After Build "build" thread... - Page 6 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Project Logs For detailed builds specific to the Ford Ranger, one thread per vehicle please.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #126  
Old 05-21-2008
ShoNuff82's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Novi, Mi
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I would imagine you even have the possibility to trim the height of the frame rails under the body and do a minor boatside, am I correct?
The bottoms of the frame was cut off to make the flat belly completly flush with the bottom side of the frame. We cut a half inch off the bottom of the frame and then welded a tapped half inch plate to the bottom of the frame for the skid to bolt onto. It worked out great. Ill try and get some pics of it later.

We did cut the bottom 4 inches off the rockers to give it a minor boat side also.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 05-21-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoNuff82 View Post
The bottoms of the frame was cut off to make the flat belly completly flush with the bottom side of the frame. We cut a half inch off the bottom of the frame and then welded a tapped half inch plate to the bottom of the frame for the skid to bolt onto. It worked out great. Ill try and get some pics of it later.

We did cut the bottom 4 inches off the rockers to give it a minor boat side also.
definately have to see pics. once again, great build!!
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 05-24-2008
2002FX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoNuff82 View Post
Hopefully it inspires people to get more rangers out on the trail. Im sick of wheeling with jeep guys.

Right??


Takin' pages from you're book as you post 'em..

Great work, Chris!
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 05-25-2008
kisforkyle's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 20
amazing build dude!
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 05-27-2008
ShoNuff82's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Novi, Mi
Posts: 69
A little teaser until the old lady gets the rest of the pics online...

Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 05-27-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
just from one pic it looks like you had too much fun!
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 05-27-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
competition? looks like a lot of fun! where was this at?
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 05-27-2008
TrePaul86's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 1,369
Dayum!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 05-27-2008
INT3RC3PTOR's Avatar
Veteran Status Achieved
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesooooota
Posts: 8,203
awhhhh sheeeet
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 05-27-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
is that the new rock course in rose city?
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 05-27-2008
ShoNuff82's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Novi, Mi
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
competition? looks like a lot of fun! where was this at?
Yea it was a comp but i wasnt in it. I got invited but had a wedding to go to on that saturday. A bunch of my buddies were in it so i just showed up the second day to play around.

Same comp that i was in last year that was in Petersons and Crawl mag.

Quote:
is that the new rock course in rose city?
It was at Turtle Ridge ORV on Drummond Island in the Upper Peninsula of MI. I was planning on heading up to Rose City next weekend to check out the new course by my P.S. pump took a crap this weekend and Im not going to have time to change it so i will be a rider.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 05-27-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoNuff82 View Post
It was at Turtle Ridge ORV on Drummond Island in the Upper Peninsula of MI. I was planning on heading up to Rose City next weekend to check out the new course by my P.S. pump took a crap this weekend and Im not going to have time to change it so i will be a rider.
ah sweet, keep an eye out for my dads white edge.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 05-27-2008
ShoNuff82's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Novi, Mi
Posts: 69
Ok heres the rest...

Things I learned from the weekend.

1) Limit Straps are your freind with air shocks. I will be adding one to the front and shortening the on the rear. The front unloaded pretty bad when climbing ledges, even caused my d-shaft to come apart once.

2) Sway bars are also your freind. I'm going to add one to the rear as soon as i can free up some cash. Side hills are definatly interesting.

3) Im going to lower the suspension 2-3 inches. More like the pic when its pulled down on the trailer. My first shot a ride height was a joke.

4) Still fighting the P.S. gremlins. Despite adding a saginaw pump to my 3.0L with a giant resivior it struggles to keep up with the ram and continues to over heat. I'm going to try one last pump with a pressure / volume mod i found on pirate before i give PSC a call and ask WTF?

Anyways enough *****ing.... heres the pics.
















Last edited by ShoNuff82; 05-27-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 05-27-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
nice, i like the shortened bed, it looks cool.

some day i will see it in person.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 05-27-2008
ShoNuff82's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Novi, Mi
Posts: 69
Heres the rest of the pics from the competition and tooling around afterwards...

http://entertainment.webshots.com/al...OaHROi?start=0
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 05-27-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Nice pics Chris. If you lower it are you going to have problems with up travel?

