I want it LOUD!!!! - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


New Ideas Have a new idea for your Ford Ranger? General discussion of new ideas for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 06-04-2008
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
It doesn't even have to be a knock-off. Look up the MAC Flowpath mufflers -The interior baffling if quite a bit different than Flowmaster and most say they sound better than the 40 series. I also think they are available in SS, something Flowmaster is not good about.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-04-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
I say he wants it loud then run nothing. No manifold or anything. You will be the coolest guy on the street.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-04-2008
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
I say he wants it loud then run nothing. No manifold or anything. You will be the coolest guy on the street.
Till he melts all of the wiring under the hood and the truck catches on fire.

DOOOOO EEEETTT!

XD
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-04-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFranger View Post
Till he melts all of the wiring under the hood and the truck catches on fire.

DOOOOO EEEETTT!

XD
Hey. The louder you are the cooler your are right?

Also everyone will be jealous that the flames on your hood are realistic looking.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-04-2008
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
Hey. The louder you are the cooler your are right?

Also everyone will be jealous that the flames on your hood are realistic looking.
I'm down. Prolly gonna pick up madd performance too. Our exhaust wont be low restriction, it will be NO restriction.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-04-2008
Urandaman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: wher ever uncle sam wants
Posts: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4 View Post
It doesn't even have to be a knock-off. Look up the MAC Flowpath mufflers -The interior baffling if quite a bit different than Flowmaster and most say they sound better than the 40 series. I also think they are available in SS, something Flowmaster is not good about.
+1 on MAC, my friend had flow****ters on his mustang then switched to MACs and DAMN, such a beautiful sound echoed from the shop when we fired it up haha
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-04-2008
DangaRanger99's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farmington, NH
Posts: 1,209
Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Borla or Vortex (made by cherry bomb) sound good...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-04-2008
leadfoot's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 894
If you want it loud then run a hood stack and you might as well throw on some flame injectors while youre at it.

I have a new Bassani exhaust but havent put it on yet. Looking at the inside of the muffler it is a double flow through design.

Name:  IMG_0014.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  20.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0016.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  33.6 KB

Last edited by leadfoot; 06-04-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-04-2008
JakeH05's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Elberton, GA
Posts: 695
Which would sound better with duals? super 44 or super 40 maybe remove one cat
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-04-2008
Boomdock's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington, IA
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFranger View Post
I dont know about any of the new florwmasters but the original ones were a maze of baffles and turns the exhaust gasses had to pass through. They flowed better than almost any OEM muffler and had a good sound to them but there were/are plenty of other mufflers that flowed better.
X2. Flowmaster may sound good, but they're horrible for performance. Many see a lose of torque after just swapping mufflers (F150 site I'm on). Just how "free flowing" are they with their baffles that your exhaust has to work its way through. It's like a mouse trying to find its way through a maze to the cheese... Sort of. Any straight through muffler (Magnaflow, Dynomax Bullet, Borla, Corsa, ect.) will out perform it on the dyno.

It you want just sound, sure go with a Flowmaster, but if you want some performance as well... Hop off the bandwagon and go with something else.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-05-2008
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdock View Post
X2. Flowmaster may sound good, but they're horrible for performance. Many see a lose of torque after just swapping mufflers (F150 site I'm on). Just how "free flowing" are they with their baffles that your exhaust has to work its way through. It's like a mouse trying to find its way through a maze to the cheese... Sort of. Any straight through muffler (Magnaflow, Dynomax Bullet, Borla, Corsa, ect.) will out perform it on the dyno.

It you want just sound, sure go with a Flowmaster, but if you want some performance as well... Hop off the bandwagon and go with something else.

lol, its funny how mis-information can be distributed... IF ANYTHING a restrictive exhaust will produce more back pressure (to a point) which in turn will produce more torque (to a point)

Think about it..

If you removed all 4 cats from a ranger it would be doggy in the low end because you free'd up too much restriction. Imagine if you bought the truck with no cats and decided to install the 4 cats again, it would seem much more peppy in the low end range.

So if a chambered muffler is "restrictive" it shouldnt have the "low-end loss". If anything, it is more free flowing than the OEM muffler, but not as free flowing as a straight through muffler.

