bending leaf springs - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-22-2008
JRanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: benton,IL
Posts: 116
bending leaf springs

i was wondering what do you think of bending leaf springs to get raise the back in. ive heard of people doing it but just wanted to see what you guys thought about it. i like feedback thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-22-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
re arched leaf springs?

they give you a ****ty ride. get some lift springs. or a longer shackle. or do a 63" chevy spring swap
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-22-2008
Mark98xlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Parma Ohio
Posts: 13
sometimes its not good to be cheap...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-22-2008
My05edge's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 1,351
a junkyard can hook you up with some springs thatll raise the truck, dont rearch them, like said its a crappy ride and will probably compromise the strength of them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-22-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: alberta
Posts: 457
the steel used in leaf springs has a memory (as does most metal). if you get your leaf springs re-arched, it will provide some lift, but ultimatly they will sag out, and likely be worse than they are now.

an effective alternative would be an add-a-leaf, or a longer shackle. ultimatly the best option here is also the most expensive, replace the leaf springs.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-22-2008
JRanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: benton,IL
Posts: 116
if i add leafs whats my limit on how many leafs
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-22-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: alberta
Posts: 457
generally speaking, one. you can use a short AAL (add-a-leaf) or a long AAL for different effects, i don't remember 100%, but i think that the short AAL will give a stiffer ride than the long AAL. they will also combat wheel hop.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5&autoview=sku

if all you want is lift, then use a longer shackle, or use a lift/lowering block.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-22-2008
JRanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: benton,IL
Posts: 116
thanks for the feedback
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-22-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
belltech 6400 chevy 2" drop shackle = 1.5" of lift on my truck. $50 mod.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-22-2008
Hayn Time
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
re arched leaf springs?

they give you a ****ty ride. get some lift springs. or a longer shackle. or do a 63" chevy spring swap

I have re-arched springs. Ride is fine. Gave me 3" or so of lift and they flex damn well too. If you're on a budget and can't afford a new leaf pack, take em to a spring shop and have re-arched (cost me around $110 total for both rears).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-22-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upstate,NY
Posts: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRanger View Post
if i add leafs whats my limit on how many leafs
The only limit is the length of the U bolts you use.
But keep in mind more leaves are not necessarily better.
But regardless of whether you replace them with new or junk yard springs , buy new U bolts and re-torque them a couple times within 100 miles.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-22-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayn Time View Post
I have re-arched springs. Ride is fine. Gave me 3" or so of lift and they flex damn well too. If you're on a budget and can't afford a new leaf pack, take em to a spring shop and have re-arched (cost me around $110 total for both rears).
Or you could buy a add-a-leaf for 1/2 that price and the same thing.

You guys do the most redneck things in hawaii
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-22-2008
Hayn Time
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Actually, I had the springs re-arched w/ the addition of two leaves to the pack. What that did was actually strengthen the pack, provide lift and provide stability in ther rear end. Axle hop is minimized and as far as the price goes I couldn't beat it. And heck yah we're rednecks, but they call us Kanak's.

BTW, installing add-a-leaf probably wouldn't have given me as much lift of stability; plus it would have made stiffened the ride too much.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-22-2008
JRanger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: benton,IL
Posts: 116
thanks guys for the feedback if you guys have more helpful info please post thanks
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-22-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayn Time View Post
BTW, installing add-a-leaf probably wouldn't have given me as much lift of stability; plus it would have made stiffened the ride too much.
my *** end flex's out great and i have a pretty smooth ride.



if anything rearched springs are gonna give you the worse ride. i'm not talking about a little arch to get a few inches, i'm talking rearched like you see on show trucks and mud trucks, when the leaf pack looks like a U
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-22-2008
84socal's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: chino hills ,ca
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayn Time View Post
Actually, I had the springs re-arched w/ the addition of two leaves to the pack. What that did was actually strengthen the pack, provide lift and provide stability in ther rear end. Axle hop is minimized and as far as the price goes I couldn't beat it. And heck yah we're rednecks, but they call us Kanak's.

BTW, installing add-a-leaf probably wouldn't have given me as much lift of stability; plus it would have made stiffened the ride too much.
wait im confused u added two leaves nd re arched and u think im gonna by into ur bs story that ur poo flexs i call bs along with 99ranger4x4
ther is no way in holyhell that combo will ever work that way u claim if ur gonna post up info lik this ud better back it up with proof with pics andthey had better be good ones
i wannt see a pic of the leaf pack itself flexed out
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-22-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
oh nvm, you agree with me.. (i think)

Name:  BVORR811-12041.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  235.6 KB
Name:  DSC04278.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  221.8 KB
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-22-2008
84socal's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: chino hills ,ca
Posts: 370
matt u talkin to me i agree with u that the ride be ****y and not flex
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-22-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
ya at first i thought you were callin me out saying my setup didn't flex lol
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-22-2008
84socal's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: chino hills ,ca
Posts: 370
im halfway drunk ur **** flexes u need to come to socal and play at the hammers now that ur sased
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-22-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
lemme link the front first, i already see all sorts of problems with the front shackle(the topic of the thread is bent leaf springs right?). i wish i hadn't done it but we didn't have time to take the exhaust manifolds off and reroute the fuel lines, then drill the frame. :shrugs: wheel it till it breaks right?

I'll be out there at some point, i want to wheel the rubicon and head up to holister too.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-22-2008
84socal's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: chino hills ,ca
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
lemme link the front first, i already see all sorts of problems with the front shackle(the topic of the thread is bent leaf springs right?). i wish i hadn't done it but we didn't have time to take the exhaust manifolds off and reroute the fuel lines, then drill the frame. :shrugs: wheel it till it breaks right?

I'll be out there at some point, i want to wheel the rubicon and head up to holister too.
damn did i hear rubicon na thats like wheeling on one giant peice of granite
the fun factor realy isnt there unless u get a huge number of drunks with rigs where they wheel on top of each other hollister looks fun though
but seriously if u want the hardest trails and most enjoyable in the states
u really need to check out the hammers
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-23-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
no.. texas is like wheelin on one piece of granite, ever heard of Katemcy?

i'll come out, give it time. i need a tow rig and lots of money to fund the trip, and a job that'll give me like 2 weeks off.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-23-2008
84socal's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: chino hills ,ca
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
no.. texas is like wheelin on one piece of granite, ever heard of Katemcy?

i'll come out, give it time. i need a tow rig and lots of money to fund the trip, and a job that'll give me like 2 weeks off.
hey i got it just win the lotto thats my master plan
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-23-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
then you can buy me a truck and pay for diesel, i can cover food and places to stay
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Explorer leaf springs vs. Sport Trac leaf springs PUNKROCKPILOT Suspension Tech 53 03-14-2014 11:17 AM
8.8 out of a 94 exploder with leaf springs. will the springs fit my 98? Sonic04Edge Suspension Tech 9 05-27-2011 04:36 PM
Tubing Bending in MA ? Scrambler82 Fabrication & Tool Tech 5 01-02-2010 11:32 AM
bending the front bumper? jamesxEDGE Exterior Semi-Tech 9 11-25-2008 07:02 AM
Bending A/C lines on Body Lifted truck DeepBlue4x4 General Ford Ranger Discussion 14 04-21-2006 09:18 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.