Also is your steering responsive with that assist? Or delayed?

What sway bars are you looking at? I have a currie antirocks in the front that I had for a while. I want to get it reinstalled.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 05-27-2008
ShoNuff82's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Novi, Mi
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
Nice pics Chris. If you lower it are you going to have problems with up travel?

Also is your steering responsive with that assist? Or delayed?

What sway bars are you looking at? I have a currie antirocks in the front that I had for a while. I want to get it reinstalled.
I want to get it down so it looks like it does on the trailer. It has about 4 inches uptravel in the front and 5 in the rear when its tied down. I think i should be able to clear with a little work.

My steering sux... period. Its delayed and whines like a dying cow. I'm 1 more pump away from shelling out for all PSC stuff.

I want to run curries if i can afford them... or if you want to donate one for the cause, that works too!
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 05-27-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
lol I got my own projects! nothing left to donate sorry. haha

I need to do some rethinking then on the frame because my truck is sky high and I only have 5-6" of up travel.

You must have gained a ton of clearance with the tube frame and 2.5" engine lift.

As for the pump when i talked to PSC they said I needed a ton of flow to run a ram assist. I would imagine your saginaw pump does not produce that much flow or psi.

Since you have a saginaw pump on now, doesnt PSC sell an upgraded saginaw pump?
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 05-27-2008
TrePaul86's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gresham, OR
Posts: 1,369
Good lord man... That's badass!
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 05-27-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
check out this list, but you have probably already seen them. lol

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/index....ort=20a&page=2
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 05-27-2008
ShoNuff82's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Novi, Mi
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
I need to do some rethinking then on the frame because my truck is sky high and I only have 5-6" of up travel.

You must have gained a ton of clearance with the tube frame and 2.5" engine lift.

As for the pump when i talked to PSC they said I needed a ton of flow to run a ram assist. I would imagine your saginaw pump does not produce that much flow or psi.

Since you have a saginaw pump on now, doesnt PSC sell an upgraded saginaw pump?
Yea I gained quite a bit but the biggest reason for it was the frame height i lost with the body lift.

Are you running a body lift?

Ive got one more thing i want to try before paying 150 some dollars for a PSC pump. With my luck it will probably fail miserable and i will have to shell out anyways but im stubborn like that.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 05-27-2008
Rooks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Looks pretty sweet Chris. Glad to see the Ranger still running strong. God between you and Beard I look like a damn caterpillar with my project.

Ahh well... it'll get done someday.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 05-27-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoNuff82 View Post
Yea I gained quite a bit but the biggest reason for it was the frame height i lost with the body lift.

Are you running a body lift?

Ive got one more thing i want to try before paying 150 some dollars for a PSC pump. With my luck it will probably fail miserable and i will have to shell out anyways but im stubborn like that.
yes i am running a body lift, main reason for keeping it is i dont know what i want to do with my fenders and the extra clearance is nice. plus the truck is still a daily driver.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 05-27-2008
ShoNuff82's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Novi, Mi
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
yes i am running a body lift, main reason for keeping it is i dont know what i want to do with my fenders and the extra clearance is nice. plus the truck is still a daily driver.
I'd drop the body lift. That will gain you 3in of frame clearence. Even if you have to jack the suspension for now to clear until you figure out what you want to do with your fenders.

If i could go back i would have dropped the body lift to gain frame clearence.

I do have a soft spot in me for taller trucks tho. They definatly look sweet... just not very practical for what i use it for.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 05-27-2008
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
i need to hurry up and make mine 4wd >.<

i can't wait to take it to the mounds this summer.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mike's aka "Mcleary316" 2004 Build Thread Mcleary316 Project Logs 348 03-28-2016 09:28 PM
The "keep up with Mikes ranger" Mazda wheeler build thread a-little-edgey Project Logs 22 11-08-2013 06:29 PM
"Project Flatbed" build thread 01RangerEdge Project Logs 34 11-18-2012 08:39 PM
Just some updated shots of the 150. Check it out, Stock/After/After FoMoCoFiddy Snapshots 18 02-22-2010 01:16 PM
Alright it's time for another BEFORE/AFTER thread! Sonic04Edge Snapshots 112 07-23-2008 11:35 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:12 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.