Tail light keeps burning out... thoughts? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-12-2010
rngprerunner's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach CA
Posts: 3,453
Tail light keeps burning out... thoughts?

Not on my truck but I have a friend whos truck keeps burning out brake lights. The tail light filament is just fine but it eats through brake lights. Any thoughts on what could be causing it?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-12-2010
BettyVo7Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Niagara Falls, New York
Posts: 695
check for a short
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2010
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
Check to see how much voltage at the connector when brakes applied. Try long life bulbs...such as an 1157LL
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2010
shizzy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Roseville, mn
Posts: 99
he doesn't drive two footed does he?

I had a friend who complained about all of his vehicles ate brake pads......

then I realised he drove with his left foot resting on the brake pedal.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-16-2010
rngprerunner's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach CA
Posts: 3,453
No other thoughts on this? Man I miss Griggs...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-16-2010
Silver's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: edenton,nc
Posts: 2,708
its a short in the system..... where is the true ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2010
annguyen1981's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicopee, MA
Posts: 1,888
Short.
Bad ground.
bad connector to the bulb.
Condensation forming inside the taillight housing.

I know there was another one that I had in my head, but after typing those 4, I can't remember.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-16-2010
rngprerunner's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach CA
Posts: 3,453
Short should blow the fuse, no?

Bad ground would cause the light to just be out, not burn out filaments on the brake side. (dual filament)

Bad connector is possible, but it's still burning them out, not just a wiggle it and it's fixed scenario.

Housing is clear of condensation.

This is why this has me stumped, all of the typical easy fix solutions are fine. My only thought is that the truck is some how over powering the brake light circuit, but why then only the right side and not left too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annguyen1981 View Post
Short.
Bad ground.
bad connector to the bulb.
Condensation forming inside the taillight housing.

I know there was another one that I had in my head, but after typing those 4, I can't remember.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-16-2010
annguyen1981's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicopee, MA
Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by rngprerunner View Post
Short should blow the fuse, no?

Bad ground would cause the light to just be out, not burn out filaments on the brake side. (dual filament)

Bad connector is possible, but it's still burning them out, not just a wiggle it and it's fixed scenario.

Housing is clear of condensation.

This is why this has me stumped, all of the typical easy fix solutions are fine. My only thought is that the truck is some how over powering the brake light circuit, but why then only the right side and not left too?
The short, bad ground, and bad connector COULD cause the wires to overwork and create more heat. I had fixed my parent's conversion van blower motor because the power connector was almost completely corroded. Somehow that made the connector REALLY hot and melt and the fuses to blow.

I spliced in a new connector and everything was fixed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-16-2010
lumpy4000's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Posts: 379
a short wont always blow a fuse.... depends where it is in the system. bad ground would cause it to not work...

also, dont touch the bulb with your bare fingers when installing it, the oil from your fingers will cause it to burn out prematurely....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-16-2010
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
Did you check voltage at the connector??
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-16-2010
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by annguyen1981 View Post
The short, bad ground, and bad connector COULD cause the wires to overwork and create more heat. I had fixed my parent's conversion van blower motor because the power connector was almost completely corroded. Somehow that made the connector REALLY hot and melt and the fuses to blow.

I spliced in a new connector and everything was fixed.

Corrosion creates resistance, resistance creates heat, that's how it melted, more the likely letting the terminals of the connector touch and blow the fuse.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1999 XLT 2.5 keeps burning out blower motor speed resistor MarkyMark SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 2 11-01-2012 12:43 AM
Want to Trade: My blacked out 06+ tail lights for stock 06+ tail lights - NC Taylor Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 3 07-01-2012 08:55 PM
burning out DPFE's on 2k 2.5L??? burney3000 SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 0 06-29-2010 07:20 PM
I think my turn signal ticker is burning out... FMD General Technical & Electrical 8 11-26-2008 03:11 PM
Tail Light Mod to end all Tail Light Mods......Pics galore.... Jp7 Snapshots 80 09-02-2008 09:39 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:05 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.