New Truck. Finally - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Snapshots Share photos of vehicles in this sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 07-17-2009
freddie's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: OH
Posts: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie_boysles View Post
i dont know if its a trend everywhere, but guys around here put smoke stacks on their diesels! they just cut two gole in the very front corners of their beds, and run like 6" exhaust up through these, some look cool like this....
Usually they only have one hole cut in the bed, then it splits into 2 stacks. I'll attempt to get a picture of said setup.

However, the 7.3L's at least, do not sound near as good with stacks as they do a rear exit exhaust. I love the sound of my exhaust where its at.
Not to mention the lost bedspace when you install stacks. Idk, stacks were cool at least, and are cool on some trucks, but not all of them. At least around here, stacks are now way played out anyhow. Every guy and his brother has stacks on their diesel, and they don't even have to have anything else done. It might be an entirely stock engine with stock tune, and they have stacks. Hell, they can't even pour black smoke.

One nice thing about your SD vs my OBS (Old body style) Powerstroke, is that you can run a bigger down pipe :(
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-17-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
depends on the stack style IMO. a cummins usually always looks good with stacks and sounds good. i am mixed on the power strokes and stacks.

Nice truck! I think it needs a 05+ front end. :)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-17-2009
freddie's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: OH
Posts: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
Nice truck! I think it needs a 05+ front end. :)
I agree.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-17-2009
jt_ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Posts: 297
dude im so jealous that is a freaking sweet truck man hope it works out for you
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-17-2009
edge186's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
Nice truck! I think it needs a 05+ front end. :)
I think i'll find some newer factory head lights with the clear corners and a good set of LED tails but i don't think i'll ever do a complete 05 front end.

and i think stacks are over rated. i used to like them but now that everyone else has them i don't as much. i've got a full 4" exhaust and it sounds awesome. especially straight piped.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-17-2009
edge186's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
One nice thing about your SD vs my OBS (Old body style) Powerstroke, is that you can run a bigger down pipe :(
Yeah my dad has a 97 also and has a 3.5" down pipe and 4" from there back. but its rubbing somewhere on the firewall or underneath by the trans and we cant fix it to save our lives lol.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-17-2009
brianjwilson's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 3,650
Good god, please don't put stacks on that truck.
Every freakin diesel here has stacks (hell so do a lot of gassers) and it looks retarded to me and eats a ton of bed space. It could also be because a huge number of them have two 6-10" diameter stacks that you could damn near drop a basketball in. I've seen plenty of cummins with stacks that look horrible too, lol. There have been a very small handful of trucks with a single stack of reasonable size that I think look okay, but otherwise I don't get it.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-17-2009
99XLTOffroad's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, PA
Posts: 505
Nice truck! Get some gauges while your at it. Nice to keep and eye on everything.

Best intake is either the tymar intake or AFE Stage II. If you ever want to get rid of the cortex and have your truck custom tuned for the mods you have done to it, Call Swamps Diesel. Best tuning for 7.3Ls period. I'm looking to get a newer 6.0L Crew Cab to replace my old 7.3L or i'd get rid of my DP-Tuner and get tunes from Swamps.

You have any questions or concerns about your 7.3 feel free to PM me. I've learned a ton about 7.3Ls from my '99. Best site for Powerstroke info is Powerstrokenation.com.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-17-2009
Ranger_Guy15's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 2,827
Looks very good!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-17-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremor05 View Post
great lookin truck
7.3 FTW!!
My brothers old 04 7.3 with edge chip and mbrp exhaust would take almost anything in town.
lies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge186 View Post
thanks man i love it so far. but they didn't use the 7.3 in 04. haha they started with the 6 uh oh in the later half of 03
pwnt.

I'm pretty sure its october.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-18-2009
edge186's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99XLTOffroad View Post
Nice truck! Get some gauges while your at it. Nice to keep and eye on everything.

