So the time has come - Page 3 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #51  
Old 01-29-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger View Post
the leaf sprung front vehicles have leaves that have a weight rating that was designed for the front........the springs wasn't designed for the rear of something then at the last minute the engineer decided that they should also put them in the front.....


i think you people like to argue......
Just like no set of front springs were designed for the front of a ranger, It doesnt matter what springs he uses. A leaf spring is a leaf spring. He just has to find a set that works. A ranger leaf pack with a extra leaf or two in it would work really well for the front. Specially if he doenst have to spend any money on them.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-29-2008
natedog57's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 33
Back to the subject. I saw a Ranger online on one of these sites that had used the stock Ranger springs in the front. He had to extend the front out close to the end or beyond the end of the frame because they are so long. Using these longer springs also hurts your approach angle. I would (and did) use the Waggy leafs.

As far as flex, Jey's truck (Waggy leafs) flexed like a mother, if you need more than that I would suggest coilovers.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-29-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Anyone wanting me to get an F150 and gut the front end.. send me money i'll give ya my paypal
Anyone wanting me to run coils, see above
Anyone saying coil-over see both the above

all of you that say Leaves dont flex well? i'm guessing you've never seen some of the stuff i've seen in action, especially the Long Travel... up to 24"!!! of Travel my friend has upwards of 26 out of his...

when the time comes i'll probably get rid of the leaves and link it with coil overs but for nowwwww..... i dont see that happening
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger View Post
please don't put Ranger leaf springs in the front. If you must use leafs, then use leafs designed for a front axle.

Do coil springs. they ride and flex better than leafs.....
see above, send me the $$$ to do coils and i'll get right on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4offroad99 View Post
Why are you opposed to using Ranger leafs? Maybe he wants to be custom and have somethin nobody else has. If there is a will there is a way. I have personally seen the flex on a crawler that sports Ranger 3-pack leafs in the front and its amazingly effective. I am posting pics of it later today. You say that coils ride and flex better, thats merely your opinion. Maybe they do, maybe they dont. I just go by what I have personally experienced and seen with my own eyes.
someone backs me up.. how about once i get it running, spooled rear ARB front with All Pro LT Leaves all around.. post it up in action and then yall can bash the leaves all you want... even with the amount i'll get them twisted up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger View Post
actual i have fella. Been to numerous rock crawl competitions and well over 80% of them have COILovers, not leaf springs.

For instance: (this is a quick Google search)







and for the record, so what if my truck doesn't see mud......do i have to prove anything to you with MY truck nope sure dont.....i have an offroad vehicle and it isn't my Ranger.......so please keep your trap shut until you know what you are talking about.

Edit: fixed first picture.
i doubt its 80% in the higher classes.. whats the first guy running? oh yea those are things called air shocks.... the new thing i see on a TON of rock buggies
those buggies were 50k+ buggies probably closer to 100k and above... im sorry, but "your" bronco is no rock crawling beast.. im not saying my truck is either though

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger View Post
you don't have to do a 4 link to run coils.....you can swap in the EXACT suspension out of a '77-'79 F-150 (radius arms, radius arm brackets)......
see #1.. i have an old E250 at my disposal with leaves under it right now...

go ahead and send me the whole front end of an F250, steering, and suspension and i'll make it work

and if i was gonna go Coils right now i would do it RIGHT.. not use the stock radius arms.. thats a quick easyier way

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger View Post
the leaf sprung front vehicles have leaves that have a weight rating that was designed for the front........the springs wasn't designed for the rear of something then at the last minute the engineer decided that they should also put them in the front.....


i think you people like to argue......
how abouttttt i get an extra leaf or 2 to compensate for the engine eh?
i think that would work
and it seems that you like to argue. my thread blew the **** up...



can ANYONE answer my most question from back on page 1? can i get away without high steer?

