valve clatter?? octane relearn? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines Discussions and Topics specific to the Lima 4 cylinder engines

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-19-2010
hozII's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: athens, Al
Posts: 2,245
valve clatter?? octane relearn?

Hey fellers....95 2.3 is got some good valve clatter under a load especially when ac is on...theres a lil connector in the top center of fire wall that looks like it has a lil cap on it...i was told that was a octane relearner conn for the computer....i was told IF you got bad valve clatter you could unplug that connector and drive it and it would relearn the computer for the octane...if it didnt then you had to run it to the stealership for an computer flash....anyone else heard/done this before?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-19-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Killafornia
Posts: 1,523
i havent ever heard of anything like that. if you want to reset the ecu just pull the negative on your battery the hit your brakes till the lights die and reconnect the battery.

bump for flux capacitor button
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-20-2010
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by hozII View Post
i was told IF you got bad valve clatter you could unplug that connector and drive it and it would relearn the computer for the octane...if it didnt then you had to run it to the stealership for an computer flash....anyone else heard/done this before?
Bogus info.

The Octane Adjust Shorting Bar is not for relearning. It can be removed to permanently retard the timing. The usual retard with the jumper removed is 3 degrees for most calibrations. If it's out, the spark gets the 3 degree retard; put it back in and it reverts back to the original spec.

BTW, manipulating the spark advance will not cure "valve clatter" which would be a mechanical problem in the valve train. Retarding the spark may reduce or eliminate detonation.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-20-2010
hozII's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: athens, Al
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
Bogus info.

The Octane Adjust Shorting Bar is not for relearning. It can be removed to permanently retard the timing. The usual retard with the jumper removed is 3 degrees for most calibrations. If it's out, the spark gets the 3 degree retard; put it back in and it reverts back to the original spec.

BTW, manipulating the spark advance will not cure "valve clatter" which would be a mechanical problem in the valve train. Retarding the spark may reduce or eliminate detonation.
LOL!! ALWAYS great info from you BOB!!! preciate the news....what do you think i could do to solve the issue or should i just live with it...truck has about 280k on it so........lol!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-20-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: okc ok
Posts: 3
if its making noise under load (pinging) it could be a build up of carbon on the pistons and head..try a can of amsoil powerfoam ,follow the directions on the can also try seafoam fuel additive to help clean the injectors and pistons.......
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-20-2010
ranger4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: cambridge, ontario
Posts: 3,922
can the valves be adjusted on your engine? sounds like you need an adjustment
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-20-2010
Redrocket's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Waynesville n.c
Posts: 1,993
280k lol time for a rebuild
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-20-2010
hozII's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: athens, Al
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne varley View Post
if its making noise under load (pinging) it could be a build up of carbon on the pistons and head..try a can of amsoil powerfoam ,follow the directions on the can also try seafoam fuel additive to help clean the injectors and pistons.......
Yeah i know ford's seafoam equlivent is supposed to be the stuff!! i had thought about doin that but i worried with it because of the mileage on it and worried it may make things worse.....ex: cause more probs...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger4.0 View Post
can the valves be adjusted on your engine? sounds like you need an adjustment
No I dont believe they are...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrocket View Post
280k lol time for a rebuild
LOL!!! well im trying to get her to 500k..the truck is in good condition and i have replaced alot of things on it...it doesnt use any oil other than the front crank seal and rear main leakin a lil but im fixin to take care of that prob too.....so just about everything will be new other than internal things on head and block.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-21-2010
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy Userů ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,773
What weight engine oil are you running.
As the engine gets older there is a tendency to run thicker oil but with a FORD it cause valve noise. Ford calls for 5-30 going to even 10-30 caused me some noise, not to mention that extended life additive.
Just thinking out loud, again !
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-21-2010
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Since it is happening under load, I think he's talking about detonation, not valve noise.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-21-2010
hozII's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: athens, Al
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler82 View Post
What weight engine oil are you running.
As the engine gets older there is a tendency to run thicker oil but with a FORD it cause valve noise. Ford calls for 5-30 going to even 10-30 caused me some noise, not to mention that extended life additive.
Just thinking out loud, again !
you know what thats a good point!! the last time i had the oil done i put 1030 in it instead of the 530 and its due for another now....i did the thicker oil just for that reason too really hot and older motor...guess i need to go back to the 530 and see what happens!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
Since it is happening under load, I think he's talking about detonation, not valve noise.
yeah bob its more of the valves clattering not really a pinging, but scrambler did make a good point too that i hadnt thought of and it didnt really start doin it, know that i think about it, till after..just hope that its that and not actually something else.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-21-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: okc ok
Posts: 3
shouldent hurt a thing ,i would try it... i use it alot cleaning intakes and carbon on my customers cars..works realy well when u get to the end of the can keep sprayin ,rev engine ,turn it of while still spaying wait 20 min restart ... change plugs if needed
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unsteady idle and clatter on hard acceleration SGL1 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 4 03-18-2014 07:02 PM
Clatter from engine with warm restart, not cold TheBishop 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 3 10-25-2012 12:32 PM
For Sale: ranger 4.0 headgasket valve cover gasket header gasket & viton valve stem seals $10+ talkforparts Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 0 07-20-2010 02:41 PM
Computer Relearn?? Widgeteye General Technical & Electrical 8 02-07-2006 06:32 AM
93 Octane mileage Rddvl23 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 7 08-09-2005 02:42 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:08 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.