Blue 04 Cruise Control - Page 4 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Interior Semi-Tech General discussion of interior for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #76  
Old 04-06-2009
effexfour's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 866
I've gotta see this red led mod, I want to do it! Blue is cool too but red light does not reduce your night vision as much as other colors. And it would look much better than the green/orange christmas tree lookin stock colors.. Plus it will match my exterior, unless i paint it flat black, which i might.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-06-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
I really doubt it, in Ford Theory, the SJB is married to the Cluster and the PCM. This happens after assembly during standard programming.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-06-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by effexfour View Post
I've gotta see this red led mod, I want to do it! Blue is cool too but red light does not reduce your night vision as much as other colors. And it would look much better than the green/orange christmas tree lookin stock colors.. Plus it will match my exterior, unless i paint it flat black, which i might.
I don't have any problems with it reducing my night vision. I don't understand what you mean.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-06-2009
effexfour's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
I don't have any problems with it reducing my night vision. I don't understand what you mean.
It might not make much of a noticeable difference but when driving on dark highways i will dim my dash lights, and your iris's will let more light in and you can see better. And supposedly red light reduces this over other colors of light. I just thought it makes sense that dash lights be red for this reason.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-06-2009
edgeman4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: All Over
Posts: 1,475
i'm just trying to get my damned cruise control lights to work.. let alone make them l.e.d. haha good work tho cam.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 04-07-2009
fordlife's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lemoore CA/561, Fl
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOunplugged View Post
So you changed clusters and it started fine?
yes, i just drove it to wal mart. the mileage is stored in the cluster, but im far from being under warranty and the cluster i bought was close in mileage to the original.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 04-07-2009
Schlitter22's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: W, Oregon
Posts: 90
has anyone used red LED's in the gauge yet? Now i'm wondering if I should do red or blue
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-07-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Yeah one guy did, he doesn't frequent here that much though. I'm forgetting his name right now, it will come to me later.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 04-07-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitter22 View Post
has anyone used red LED's in the gauge yet? Now i'm wondering if I should do red or blue
I think as of right now (until Cameron does) I am the only one to do a full component LED (or non plugin LED) swap on an 04+. If I had to do it over again I would not use the components, I would use the oznium ribbon strips as I have seen how awesome they are compared to anything else.

Oznium sells these in RED you can get them. I'm using them on my Evo in Red.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 04-08-2009
Pyrofallout's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 121
So by doing the Oz strips I assume you actually have to take the needles off and remove the face?
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 04-08-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
So by doing the Oz strips I assume you actually have to take the needles off and remove the face?
Yes, you have to completely dissasemble the cluster. Don't be scared by this as I've posted plenty of videos on how to do it. Besides, if you want to do any color besides the stock color, you will need to remove the needles and pull the faces off to sand off the "green slime film" on the back.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-08-2009
Pyrofallout's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
Yes, you have to completely dissasemble the cluster. Don't be scared by this as I've posted plenty of videos on how to do it. Besides, if you want to do any color besides the stock color, you will need to remove the needles and pull the faces off to sand off the "green slime film" on the back.
I have white face gauges from the factory. I was told the green lighting behind them was just from the bulbs and the green circuit board. Is the white face gauges actually coated green on the backside?
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-08-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Correct, the bulbs are clear. The green comes from the coating on the back of the gauges.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 04-08-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Correct, the bulbs are clear. The green comes from the coating on the back of the gauges.
Thanks - you saved me some keystrokes
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 04-09-2009
Schlitter22's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: W, Oregon
Posts: 90
i ordered some of the blue strips last night.

so what kind of wiring should be used with these/what gauge?
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 04-09-2009
TrePaul86's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 1,369
No more than say..... 18ga. LED's don't draw amperage, thus no need for big wire to carry amperage.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 04-09-2009
MOTOunplugged's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Covington, Georgia
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitter22 View Post
i ordered some of the blue strips last night.

so what kind of wiring should be used with these/what gauge?
I've got some 26 gauge I'm going to use. I think it should work fine. I wouldn't go any bigger than 22.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 04-09-2009
TrePaul86's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
I have white face gauges from the factory. I was told the green lighting behind them was just from the bulbs and the green circuit board. Is the white face gauges actually coated green on the backside?
Follow my how-to... That Trent has yet to move to the actual how-to on converting to LED's and/or chaning the gauge color.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 04-09-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
I used 20 gauge wiring for mine.

This is the product I love for clusters.





Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 04-09-2009
Pyrofallout's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 121
So you guys doing the strip conversions...just a few more questions. How many strips did you use total (AC and cluster)?

Did you convert your 4x4 switch/headlight switch/cruise control and if so did you make the strips work or did you go about it a different way?

Did you guys actually paint the back of your gauge faces or just take the factory paint of and put in colored LED's?

Last edited by Pyrofallout; 04-09-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 04-09-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
So you guys doing the strip conversions...just a few more questions. How many strips did you use total (AC and cluster)?
I have not done a Ranger cluster with the strips yet, these are just example pictures from the oznium site.

Quote:
Did you convert your 4x4 switch/headlight switch/cruise control and if so did you make the strips work or did you go about it a different way?
No I used the standard proven way of doing it, however I don't like to "sand off the surface of the LED", I use 360 degree LED's instead.

Quote:
Did you guys actually paint the back of your gauge faces or just take the factory paint of and put in colored LED's?
Colored LED's everytime. However those with only 2 pedals MAY have to use paint behind the PRNDL as I hear the color does not sand off. I cannot comment on this as I have 3 pedals.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue HVAC control 03ranger Interior Semi-Tech 8 03-23-2010 04:28 PM
Modding cruise control to a non cruise Ranger 2001fordranger General Technical & Electrical 1 07-29-2009 11:58 PM
fixing cruise control on 2003 model wildbill83 General Technical & Electrical 6 05-13-2006 08:44 AM
Using Cruise Control buttons to control the Volume GVSU Godfather Audio & Video Tech 23 05-29-2005 07:39 PM
Adding LED's to cruise control pods how-to n3elz Interior Semi-Tech 4 11-21-2004 09:02 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:51 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.