Suggestions on 33's - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech General discussion of wheels and tires for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-23-2006
bmwysocki's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 61
Suggestions on 33's

I got my body lift done and I am still running stock tires. Doesn't look too horrible but I would like to be running 33s here in the near future. The question I have is, can I go with a 285/75-16 on my stock rims? Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe my stock 16" rims are 7" wide? and BFG recommends a minimum of 7.5" rim width for the 285s. I would like your opinions if its still ok to run or if I need new rims. I don't want to buy new rims unless I absolutely have to. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-23-2006
telemaster1952's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dover, Deleware
Posts: 3,481
they should be fine on there
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-23-2006
ranger024x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nova
Posts: 5,061
you can run them (as many members have) but you will notice over time that it will tend to wear down the center more.. even though the air pressure is correct
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-24-2006
rolla_guy72's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 3,256
It's like running a 12.50 on an 8" rim, it will work, and you probably could've fit those stock, EDGEs can.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-24-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
it will be fine but honistly man get new rims IE 15x8 or 15x10 16's arnt worth it. for the price you spend on a decent set of 285 you can buy 15x8 and 33x12x15
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2006
bmwysocki's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 61
I am definately going with BFG AT KOs and I've been looking at rims. I really like the look of M/T classic IIs, but what issues will I run into with the 12.5" Tire? Do you know of any rubbing? I think the only backspacing I can get is a 3.625 on the Classic IIs. Ive been looking on summit and I can get four 33x12.5 R15s and 4 black cragar wheels for almost the same as just four 285/75 R16's But Im not sure Im all about the black rims. Does anyone have any better place to be looking online for rim & tire deals? Thanks for all your help guys.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwysocki
I am definately going with BFG AT KOs and I've been looking at rims. I really like the look of M/T classic IIs, but what issues will I run into with the 12.5" Tire? Do you know of any rubbing? I think the only backspacing I can get is a 3.625 on the Classic IIs. Ive been looking on summit and I can get four 33x12.5 R15s and 4 black cragar wheels for almost the same as just four 285/75 R16's But Im not sure Im all about the black rims. Does anyone have any better place to be looking online for rim & tire deals? Thanks for all your help guys.
no problems with that tire size thats what all us guys up here in mich/indy recommed when we install body lifts we have done over 9+

do you want 15x8 or 15x10? personally i 100000% recommed 15x10 it looks so much better on BFG's let me show you



here is Erv's truck 15x8 33x12.5x15 BFG. dont get me wrong his truck is very nice





here is Billz 33x12.5x15 BFG's 15x10, (Zach Beards is on the right when he was 33x12.5x15 with 15x10)




so much wider stances and it also flatens the tire out on a 15x8 on a BFG tire there is like 1/4 or more on the edge of the tire that doesnt contact the ground.

those wheels are $420 from summit. mickey tompson classic II
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-24-2006
bmwysocki's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 61
Thanks for all the info. I have some thinking to do I guess. I do love the look of the wider stance and the 10" rims. Its interesting that on Erv's truck the tires don't stick out so far beyond the fender. Is this because of the 8" rims since everyone above is running 12.50s?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-24-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwysocki
Thanks for all the info. I have some thinking to do I guess. I do love the look of the wider stance and the 10" rims. Its interesting that on Erv's truck the tires don't stick out so far beyond the fender. Is this because of the 8" rims since everyone above is running 12.50s?
if you read my WHOLE COMMENT you will notice i listed what everyone is running. its because of the 15x8 wheels Erv's truck the tires are flush with the flares. Billz they stick out around 1"+ which will not be a problem with Mr. Cop they probly wont even notice. Beards truck sticks way out because he doesnt have flares. i love the look tho makes it look like a mini monster truck.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-24-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Zach is 100% right.

I have 4 33/12.5R15 BFG AT KO's that are a handfull of months old, only an oil change and a half on em, also with cragar 15x8's...

They are for sale right now, you are welcome to make me an offer through PM if you want.

