trick with remote unlock - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-16-2007
My05edge's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 1,351
trick with remote unlock

idk if it works, but im gonna try it....
Cool Discovery

This only applies to cars that can be unlocked by remote button. Should you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are home.

If some one has access to the spare remote have them telephone you on your cell phone.

Hold your (or anyone's) cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person press the unlock button, hold it near the phone.

Your car will unlock. I tried it and it works. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-16-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greene, NY
Posts: 14
Locked my keys in the car 30 miles away from home earlier this summer. Gave this a shot and it didn't work. Tried holding the phone any distance from 1 inch to several feet and no luck. Tried holding it on an angle, and even by the trunk. Still no luck. Even had my daughter hang up the home phone (land line) and call back on her cell -- still nothing. Got a ride home, grabbed the keys my daughter was using over the phone, pulled in next to my car and the first click opened the door - so I know the sending unit worked fine.

I'm inclined to say its a myth......
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-16-2007
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Most likely a myth. Ranger RKE works by radio frequency transmission, not by audible sound.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-16-2007
BILLZFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Worth, IL
Posts: 248
Myth Busted.
clicky
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-16-2007
winks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jackson, New Jersey
Posts: 4,872
I checked snopes on this a while ago. Usually the only way the trick works for people is when they're still within the radius that the remote will unlock the doors.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-16-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Plymouth,Mi
Posts: 47
My Radius is like 20feet >.> Does anyone else not get a large radius for there remote to work? Sometimes it works further but mainly I need to be pretty damn close to the car for it to work.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-16-2007
Brit-ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Corey
My Radius is like 20feet >.> Does anyone else not get a large radius for there remote to work? Sometimes it works further but mainly I need to be pretty damn close to the car for it to work.

Change your remote batterys imo
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-16-2007
FireRanger's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
This is the biggest load of BS ever. 100% impossible.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-16-2007
camodown's Avatar
Lost in Nowhere
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 5,029
Mine works a long way. People always say mine works a lot further than theirs so idk what the deal is.

You can always put it under your chin and click it, will get out a little farther.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-16-2007
winks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Jackson, New Jersey
Posts: 4,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by camodown

You can always put it under your chin and click it, will get out a little farther.
Huh? Whatchu talkin about?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-16-2007
camodown's Avatar
Lost in Nowhere
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 5,029
If you put the flat part of the clicker against your chin it will reach out farther.

Walk away from your truck and get to where it won't work anymore and then try it and I bet it will reach.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-24-2007
Red01Ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 15
The explanation I was given is that any fillings in your teeth will amplify the remote's signal. I admit, I did try it when the remote batteries were dying, and it did seem to help.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-24-2007
FireRanger's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
That is also total BS. That isn't how radio transmitters work. The ONLY reason it might work better against your chin is because it is up higher and out in front of your body. There is nothing in your body that will help amplify, reflect, refract, or improve your keyfob.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-24-2007
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger
That is also total BS. That isn't how radio transmitters work. The ONLY reason it might work better against your chin is because it is up higher and out in front of your body. There is nothing in your body that will help amplify, reflect, refract, or improve your keyfob.
Heh actually, you don't know how radio transmitters work.

Quote:
Your son's car remote control has a miniature radio transmitter that is built into the key ring and which sends a coded message to a receiver in the car. You don't have to point the device directly at the receiver in the car, but it will help to increase the range if you press the remote control against your body. In fact, any part of the body will do, not just your chin. Arms and legs work too. And you can have endless fun pointing your bum at your car while pressing the key ring against your buttocks.

The range over which the remote control operates nearly doubles when you involve your body because your body picks up the radio signal and acts like a large aerial, transmitting it more effectively to the car.

The key and the body act like the two plates of a capacitor separated by an electrical insulator. When an electric charge flows into or out of one of the plates, the electrostatic effect drives a similar charge into or out of the other. Although no charge actually crosses the insulator, a current appears to flow for a while until the capacitor is fully charged. Applying a varying current to one plate means that the capacitor never gets fully charged and a current appears to flow indefinitely through the second plate.

This phenomenon, which is called capacitive coupling, works best with rapidly varying currents, which is exactly what the radio transmitter in the key ring produces.

Because it operates at a frequency of 433 megahertz, the current from the key can cross the insulating barriers of your clothing and skin to reach the conducting interior of your body. Your body then acts as a giant aerial when you press your remote control against it
Oh snap! Go back to college!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-24-2007
rideabikenick's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Deltona, Fl.
Posts: 3,486
i dont really think that works...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-24-2007
GrafixGuy's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 8,703
my 07 signal range sucks... you have to be at least 10-12 ft. by it... is there any mod you can do to boost the signal?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-25-2007
FireRanger's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
Aaron, that is about as much fact as holding it up to a cell phone 100 miles away. You found what amounts to a well written pile of bull. Your body does not radiate RF and if you knew squat about antennas, you'd know that even if your body could radiate RF, it still wouldn't do you any good in this scenario. Its a lie.

BTW, do you maintain a fleet of 200 portable and mobile radios plus infrastructure where some components cost more than a Ford Ranger to begin with? No, I don't think so. Trust me, that thing you found is BS.

Oh snap. Go back to your igloo.

Last edited by FireRanger; 09-25-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-25-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
your signature says it all Matt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger's signature
Radio Engineer
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-25-2007
greygooseranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,293
^^^Pwnd...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-25-2007
CanadianXLT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moncton
Posts: 447
this might work tho.. http://www.metacafe.com/w/358044
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-25-2007
turbo's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 565
LOL!

The item he pointed at, and to which he soldered that wire is known as a crystal not an antenna, and is even notated as such (XTAL) on the circuit board.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-25-2007
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
I'm the last person on the face of the earth to give electrical advise. However I did try the chin thing.

On my 06 FX I can walk away from the truck until it does'nt work anymore. Then walk an additional 25-30ft away. Hold the transmitter up against the bottom side of my chin / throat. Open mouth and push lock or unlock.

It works every time.

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-25-2007
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger
Aaron, that is about as much fact as holding it up to a cell phone 100 miles away. You found what amounts to a well written pile of bull. Your body does not radiate RF and if you knew squat about antennas, you'd know that even if your body could radiate RF, it still wouldn't do you any good in this scenario. Its a lie.

BTW, do you maintain a fleet of 200 portable and mobile radios plus infrastructure where some components cost more than a Ford Ranger to begin with? No, I don't think so. Trust me, that thing you found is BS.

Oh snap. Go back to your igloo.

A) Your job sounds like you *maintain*. Awesome dude, a janitor *maintains* a public bathroom.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-25-2007
Rockledge's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
A) Your job sounds like you *maintain*. Awesome dude, a janitor *maintains* a public bathroom.
And engineers with PhD's *maintain* the space shuttle. So what's your point?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-25-2007
Steve_O113's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 562
he got pwnd and he doesnt like it
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lock binding, now won't unlock when opened from inside afxman General Technical & Electrical 1 06-08-2010 05:32 PM
Want to Buy: Power Door Lock/Unlock Switch for '03 (OH) Austin1 Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 4 02-04-2010 11:01 AM
door unlock problem , any ideas joshtank Exterior Semi-Tech 6 09-30-2009 12:17 PM
Remote entry won't unlock (both sides, same time) Crunchy General Technical & Electrical 5 04-28-2009 01:09 PM
Kenwood DDX512 unlock code? bpolly_2004 Audio & Video Tech 0 04-29-2008 02:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.