Bigger tires on 2wd pointless? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech General discussion of wheels and tires for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-15-2013
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Harrison
Posts: 21
Bigger tires on 2wd pointless?

I've got a 2002 Xlt 2wd.. I like the aggressive looks that most 4wd trucks have, like larger tires, and I was wondering if it there would be any point to putting bigger more rugged tires on a 2wd. I'm thinking leveling it out and getting 31's. somewhere down the road I plan on getting a rear locker but would I be a 'poser' of sorts by doing this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-15-2013
FULLSCALE's Avatar
Level III Supporter

iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Clinton, Ontario
Posts: 8,181
There are all kinds of people lifting 2wd trucks and adding larger tires. I don't see any reason not to!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2013
yeatzee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfboss72 View Post
I've got a 2002 Xlt 2wd.. I like the aggressive looks that most 4wd trucks have, like larger tires, and I was wondering if it there would be any point to putting bigger more rugged tires on a 2wd. I'm thinking leveling it out and getting 31's. somewhere down the road I plan on getting a rear locker but would I be a 'poser' of sorts by doing this?
Putting bigger offroad tires on your 2wd ranger does not make you a poser, not using them does.


^ you'd be hard pressed to find someone that would call my above ranger a poser truck, and it is a lowly 2wd.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-15-2013
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Harrison
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeatzee View Post
Putting bigger offroad tires on your 2wd ranger does not make you a poser, not using them does.

Ranger - A Day In The Life - YouTube

^ you'd be hard pressed to find someone that would call my above ranger a poser truck, and it is a lowly 2wd.
Sick video. Sick truck. I would most likely get all terrain because I mostly drive on the asphalt as my daily driver. The only thing holding me back from more offloading is the small stock tires. What would you say for a something like that? 31's? 30's not too large I wouldn't say since its a daily driver.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-2013
06RangerXLT's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halton Hills, Ont
Posts: 1,685
32's make a fine DD tire. i daily drive 33's no problem.

its more about driver ability then 2wd. my 2wd makes people think its a 4x4 with the places it goes.

the only times ive been stuck, were when the rear wheels arent touching the ground.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-16-2013
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Harrison
Posts: 21
How much should it cost to get some 31's a level and such
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2013
Mcleary316's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 2,322
My 2wd had 8 inches of lift and 35s lol
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-16-2013
06RangerXLT's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halton Hills, Ont
Posts: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfboss72 View Post
How much should it cost to get some 31's a level and such
31's are around 800 new, leveling if you have torsion bars is as simple as a slight crank of a bolt.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-18-2013
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Harrison
Posts: 21
No torsion bars, xlt model
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-18-2013
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
LOL at all the 2wd guys defending you.

As a 4wd guy, I don't really care what ya do. You're not a poser because you like the look of a lifted truck. My truck may be 4WD but I lifted it because I liked the look, the added off-road ability was just a bonus.

But in the past, on this forum, some 2WD guys have claimed they are equal/better than 4WD guys. That's always funny. Having a sick looking lifted 2WD is one thing, getting cocky about it is not.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-18-2013
Mcleary316's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger View Post
LOL at all the 2wd guys defending you.

As a 4wd guy, I don't really care what ya do. You're not a poser because you like the look of a lifted truck. My truck may be 4WD but I lifted it because I liked the look, the added off-road ability was just a bonus.

But in the past, on this forum, some 2WD guys have claimed they are equal/better than 4WD guys. That's always funny. Having a sick looking lifted 2WD is one thing, getting cocky about it is not.
Well at a point you might have a 2wd that could outperform a 4wd but for the most part 4wd>2wd for most all scenarios. Also it's easier to lift a 2wd way up so if you're just going for looks, go 2wd.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-18-2013
DangerRanger96's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Thomasville, NC
Posts: 611
i did mine mianly for looks but as soon as it gets warmer im going to take it trail riding. 3 inch lift and 32s

Attached Thumbnails
Bigger tires on 2wd pointless?-img_2413.png   Bigger tires on 2wd pointless?-img_2662.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-20-2013
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Harrison
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerRanger96 View Post
i did mine mianly for looks but as soon as it gets warmer im going to take it trail riding. 3 inch lift and 32s

What kind of lift?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-20-2013
06RangerXLT's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halton Hills, Ont
Posts: 1,685
yea was gonna say a built 2wd locked will go further then most 4x4's
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-20-2013
redranger04g's Avatar
Member

iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Placentia, CA
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RangerXLT View Post
32's make a fine DD tire. i daily drive 33's no problem.

its more about driver ability then 2wd. my 2wd makes people think its a 4x4 with the places it goes.

the only times ive been stuck, were when the rear wheels arent touching the ground.
I doubt anyone thinks a 2wd can make it where a 4x4 can. No matter how much you talk it up.

