ORW COIL-OVER CONVERSION BRACKETS - Page 5 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Off Road Warehouse Fox, Bilstein, ORI Baja, JBA, AFE, MagnaFlow, K&N, RCD, Superlift, Deaver, Bestop and more - Ford Ranger Accessories

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #101  
Old 01-09-2010
Corkey's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: sioux narrows,ontario
Posts: 83
well, i think maybe we should post a design in here or start a new thrread about the bumpstops,,

mine are gonna be made out of some triangles of 1/4 inch plate stock and in the shape of a triangle, than welded right onto the engine cross member of my explorer with a factory bumpstop bolted on the bottom of it, at just a little less than full compression, so the shock cannot bottom out, but it can carry the weight of the truck, gonna be hefty for that ,
  #102  
Old 01-09-2010
yenmaster's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sequim,WA
Posts: 17
So if i have a superlift on my truck, can i just take the drop bracket off when i install this kit to bring it back to stock?
  #103  
Old 01-09-2010
Corkey's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: sioux narrows,ontario
Posts: 83
depends on the coilover length you get , if they are the right length yes you can, just remove the drop brackets, and even put the t bars back on too if you wish,

this means it can be moved to another truck if you desire,
  #104  
Old 01-09-2010
yenmaster's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sequim,WA
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
depends on the coilover length you get , if they are the right length yes you can, just remove the drop brackets, and even put the t bars back on too if you wish,

this means it can be moved to another truck if you desire,
I just wanna put this kit on and take the drop bracket off, so that will work? I have to take the t bars off when i put this kit on, dont i. This replaces the t bars with coilovers.

you know what length i need if i take the bracket off?
  #105  
Old 01-09-2010
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Which drop bracket are you wanting to take off, and why? You won't be able to get the same amount of lift if you start taking drop brackets off. It will put the suspension components in a bind.
  #106  
Old 01-09-2010
yenmaster's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sequim,WA
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
Which drop bracket are you wanting to take off, and why? You won't be able to get the same amount of lift if you start taking drop brackets off. It will put the suspension components in a bind.
The drop bracket that comes with the superlift. So i cant really do it without possibly breaking something. wouldnt it just be back to stock if i took it off.
By the way i wanna take it off and sell it if possible. Not really a fan of the drop down brakcets.
  #107  
Old 01-09-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dunlevy Pa
Posts: 18
If im correct...I can't remember 100% but didnt the RCD lift come with the drop brackets on bottom and just kinda curved/stepped down upper control arms? Any thoughts on fabbing these up ORW and selling it as an entire lift kit. To replace the RCD Kit? Price it right and you could way out sell Superlift! Most guys I talk to loved the RCD kit just not the price.
  #108  
Old 01-10-2010
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenmaster View Post
The drop bracket that comes with the superlift. So i cant really do it without possibly breaking something. wouldnt it just be back to stock if i took it off.
By the way i wanna take it off and sell it if possible. Not really a fan of the drop down brakcets.
You either have to leave ALL drop brackets and the Superlift knuckle's on, or take everything off. Regardless, you have to keep the drop brackets if you want to net the same amount of lift.
  #109  
Old 01-10-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Garner,NC
Posts: 255
I'm really looking into buying this kit but you guys are talking about where you can mount the top. Where would be the best place to mount this? If I get this I have to have my grandfather come over to my house and weld this (cause I don't have a welder) but I want to have everything set up before then so what all do I need to set up first?
Thanks
  #110  
Old 01-10-2010
yenmaster's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sequim,WA
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
You either have to leave ALL drop brackets and the Superlift knuckle's on, or take everything off. Regardless, you have to keep the drop brackets if you want to net the same amount of lift.
Ok, sorry for being annoying but... so if i got stock nuckles and took the drop brackets off then i could run this coilover conversion with the stock front end? i dont want a super high lift, 2 maybe 3" is good with me.

thanks for the help
  #111  
Old 01-10-2010
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenmaster View Post
Ok, sorry for being annoying but... so if i got stock nuckles and took the drop brackets off then i could run this coilover conversion with the stock front end? i dont want a super high lift, 2 maybe 3" is good with me.