I know you were looking for that setup.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-26-2006
bmwysocki's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 61
Thanks, but as good as the 12.50 wide looks, I don't have flares on my truck nor do I plan to have them and I am concerned with the tire sticking too far outside the fender like Zach's does. I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a set of 33x10.50 BFG ATs and get a set of 15" MT classic 2 rims but I think I will wait until spring to do that. That way I can run the stockers all winter. Its either those wheels or a set of Pro Comp. wheels, Ill decide that over the winter. Tirepackage.com seems to have a good deal on the BFG and Classic 2 setup. $931 mounted, balanced, and shipped.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-26-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwysocki
Thanks, but as good as the 12.50 wide looks, I don't have flares on my truck nor do I plan to have them and I am concerned with the tire sticking too far outside the fender like Zach's does. I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a set of 33x10.50 BFG ATs and get a set of 15" MT classic 2 rims but I think I will wait until spring to do that. That way I can run the stockers all winter. Its either those wheels or a set of Pro Comp. wheels, Ill decide that over the winter. Tirepackage.com seems to have a good deal on the BFG and Classic 2 setup. $931 mounted, balanced, and shipped.
Just as an FYI, my tires dont' stick out past the flares in the rear. In the front, they are about .5" out of the flare. So without fender flares you will be about 1" out.

Also, the classic 2's are going to PUSH your wheels out of the wheel wells. If you are really concerned with the tires sticking out, keep your stock rims and put the 33/10.5's on there. Or pick up some alcolas if you dont already have em.

Also, my B/S is 4", stock is 4.5", and the MT is 3.625 IIRC. All those alloy wheels are going to stick out pretty far.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-26-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
almost all 15x8s will not make the tire stick out much if any at all and that is with 12.5" tires.

MT backspacing is almost perfect for the ranger on the 15x8 and the 15x10 IMO. In fact the backspacing they use is like most all alloy wheels with the hole design.

Ricky the reason yours stick out in the front is because of the spindle lift.

Personally if you are going to run 33x10.5x15 you might as well keep the stock wheels and add 285s. 285s will mount just fine on the wheel, wear is ok just not the best.

15x8 and a 33x12.5x15 is a perfect combo on a body lifted ranger.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-26-2006
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
I prefer the look of a 8" wide wheel with 33x12.5" tires.

When it comes to 35s, I think the 10" wide wheel looks better, but that's my personal preference.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-26-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead61
I prefer the look of a 8" wide wheel with 33x12.5" tires.

When it comes to 35s, I think the 10" wide wheel looks better, but that's my personal preference.



i bought my 15x10s in the beginning with intentions to run 35s later.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-27-2006
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard


i bought my 15x10s in the beginning with intentions to run 35s later.
*old jewish lady voice* well isn't that special?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-27-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
almost all 15x8s will not make the tire stick out much if any at all and that is with 12.5" tires.

Ricky the reason yours stick out in the front is because of the spindle lift.

Personally if you are going to run 33x10.5x15 you might as well keep the stock wheels and add 285s. 285s will mount just fine on the wheel, wear is ok just not the best.
Yes sir-e-bob, mine stick out in the front b/c of the spindles. If I had a bl, they woudl actually be even with the flares.

I think if he's worried about sticking out, and he doesn't have flares, then it's good to keep the stock wheels, like you said. 285/75/16
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-27-2006
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
i like my 15x10's on my 12.5 BFG's a heck of a lot better than i liked my 15x8's on 12.5 BFG's.....if you plan on running BFG's(which i would recommend them if you are doing mostly road driving) get the 15x10's..........now a few people on this forum will tell you 15x8's and tell you 15x10's are dumb on a 12.5 tire, but wider is better....besides look on BFG's website and they will tell you that the 12.5 tire is recommended to run on a 8.5"-11" wide wheel......they say 8.5" because of the extra tire that would never contact the ground on the 8" wheel.....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-27-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
i like my 15x10's on my 12.5 BFG's a heck of a lot better than i liked my 15x8's on 12.5 BFG's.....if you plan on running BFG's(which i would recommend them if you are doing mostly road driving) get the 15x10's..........now a few people on this forum will tell you 15x8's and tell you 15x10's are dumb on a 12.5 tire, but wider is better....besides look on BFG's website and they will tell you that the 12.5 tire is recommended to run on a 8.5"-11" wide wheel......they say 8.5" because of the extra tire that would never contact the ground on the 8" wheel.....
x2, I hate my 8" wides...I am at ~25psi and I have about a half inch on either side not touching. At 18psi it's still about 1/4"
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-27-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead61
*old jewish lady voice* well isn't that special?

lol

come on i was expecting you to have the RCD by now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestions for a basic, but good sound system. pacodiablo Audio & Video Tech 6 10-02-2004 10:22 PM
Any suggestions? v698ranger General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 09-23-2004 06:15 PM
Aftermarket Keyless Entry (Suggestions) ZetaOmegaRanger General Technical & Electrical 2 08-08-2004 01:30 AM
Tool Box Suggestions hangman General Ford Ranger Discussion 11 08-02-2004 02:49 AM
trans cooler suggestions? blacknight Drivetrain Tech 19 07-05-2004 10:14 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.