Best intake is either the tymar intake or AFE Stage II. If you ever want to get rid of the cortex and have your truck custom tuned for the mods you have done to it, Call Swamps Diesel. Best tuning for 7.3Ls period. I'm looking to get a newer 6.0L Crew Cab to replace my old 7.3L or i'd get rid of my DP-Tuner and get tunes from Swamps.

You have any questions or concerns about your 7.3 feel free to PM me. I've learned a ton about 7.3Ls from my '99. Best site for Powerstroke info is Powerstrokenation.com.
yeah thanks man. im already on powerstrokenation as well as the diesel garage. if i ever do an intake it will most likely be the afe stg II and as far as tuning i haven't decided yet. the truck already has boost and egt guages but i am working on getting the trans temp guage and i don't want to have one new gauge and two old ones so im just gonna replace the other two while im at it. thanks for the advice
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-18-2009
edge186's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
pwnt.

I'm pretty sure its october.
what?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-18-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge186 View Post
what?
pwned on the guy trying to say his buddy had an 04 7.3 hah.. and I think October and earlier 03s had the 7.3 then after that you et a 6.0



PLEASE don't do stacks.. they look pretty stupid on Fords. and the only real purpose on a medium duty truck is for drag racing to keep the smoke from clouding the beam on the start line.




other than that.. i, well.. pretty much HATE you, thats almost exactly what i'm gonna be looking for pretty soon, a nice low mileage 7.3

Last edited by 99ranger4x4; 07-18-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-18-2009
freddie's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: OH
Posts: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge186 View Post
Yeah my dad has a 97 also and has a 3.5" down pipe and 4" from there back. but its rubbing somewhere on the firewall or underneath by the trans and we cant fix it to save our lives lol.
Um... if he has the old body style like mine, chances are he only has a 3", because that's all I've ever heard of anyone getting on an OBS Powerstroke. Just to fit a 3" you have to do some pretty serious firewall modification. Oh, and mine rubs on the firewall too when in reverse IF the engine is torquing very much.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-18-2009
karrbass4life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 3,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
depends on the stack style IMO. a cummins usually always looks good with stacks and sounds good. i am mixed on the power strokes and stacks.

Nice truck! I think it needs a 05+ front end. :)
x2 on the Cummins with stacks and the 05 front end.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-18-2009
edge186's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
PLEASE don't do stacks.. they look pretty stupid on Fords. and the only real purpose on a medium duty truck is for drag racing to keep the smoke from clouding the beam on the start line.
im not gonna put stacks in. like i said already i have a full 4" exhaust that sounds awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
Um... if he has the old body style like mine, chances are he only has a 3", because that's all I've ever heard of anyone getting on an OBS Powerstroke. Just to fit a 3" you have to do some pretty serious firewall modification. Oh, and mine rubs on the firewall too when in reverse IF the engine is torquing very much.
maybe your right i dunno. yeah its an OBS. its a HOG exhaust is all i know. we didn't install it but i know they had to stick a port a power in there or something to do a little modification on the cab. i thought it was a 3.5" but its possibly only a 3
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-18-2009
thesoundmaster's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Centennial CO
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
Awesome man!

CCSB's for the win! Lol
LOL Screw you and your CCSB it's all about the Ext. Cab LONG BED here!!! Kidding, wish I had a CCSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
One nice thing about your SD vs my OBS (Old body style) Powerstroke, is that you can run a bigger down pipe :(
And he's intercooled from the factory with bigger injectors... Sadly, you can't win with them all... BUT yours is all setup for that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjwilson View Post
Good god, please don't put stacks on that truck.
Every freakin diesel here has stacks (hell so do a lot of gassers) and it looks retarded to me and eats a ton of bed space. It could also be because a huge number of them have two 6-10" diameter stacks that you could damn near drop a basketball in. I've seen plenty of cummins with stacks that look horrible too, lol. There have been a very small handful of trucks with a single stack of reasonable size that I think look okay, but otherwise I don't get it.

I freakin HATE stacks with a passion. Edge186, dude, 4" single is nice, but think about how nice a 5" split dual turbo back off the rear would sound... DAMMIT, now you guys are makingm e wish I woulda got a PSD over the 460.