thanks for the help
Yeah, you can convert to coilover's with a stock suspension. You will probably only get about 1.5" of lift with the stock suspension though. Much more, if any, will start to put too much of a bind on the suspension components.
  #112  
Old 01-10-2010
yenmaster's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sequim,WA
Posts: 17
Thanks alot!!
  #113  
Old 01-11-2010
acortez's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 127
Just to be sure I am hearing this correctly. With stock suspension, the ORW coil-over conversion kit will add approx. 1.5" of lift to the front end. This is for all rangers 98+ or just for 2008+ rangers?
  #114  
Old 01-11-2010
Corkey's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: sioux narrows,ontario
Posts: 83
depends entirely on how you set the ride hight wth the coilovers,, but you can set it to an almost infinite settings
  #115  
Old 01-11-2010
SparkYZ's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Posts: 679
I have shock hoops, so the top mount wont work for me. What's the pricing on just the lower mounts?
  #116  
Old 01-11-2010
08XLT4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: bomba shack
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkYZ View Post
I have shock hoops, so the top mount wont work for me. What's the pricing on just the lower mounts?
I would suggest just calling ORW directly. Those guys are all really helpful and I am sure they will sell you just the lower mounts
  #117  
Old 01-11-2010
David N's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Williamston, NC
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by acortez View Post
Just to be sure I am hearing this correctly. With stock suspension, the ORW coil-over conversion kit will add approx. 1.5" of lift to the front end. This is for all rangers 98+ or just for 2008+ rangers?
Yes you can put this on a stock height ranger (98+). Im really thinking about doing it...
  #118  
Old 01-11-2010
t5cents's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eureka, CA
Posts: 1,521
so does the kit limit down travel at all because of the spring hitting the frame like that one guy said? also do u have to have limit straps and bumps? and how much travel do u get....im assuming its the same as stock....but does any one have any numbers? also does having the remote reservoir do any thing..does it make the shock better? and is this shock better than the dixon bros non coil shock? or would it be about the same with just more clearance because of no t-bars?
  #119  
Old 01-11-2010
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5cents View Post
so does the kit limit down travel at all because of the spring hitting the frame like that one guy said? also do u have to have limit straps and bumps? and how much travel do u get....im assuming its the same as stock....but does any one have any numbers? also does having the remote reservoir do any thing..does it make the shock better? and is this shock better than the dixon bros non coil shock? or would it be about the same with just more clearance because of no t-bars?
Basically the only thing that limits down-travel are the CV's, and the coilover springs due to space constraints. Limit straps are a necessity, and bump stops are highly recommended if you regularly compress the suspension. The coil-over's have 6.0" of travel for a Superlifted Ranger.

The biggest disadvantage of a "regular" shock is that when asked to endure sustained rough terrain, they can overheat. The result is that the shock loses its ability to dampen. Remote reservoir shocks can help solve this problem. They're designed with an external reservoir that increases fluid capacity. This increase in capacity helps lower fluid temperature.

What shocks come with the Dixon Bros. kit? Regardless, I am going to say that coil-over's are the way to go.

Last edited by KLC; 02-11-2010 at 08:57 PM.
  #120  
Old 01-11-2010
t5cents's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eureka, CA
Posts: 1,521
  #121  
Old 01-11-2010
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Are you talking about the shocks that come with the Performance Shock Upgrade Kit? No doubt that those are nice shocks, and they would definitely improve the ride quality. Although coil-over's would be even a step further because you are getting rid of the torsion bars.

You don't have a Superlift, do you? If not, I think Nick from ORW is recommending a 5.0" travel coil-over.

Last edited by KLC; 02-11-2010 at 08:58 PM.
  #122  
Old 01-11-2010
t5cents's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eureka, CA
Posts: 1,521
no i dont......but i am thinking about this kit very hard cause i need new shocks any way and it rides like **** now...lol
  #123  
Old 01-11-2010
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5cents View Post
no i dont......but i am thinking about this kit very hard cause i need new shocks any way and it rides like **** now...lol
This is definitely the way to go. I could not be happier. Jusk talk to Nick for exactly what coil-over you need. I know what you need for a Ranger with a Superlift/RCD, but I'm not quite sure for a stock set-up. I believe you need a 5.0" travel coil-over.

Last edited by KLC; 02-11-2010 at 09:00 PM.
  #124  
Old 01-11-2010
inh inh is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Riley, KS
Posts: 11
Recommended spring length? I know 2.25 ID springs are suggested, but I know of a couple guys running 2.5 ID with no issues, though it is cutting it close
  #125  
Old 01-11-2010
Corkey's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: sioux narrows,ontario
Posts: 83
recommended length is either 10 inch or 12 inch springs, and than you have to figure out what lbs per inch
i have mine on an Explorer with 800 lb springs, but they seem a bit harsh ,
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Coil Over Conversion Brackets Scott B. Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 2 01-08-2015 09:35 AM
For Sale: ME00stepside coil over brackets (MI) offroadjeepin Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 4 02-12-2014 10:10 PM
For Sale: ORW Coilover Brackets for Edge/4wd - AZ Robin Hood Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 11 09-04-2012 09:09 AM
Checking Interest: ORW Coilover Conversion Kosmo04 Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 29 08-30-2010 10:21 AM
Who's making the ORW shock hoop brackets now? hooch Suspension Tech 3 05-25-2010 07:05 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:17 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.