Now im not saying a straight through muffler will net a "low-end loss", but theoretically it shouldnt really put as much of a gain in the low end as it would in the top end RPM Range.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-05-2008
99MazdaB4000's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,980
gibson
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-05-2008
Thorny073's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California, Ky
Posts: 621
For now i think i'm just gonna go with the muff i have now...see how it sounds...and save up for somethin else in the future
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-06-2008
08XLT4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: bomba shack
Posts: 3,257
Loud is annoying. Get a Magnaflow or Borla. Those sound really good without giving you a headache from the resonation
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-06-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
go to this website: www.holley.com and click on the flowtech logo and click terminator mufflers. go with a single 3 inch inlet and dual 2.5 inch outlets muffler and install 6 inches behind cab with no tips or nothing. It will sound like an earthquake inside the cab with the windows up and set off FACTORY INSTALLED CAR ALARMS on certain makes and models. In fact with with the 4.0 it will sound even better. Mine is a 3.0 and it sounded like Paul Jr's green and black web bike off american chopper when I let off the gas. It will sound even better on a 4.0.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-06-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08XLT4x4 View Post
Loud is annoying. Get a Magnaflow or Borla. Those sound really good without giving you a headache from the resonation
He'll learn with that muffler I just listed. I only changed it because I got tired of being deaf for an hour after I shut the motor off.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-07-2008
Boomdock's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington, IA
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4 View Post
lol, its funny how mis-information can be distributed... IF ANYTHING a restrictive exhaust will produce more back pressure (to a point) which in turn will produce more torque (to a point)
LMFAO! It is quite funny.





It has nothing to do with backpressure.

The lose of torque when people install Slowmasters is from a decrease in exhaust gas velocity.

In a good exhaust system, you want as little backpressure as possible with as high exhaust gas velocity as possible. Too many people think there is a connection between performance and backpressure, there is none.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-07-2008
Lord Of War's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 4,599
From what I have heard on this site (video's and comments) Borla's are not that loud. Magnaflow is decent, and flowmaster is going to be by far the loudest of the three mufflers.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-11-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 890
Of those three yes. That terminator muffler I had was way louder and deepr than even flowmaster's Super 40 muffler.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-11-2008
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdock View Post
LMFAO! It is quite funny.





It has nothing to do with backpressure.

The lose of torque when people install Slowmasters is from a decrease in exhaust gas velocity.

In a good exhaust system, you want as little backpressure as possible with as high exhaust gas velocity as possible. Too many people think there is a connection between performance and backpressure, there is none.
How can you have a decrease in exhaust gas velocity when you go from a stock muffler to a (2) chambered muffler?

Also, did you read what i wrote about the Cats...?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-11-2008
mhughes165's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Browns Mills, NJ
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorny073 View Post
For now i think i'm just gonna go with the muff i have now...see how it sounds...and save up for somethin else in the future
run the hooker u got, they actually sound REALLY good, ive run them on many different trucks....
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-11-2008
Boomdock's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington, IA
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4 View Post
How can you have a decrease in exhaust gas velocity when you go from a stock muffler to a (2) chambered muffler?

Also, did you read what i wrote about the Cats...?
Because your exhaust now has work/push it's way around and through those baffles, it lowers the exhaust gas velocity. Your muffler now becomes the "bottleneck" of the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4 View Post
If you removed all 4 cats from a ranger it would be doggy in the low end because you free'd up too much restriction. Imagine if you bought the truck with no cats and decided to install the 4 cats again, it would seem much more peppy in the low end range.
Great example. Sorry I missed that.

Cutting all 4 cats and replacing them with straight pipes would remove a lot of restriction/backpressure. However, your exhaust gases have also lowered substantially. At this point you have very little backpressure and very low exhaust gas velcities. To remedy this, the exhaust pipe diameter would have to decrease a lot to bring up the exhaust gas velocities (and you'd also keep the low backpressure you had before).
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-11-2008
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdock View Post
Because your exhaust now has work/push it's way around and through those baffles, it lowers the exhaust gas velocity. Your muffler now becomes the "bottleneck" of the system.

Great example. Sorry I missed that.

Cutting all 4 cats and replacing them with straight pipes would remove a lot of restriction/backpressure. However, your exhaust gases have also lowered substantially. At this point you have very little backpressure and very low exhaust gas velcities. To remedy this, the exhaust pipe diameter would have to decrease a lot to bring up the exhaust gas velocities (and you'd also keep the low backpressure you had before).
Well what i am saying is the OEM mufflers do have chambers and baffles of sorts - If you replace it with a 2-chambered or even a 3 chambered it should "out-flow" the OEM muffler and net a gain, not a loss.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-12-2008
hittheball's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Apex
Posts: 35
A buddy of mine has the exact truck you have with true dual empty glass packs, it dosn't pop at all and sounds like hes got a bigger engine than he really does. My flowmaster sounds really good, but i rep that 3.0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i dont really want the lift, or need it, but i want the big tire look. B-Dunk88 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 29 04-03-2009 10:26 AM
Sorry, want to buy want to ask before puntadigital General Ford Ranger Discussion 14 11-27-2007 11:35 AM
I want it to be LOUD!!! invidregent99 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 28 03-28-2007 12:47 AM
Want to mod, but want to keep warranty (some mods listed) TommyC General Ford Ranger Discussion 11 08-01-2006 04:53 PM
I want my truck to be loud but not too loud Jardo87 Ranger-Forums Office 35 07-03-2005 05:46 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:21 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.