preferable without blabbing on about how leafs are a waste of time and i NEED to do coils because they ride better!? I DONT DRIVE A ****IN CADDY!!!! its gonna be on SWAMPERS and STEELIES and i have OPEN EXHAUST... i gave up on comfort a LONGGGG time ago

leafs will take my beating and come back for more... with a 4 link theres that many more joints and area to go wrong on the trail..
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-29-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
go ahead and send me the whole front end of an F250, steering, and suspension and i'll make it work

and if i was gonna go Coils right now i would do it RIGHT.. not use the stock radius arms.. thats a quick easyier way
F-250 has the same suspension has an E-250......


stock F-150 radius arms are more than enough for a Ranger.....they are plenty long enough, no reason to run extended F-150 radius arms on a Ranger.....
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-29-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
I don't see a problem with doing leaves. 90 percent of the trucks that "run" around here run leaves. Think about it, 250's come stock with front leaves...is that a problem?

Be custom, do your thing, run the ranger leaves in the front!!! It will work. Torch and a welder, thats all you need
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-29-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
you can run with out highsteer depending on your lift, but you will most likely have some bumpsteer.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-29-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
hey does your axle have the steering linkage on it?

what about high steer? i can ask my connections at work if he has any thing. idk about waggy leafs but ill try
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-29-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger View Post
F-250 has the same suspension has an E-250......


stock F-150 radius arms are more than enough for a Ranger.....they are plenty long enough, no reason to run extended F-150 radius arms on a Ranger.....
you wanna bet?
are you saying there are coils and radius arms under that trucK

plenty as in? what
do extended ones allow for better travel? fif so then why would i not want them? im sorry my truck sees rocks and dirt
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-29-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0 View Post
you can run with out highsteer depending on your lift, but you will most likely have some bumpsteer.
yea i figured i would have to hang the axle and then deal with steering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
hey does your axle have the steering linkage on it?

what about high steer? i can ask my connections at work if he has any thing. idk about waggy leafs but ill try
yep, its a complete van, engine, tranny, tcase, driveshafts, axles... what i need to check on is if the D44 is a HP axle or not...

its in some grass and stuff i can go look under it and get better info tomorrow
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-29-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
get some pics. i am interested in what the rear driveshaft looks like. lol
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 01-29-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
aight.. if i dont have anything better to do tomorrow i'll go climb under it... you interesting in buying it?
if i can get the engine going, i think is a 5.0 i'll sell that, i'll be selling the t-case.. then scrapping the truck and getting my money back on it lol


if i can get it to run i want to black out the windows and spray "free candy" on the side and see how long it takes to get pulled over hehe
then probably thrown in jail for intending on raping some little girl..... maybe thats not such a good idea eh?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-29-2008
Urandaman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: wher ever uncle sam wants
Posts: 1,193
get some GIANT 64" springs all around.. that would be fun haha
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-29-2008
Urandaman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: wher ever uncle sam wants
Posts: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
aight.. if i dont have anything better to do tomorrow i'll go climb under it... you interesting in buying it?
if i can get the engine going, i think is a 5.0 i'll sell that, i'll be selling the t-case.. then scrapping the truck and getting my money back on it lol


if i can get it to run i want to black out the windows and spray "free candy" on the side and see how long it takes to get pulled over hehe
then probably thrown in jail for intending on raping some little girl..... maybe thats not such a good idea eh?
i want candy
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-29-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
aight.. if i dont have anything better to do tomorrow i'll go climb under it... you interesting in buying it?
if i can get the engine going, i think is a 5.0 i'll sell that, i'll be selling the t-case.. then scrapping the truck and getting my money back on it lol


if i can get it to run i want to black out the windows and spray "free candy" on the side and see how long it takes to get pulled over hehe
then probably thrown in jail for intending on raping some little girl..... maybe thats not such a good idea eh?
lol no not a good idea at all! lol

no i am interested to see if a driveshaft like that will work for my truck with the D60.