I have 32s on my 2wd and 32s are great for a better looking DD. if you are an xlt then 31s are the biggest you should go stock
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-21-2013
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RangerXLT View Post
yea was gonna say a built 2wd locked will go further then most 4x4's
No, it won't lol. But you wouldn't know, since you're 2wd. Let's see you climb over a 6 inch curb in a wet parking lot, in your locked 2wd.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-21-2013
yeatzee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger View Post
No, it won't lol. But you wouldn't know, since you're 2wd. Let's see you climb over a 6 inch curb in a wet parking lot, in your locked 2wd.
you both have already had this same exact argument on here in the past. Lets not destroy this thread with it again..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-21-2013
2004xlmiller's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sac, CA
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger View Post
LOL at all the 2wd guys defending you.

As a 4wd guy, I don't really care what ya do. You're not a poser because you like the look of a lifted truck. My truck may be 4WD but I lifted it because I liked the look, the added off-road ability was just a bonus.

But in the past, on this forum, some 2WD guys have claimed they are equal/better than 4WD guys. That's always funny. Having a sick looking lifted 2WD is one thing, getting cocky about it is not.
your 4x4 get air?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RangerXLT View Post
yea was gonna say a built 2wd locked will go further then most 4x4's
this.. ive seen 2wd locked mob on 4x4 open open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger View Post
No, it won't lol. But you wouldn't know, since you're 2wd. Let's see you climb over a 6 inch curb in a wet parking lot, in your locked 2wd.
lets do it when and where brah haha. gearing and lockers/ls is everything in a 2wd, and because we wheel 2wds on a weekly basis, we know how to drive better and use what we got.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-21-2013
06RangerXLT's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halton Hills, Ont
Posts: 1,685
ill see your wet parking lot 6" curb and raise you a mudhole deep enough to dip my bumper on a lifted truck on 33's with nothing more then limited slip. Once my locker shows up and is installed, ill be sure to show you how i can drive with a rear wheel in the air.




now get off the 2wd guys back, Id bet we wheel more then you do with your fancy chrome rims on a 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-21-2013
yeatzee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 429
video doesn't work nate.

And as for my 2 cents, living here in SoCal 4wd is pretty pointless as I've never been stuck and I do a lot of offroading/exploring around here. Where you live im sure it's different... no need to hate on eachother because of that though.

As for 2wd vs 4wd. Again out here 2wd > 4wd because travel is more important than the front tires spinning. It is much cheaper/easier to get good numbers out of a 2wd xlt than it is a 4wd truck. In a swamp or mud or whatever you have, sure 4wd is obviously better.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-21-2013
Mcleary316's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 2,322
I mean my 2wd has been getting through 8 inches of unplowed snow all day just fine. But yeah a 4wd would prolly be even better. 2 & 4 wd are good for different things.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-21-2013
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RangerXLT View Post
ill see your wet parking lot 6" curb and raise you a mudhole deep enough to dip my bumper on a lifted truck on 33's with nothing more then limited slip. Once my locker shows up and is installed, ill be sure to show you how i can drive with a rear wheel in the air.
now get off the 2wd guys back, Id bet we wheel more then you do with your fancy chrome rims on a 4x4

You guys are SO cute. I wish that somehow Oprah could just drop in this thread and give you all 4WD so you'd chill out on the "OMG 2WD is SO much better than 4WD" syndrome.

Here's some real mud. Every part of the truck covered, not just your rear panels
Attached Thumbnails
Bigger tires on 2wd pointless?-th_506523a4.jpg   Bigger tires on 2wd pointless?-06-02-07_1653.jpg  

Last edited by Red_Ak_Ranger; 02-21-2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: mispelled
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-21-2013
yeatzee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger View Post
You guys are SO cute. I wish that somehow Oprah could just drop in this thread and give you all 4WD so you'd chill out on the "OMG 2WD is SO much better than 4WD" syndrome.

Here's some real mud. Every part of the truck covered, not just your rear panels
I love how you are blowing everything out of proportion. Your picture proves nothing (neither do), I could get the same results going back and forth in a mud hole just like anyone else. My point is that 2wd xlt = more potential travel for far less $ = better than 4wd for the terrain here.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-22-2013
Mcleary316's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 2,322
I have a better point... FORD RANGERS ARE COOOOOL.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-22-2013
06RangerXLT's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halton Hills, Ont
Posts: 1,685
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pointless, but intresting! TrucksGetDirty Snapshots 340 07-18-2008 06:00 PM
Need bigger tires but what tires? resqdude General Ford Ranger Discussion 48 06-07-2006 12:53 AM
Another Pointless thread about my truck Skyjacker_44 General Ford Ranger Discussion 12 12-27-2005 11:28 AM
Bigger tires No LIFT HighRollerII Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 86 07-04-2005 05:48 PM
is this pointless 87RangerBoy Suspension Tech 29 06-01-2005 04:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:31 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.