figured you'd have thought of this before "shooting from the hip."

Oh and BTW Rick, the name is Rob.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-09-2008
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
LOL.. sorry "Rob".

You make valid points about not knowing all the facts of his tires.

Regards, Rich.... aka "Rick"
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-09-2008
Z1K's Avatar
Z1K Z1K is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Courtice, ON
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
LOL.. sorry "Rob".

You make valid points about not knowing all the facts of his tires.

Regards, Rich.... aka "Rick"
Maybe I should have been clearer in my original post. I apologize if you took it the wrong way Rich.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-09-2008
bpolly_2004's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Huntsville mo
Posts: 559
i pull a boat in the summer and a utility trailer sometimes
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-13-2008
Bhavesh's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: City, State
Posts: 507
the previous owner used to pull a boat, but under my care it wasn't towing, but rather being towed...by an F150...out from being stuck in the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1K
Maybe I should have been clearer in my original post. I apologize if you took it the wrong way Rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
LOL.. sorry "Rob".

You make valid points about not knowing all the facts of his tires.

Regards, Rich.... aka "Rick"

wow...I'm glad to see that forum discussion can still be civil nowadays!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-14-2008
RangerEdge4x4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcat
Dodge's of course....lol



To funny.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1991 ranger w/ factory towing pkg- how to tell its towing capicity? peteranger General Technical & Electrical 4 03-04-2012 10:12 PM
First time towing with 04 ranger..no REAL power towing Ranger_Johnny 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 30 07-19-2007 08:43 PM
Towing a boat.... markymarc General Ford Ranger Discussion 4 05-19-2005 07:02 PM
Towing capability and upgrading it Jonesy2081 Exterior Semi-Tech 5 04-11-2005 03:50 PM
Towing a Load PharmRanger4x4 General Technical & Electrical 13 02-09-2005 06:38 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:55 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.