Grinding noises? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-26-2006
riggie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VT
Posts: 7
Grinding noises?

Hello all. First post here, but I've been around for a little while.

Anyway, each and every day on my way to work, I back out of my driveway and turn a fairly hard left in order to get into the road. And, each and every day I do this, I hear a loud grinding sound that seems to be coming from the right wheel area. I have mentioned it to the dealer twice, and both times, they say there is no grinding sound and nothing wrong. They even had me mimick the move at the dealership to no avail. But, I literally have been hearing this sound every day since I bought the truck two years ago (usually when i first start her up to head to work).

Also, when I turn on my a/c right after starting the truck, it makes a hell of a grinding sound, like metal on metal, for maybe a second. Guess what....dealer says nothing wrong there either. It only does it when I first start the truck after it's been sitting overnight, or all day while at work, and it doesn't do it every single time (maybe 8 out of 10 times).

Any ideas for me, or am I just going crazy? I do love Ford. I just bought my wife an '06 Escape Limited AWD back in Feb, so I hope the Ford dealer is not just jerking me around...

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-26-2006
SteveOh's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Campbell Kentucky
Posts: 4,585
Also, when I turn on my a/c right after starting the truck, it makes a hell of a grinding sound, like metal on metal, for maybe a second. Guess what....dealer says nothing wrong there either. It only does it when I first start the truck after it's been sitting overnight, or all day while at work, and it doesn't do it every single time (maybe 8 out of 10 times).

compressor clutch engauging?? mine makes a loud clank noise when it engauges....might be what yours is doing...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2006
SteveOh's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Campbell Kentucky
Posts: 4,585
Anyway, each and every day on my way to work, I back out of my driveway and turn a fairly hard left in order to get into the road. And, each and every day I do this, I hear a loud grinding sound that seems to be coming from the right wheel area. I have mentioned it to the dealer twice, and both times, they say there is no grinding sound and nothing wrong. They even had me mimick the move at the dealership to no avail. But, I literally have been hearing this sound every day since I bought the truck two years ago (usually when i first start her up to head to work).



what size tires u running??? could just be grinding on the plastic inner fender.....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-26-2006
riggie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VT
Posts: 7
what size tires u running??? could just be grinding on the plastic inner fender.....

Ummmm....not sure, whatever comes with it as standard. They are still the original tires-I've only got 9k miles on it so far, had it for 27 months now. Haven't had to deal with tires yet, though I should know what size they are.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-26-2006
SteveOh's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Campbell Kentucky
Posts: 4,585
most likely they are 31"s......i could be wrong (someone correct me if iam wrong) when i was stock my truck came with 31" tires and when i turned to full lock to the drivers side the tire on the drivers side would rub on that hump on the plastic inner fender...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-26-2006
SteveOh's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Campbell Kentucky
Posts: 4,585
go look in your wheel well and turn the steering wheel to full lock and see if its close to that plastic....and see if there are any wear spots in the plastic...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-26-2006
riggie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VT
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUB Offroad Edition
most likely they are 31"s......i could be wrong (someone correct me if iam wrong) when i was stock my truck came with 31" tires and when i turned to full lock to the drivers side the tire on the drivers side would rub on that hump on the plastic inner fender...
Hmmm...the noise in mine seems to be on the passenger side, but there are no rub marks according to the dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-26-2006
rideac1's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Kensington, PA
Posts: 1,087
I have 31's and there's absolutely no rub until full uptravel when jumping.

It could possibly be rubbing something if the mud guard is loose. Go check for yourself and see if there's any rub marks anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-27-2006
riggie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VT
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideac1
I have 31's and there's absolutely no rub until full uptravel when jumping.

It could possibly be rubbing something if the mud guard is loose. Go check for yourself and see if there's any rub marks anywhere.
Just checked-no rub marks visible on either side. Also, as for the grinding noise when I turn on the a/c, well it happened this morning. Being that it was only 45 degress here in VT this am, I certainly did not have the a/c on, yet the sound was still there. Almost like what I'd imagine a fan blade might sound like hitting against something just a little. It only lasted a second as always, so who knows?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-28-2006
SouthernMudSlinger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Demorest,Ga
Posts: 1,724
Thats odd, i've heard a weird noise a couple times when turning to the sharp left........it doesn't happen often at all, but that time it did, after i parked, I went around back to make sure the rear wheels were still where they were suppost to be. lol (because I think its got a noticeable amount of play in the rear end, you know, having 138k miles on it and all. lol)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-29-2006
riggie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VT
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMudSlinger
Thats odd, i've heard a weird noise a couple times when turning to the sharp left........it doesn't happen often at all, but that time it did, after i parked, I went around back to make sure the rear wheels were still where they were suppost to be. lol (because I think its got a noticeable amount of play in the rear end, you know, having 138k miles on it and all. lol)
LOL yeah, well luckily mine's only got 9500 miles on 'er.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-29-2006
67cobain94's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vero Beach, Florida
Posts: 708
This sounds like a case of suspension stops to me. If you're backing out with the wheel cut all the way to either side and it's making noise I'd say there's a 95% chance the noise you're hearing is the steering spindle stopping on the control arm which is absolutely normal at full turn. The only way to quiet it is to put something like anti-seize on the spindle at the spots it touches the control arm which should be very noticeable. Grinding sound is just the A/C compressor engaging it just depends on severity and how accustomed you are to it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-30-2006
riggie's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VT
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cobain94
This sounds like a case of suspension stops to me. If you're backing out with the wheel cut all the way to either side and it's making noise I'd say there's a 95% chance the noise you're hearing is the steering spindle stopping on the control arm which is absolutely normal at full turn. The only way to quiet it is to put something like anti-seize on the spindle at the spots it touches the control arm which should be very noticeable. Grinding sound is just the A/C compressor engaging it just depends on severity and how accustomed you are to it.
I assume that the a/c compressor does not engage if the a/c is not turned on, correct?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-30-2006
SteveOh's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Campbell Kentucky
Posts: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggie
I assume that the a/c compressor does not engage if the a/c is not turned on, correct?
iut will come on in heat or cool...noticed that on mine...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-04-2007
gharger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wofford Heights, Ca
Posts: 2
The a/c compressor Will come on, on the defroster setting.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Ranger Is Making Strange Grinding Noises chefdough 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 0 01-08-2012 08:07 PM
i haven't been here in awhile. but i got bad noises.. EDGE57 Suspension Tech 10 05-20-2006 09:20 PM
Strange noises!!! RicksTJR General Ford Ranger Discussion 17 03-24-2006 08:15 PM
I hate these weird noises sassy General Technical & Electrical 13 12-02-2005 10:01 PM
turning wheel to left and breakin I hear Clickin noises... GregsEdge General Ford Ranger Discussion 6 06-27-2004 08:45 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.