Shock Questions - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-24-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Shock Questions

So I'm still digging around trying to find some shocks that will work on my application.

Put aside the lengths/travel and etc that i need.

I'm confused on trying to find the right shock. I need a shock that has eyelet to eyelet yet the bottom needs to have one of those inserts like the (stock Jeep XJ and like on the 98+ 4wd rangers)

you can see those pieces in the bottom right of this picture.



i was thinking this style shock Es3000 with the below options




or do i get another set of these for down on the axle....



or i could jsut buy one of these and insert it into the sleeve...




opinions tips etc are needed... advantages.. disadvantages...

Last edited by zabeard; 01-24-2007 at 08:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-24-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
i know the rear of '97 Explorers have that option you need on it....when i replaced my moms on her '97 Explorer the upper mounts on the Explorer had to have that little bar in there......I put on the ES3000 shocks on her Explorer, and they came with 2 of those bars....1 was a little longer than the other.....they came loose so you can put it in the bottom if you need to.....all i had to do was get new bolts for it.......you could call Summit and say the following:

"I have a '97 Explorer that i need a REAR shock with an eye to eye measurement of X number of inches sitting at ride height on its own weight"

they should be able to give you the one you need....may not be the brand you want, but all the brands (Superlift, Skyjacker, Procomp, and Rancho) are all about the same at that price (~$33 a shock)........just different stickers and stamps in the shock is all that really differ.....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
so the es3000 shocks come with those pieces? if so that pretty much sums up my issue. if it comes with them then i just need to order the 3000 series shocks they are decent price and come in many different lengths.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-24-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
yea but you need to make sure you get the ones for the Explorer......i dont know about any other application that may come with those pieces........You will need to order the ones for the rear of an Explorer for the length you need....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-24-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
i know for a fact that there are shocks for Explorers with up to a 6" lift........i would suspect that you can get them for longer lengths...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-24-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
ok so if i stick to procomp what is the difference between the 9000 and 3000.

i found the whole parts list for procomps shocks and lengths so i just need to decide which ones i need.

I like the superlift ones which are not gas charged.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-24-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
i think that the difference between the 9000 and 3000 is one is hydro and one is a nitro shock......

i like my Superlift SuperRide shocks.....they have a good ride to them.......my brother has Skyjacker Nitro shocks on his '79 F-150 and they are ok, but they are stiff....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-24-2007
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
ok so if i stick to procomp what is the difference between the 9000 and 3000.

i found the whole parts list for procomps shocks and lengths so i just need to decide which ones i need.

I like the superlift ones which are not gas charged.
I have the 9000's, I love them.

Actually right now in the front I have no swaybar, 1 rated bars, and 9000's and it rides SO nice. It's a little bumpy, but I'm talking about offroad, it's smooth as can be. On the road its a little rough over bumps and stuff, but I like it.

3000's are way way way too soft IMO. The superlift shocks are good (from riding in kevins truck) but they are really bouncy. My shocks are just stiff.


As far as the mounting, mine came with all sorts of stuff in the front (for the front ones) and the rear also. You can order rears and actually use them for the front (on solid axle) and fab up just a bolt that sticks out liek the rear)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-24-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130
I have the 9000's, I love them.

Actually right now in the front I have no swaybar, 1 rated bars, and 9000's and it rides SO nice. It's a little bumpy, but I'm talking about offroad, it's smooth as can be. On the road its a little rough over bumps and stuff, but I like it.

3000's are way way way too soft IMO. The superlift shocks are good (from riding in kevins truck) but they are really bouncy. My shocks are just stiff.


As far as the mounting, mine came with all sorts of stuff in the front (for the front ones) and the rear also. You can order rears and actually use them for the front (on solid axle) and fab up just a bolt that sticks out liek the rear)
hmm, sounds like i better get the 9000s for the front then. i wont have a sway bar either.

thanks for the input... maybe the 9000 would be a good idea in the rear as well.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-24-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Havre De Grace,Md
Posts: 3,262
i had the 9000's with my ride. very stiff in deed. i was wanting to swap out the rough country for the pro comps. very good shocks imo
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-24-2007
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
hmm, sounds like i better get the 9000s for the front then. i wont have a sway bar either.

thanks for the input... maybe the 9000 would be a good idea in the rear as well.
I love the 9000's in the rear. The rear is actually softer than the front! It is the 1 bars that make it so stiff though (and they are all the way up).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130
I love the 9000's in the rear. The rear is actually softer than the front! It is the 1 bars that make it so stiff though (and they are all the way up).

well I'm running lift Chevy springs in the back so its defiantly not a soft ride back there.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-24-2007
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
well I'm running lift Chevy springs in the back so its defiantly not a soft ride back there.
I hear that...I need that badly!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-24-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Avon, IN
Posts: 756
great post zach... got me thinkin about yet more stuff that im gonna need to buy..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-24-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North GA
Posts: 590
call PORC up they are in Bogart/Athens ga... I ordered up 4 shocks for my SAS'd ranger, got um next day... 120 MAX for all 4... They are the standard shocks sold by ProComp Skyjacker etc.. metalworx shocks, not labeled!!! Tell um your app and they can hook you up man!

THINK it is porc.com

or performanceoffroad.com
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-24-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
thanks Chris, I'll try and give them a shout this week.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-24-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big04Ranger
great post zach... got me thinkin about yet more stuff that im gonna need to buy..

dude the list is never ending. haha. but im just hoping which ever i gets is loops on both ends and had that piece to slide in it. that would be the berries!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-24-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Avon, IN
Posts: 756
on a side note.. all my yota stuff came in the mail today.. A+ condition for the $86 i spent total for EVERY thing needed
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-24-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big04Ranger
on a side note.. all my yota stuff came in the mail today.. A+ condition for the $86 i spent total for EVERY thing needed

you lucky *************** (words that get censored)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monroe Sensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorber vs Gabriel Ultra Shock for a 98' 2WD stvndew General Ford Ranger Discussion 12 03-12-2012 02:46 PM
Camburg 2.0 shock upgrade...have some questions The_Dealer Suspension Tech 4 09-19-2009 10:46 AM
Rear Shock Questions Downey Suspension Tech 5 04-19-2009 08:59 PM
Rear Shock Questions! 2ranger2 Suspension Tech 4 11-01-2007 12:16 PM
shock tabs, moving the shock mount on the axle.. zabeard Drivetrain Tech 21 12-15-2006 11:10 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.