I want to get a shaft made like the front one, nice, small, and solid.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-29-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198

there are probably 40 pages on pirate of posters like that... 90% of them would get me banned for posting lol

my front's gonna be 1/4" or thicker walled square tubing tubing

the rear for now will just be the stock DS with a different u joint haha
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-29-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
you wanna bet?
are you saying there are coils and radius arms under that trucK

plenty as in? what
do extended ones allow for better travel? fif so then why would i not want them? im sorry my truck sees rocks and dirt
F250 is leaf suspension, same as the van.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-29-2008
k.blakeley's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Texas
Posts: 2,823
[QUOTE]there are probably 40 pages on pirate of posters like that... 90% of them would get me banned for posting lol/QUOTE]

Pull the link for me
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-29-2008
exploder01's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Valois, N.Y.
Posts: 143
Get a set of stock 7 leaf pack leaves from a waggy then spring over the front axle. Ive personally seen this done on a explorer and the guy was runnin 37s with no problem. Im in process of doing this now as I exploded both CV shafts the other day. I got a HP 44 from a waggy and Im gonna be runnin leaves. Its alot simpler to set up than coils and I drive offroad so I could care less what it rides like on the road. Function before form. I was told on another forum that not running a high steer up front will create clearance issues with the diff. Not 100% sure myself. Save ya alot of money if you didnt have to. Good Luck with the swap.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-29-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0 View Post
F250 is leaf suspension, same as the van.
and you're the winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploder01 View Post
Get a set of stock 7 leaf pack leaves from a waggy then spring over the front axle. Ive personally seen this done on a explorer and the guy was runnin 37s with no problem. Im in process of doing this now as I exploded both CV shafts the other day. I got a HP 44 from a waggy and Im gonna be runnin leaves. Its alot simpler to set up than coils and I drive offroad so I could care less what it rides like on the road. Function before form. I was told on another forum that not running a high steer up front will create clearance issues with the diff. Not 100% sure myself. Save ya alot of money if you didnt have to. Good Luck with the swap.
exactly

Last edited by ScottG; 01-29-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-29-2008
Legion's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 288
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-29-2008
natedog57's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 33
You can get away w/o doing HiSteer, but most people (who have had both Hi/Low) say it is worth the $ do do it right the first time. If you don't do Hi Steer you will probably need to bend the drag link on a SOA setup.

"I was told on another forum that not running a high steer up front will create clearance issues with the diff"
What clearance issues are you talking about?

"I got a HP 44 from a waggy" - ?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-29-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog57 View Post
You can get away w/o doing HiSteer, but most people (who have had both Hi/Low) say it is worth the $ do do it right the first time. If you don't do Hi Steer you will probably need to bend the drag link on a SOA setup.

"I was told on another forum that not running a high steer up front will create clearance issues with the diff"
What clearance issues are you talking about?

"I got a HP 44 from a waggy" - ?
Sometimes you have problems getting the draglink to fit with leafs

And Im with Nate there is no HP 44 from a waggy, only LP.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-29-2008
exploder01's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Valois, N.Y.
Posts: 143
Theres a guy over on the explorer forums that did a SAS on a 01sport like mine. He told me that he had trouble with the steering linkage hitting the diff housing under flex. And as far as the axle goes I bought it off a friend of mine in PA. I know for certain that its a 44. It very well could be LP it hasnt arrived yet. Im just going by what he told me. Either way its goin on. After what happened to me the other day I dont trust this IFS crap anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-29-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
i've broke 5? 6? idk i've lost count.. thats why im doing this as soon as i can.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-29-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
ok
its not happening for under a grand haha
i wishhh

i was looking around all pro at the shackles and hangers and ****.. thats over 500 alone if im adding it all up right and getting the right amounts.. probably not i'll have my friend look over it since he's had to order all of it

and since its gonna be costing more than i would like... then i'm going to go ahead and use the LT leaves from the get go.

Last edited by 99ranger4x4; 01-30-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The time has come for a new system RangerMuse Audio & Video Tech 43 09-17-2008 09:41 AM
The time has come for a new system RangerMuse Audio & Video Tech 4 09-10-2008 05:33 PM
The Time Has Finally Come! SteveOh Snapshots 64 08-01-2008 05:22 PM
so the time has come ... in a couple months that is lol Rangerboy03lvl2 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 39 11-08-2007 10:44 PM
...The Time Has Come Sonic_03 General Ford Ranger Discussion 38 03-14-2007 09:37 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:30 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.