Also, edge186, I noticed you're in Ogden UT... no more than a half days drive away from ATS Diesel in Arvada CO. They're as far as I'm concerned the way to go with diesel performance. See if you have the stock tranny, if so, start saving up for an ATS tranny, them things are bulletproof
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-19-2009
edge186's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoundmaster View Post
Also, edge186, I noticed you're in Ogden UT... no more than a half days drive away from ATS Diesel in Arvada CO. They're as far as I'm concerned the way to go with diesel performance. See if you have the stock tranny, if so, start saving up for an ATS tranny, them things are bulletproof
its a factory reman trans but its stock. im gonna pull it and have a shift kit put in and possibly a HD torque converter. that will be plenty good for anything i ever plan to do. im getting a 6.0 trans cooler sometime this week
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-19-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoundmaster View Post
DAMMIT, now you guys are makingm e wish I woulda got a PSD over the 460.
****.. psd>460 any day
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-19-2009
thesoundmaster's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Centennial CO
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
****.. psd>460 any day


Hey, my 460 can keep up with the PSD's... gotta think, PSD is 444 CI, I'm 16 more CI than them!!! And at least it's not that trashpile V10 they put in em. Hell, there's one guy around here who has a V10 that I wanna challenge him to a run up to the Eisenhour Tunnel with the same weight same trailer, my 460 vs his V10. I think my 460 would beat him
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-19-2009
Trigger01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 18,788
I'm jealous!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-19-2009
edge186's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoundmaster View Post
Hey, my 460 can keep up with the PSD's... gotta think, PSD is 444 CI, I'm 16 more CI than them!!! And at least it's not that trashpile V10 they put in em. Hell, there's one guy around here who has a V10 that I wanna challenge him to a run up to the Eisenhour Tunnel with the same weight same trailer, my 460 vs his V10. I think my 460 would beat him
yeah but just cause you have 16 more cubic inches doesn't mean a thing. the 6.0 is 366 CI and the 6.4 is 390 and a 5.9 cummins is 360 but any one of those will out pull a 460 gasser any day.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-19-2009
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downey View Post
nice truck but damn i bet its long
thats what she said
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-19-2009
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoundmaster View Post
Hey, my 460 can keep up with the PSD's... gotta think, PSD is 444 CI, I'm 16 more CI than them!!! And at least it's not that trashpile V10 they put in em. Hell, there's one guy around here who has a V10 that I wanna challenge him to a run up to the Eisenhour Tunnel with the same weight same trailer, my 460 vs his V10. I think my 460 would beat him
but yours doesn't have a turbo... that makes up for the lost 16ci


and yea, V10s are junkkkkkkkkkkk
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-19-2009
thesoundmaster's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Centennial CO
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge186 View Post
yeah but just cause you have 16 more cubic inches doesn't mean a thing. the 6.0 is 366 CI and the 6.4 is 390 and a 5.9 cummins is 360 but any one of those will out pull a 460 gasser any day.
I wouldn't be so sure on that. 460's a torque monster. Buddy of mine had both a 460 AND a 7.3L PSD, he said the 460 was actually faster to the tunnel than the PSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
but yours doesn't have a turbo... that makes up for the lost 16ci


and yea, V10s are junkkkkkkkkkkk
HEY I'm insecure about not having a turbo, low blow.

Yeah v10's are worthless
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
finally finally got one!!!! atlanta426 Member Introductions 18 11-09-2010 04:47 PM
Finally used my truck as a truck lol mlw20lu Snapshots 12 05-31-2009 09:11 PM
Finally used my truck... as a truck FULLSCALE General Ford Ranger Discussion 31 05-14-2009 05:48 PM
My new Work Truck, Finally HERE!! PlasticHero General Ford Ranger Discussion 11 05-05-2008 06:31 AM
Finally got my new truck 04BlackFX4 General Ford Ranger Discussion 26 04-22-2008 07:57 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.