Tire/Wheel options - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech General discussion of wheels and tires for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-04-2014
71 gto's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 14
Tire/Wheel options

I am in need of some new tires (was figuring I'd last the winter, but with these snow storms constantly I am throwing in the towel), and have several options I am looking at.

First off, the truck is a 99 extended cab XLT 4x4 offroad. Pretty sure it doesn't make a difference, but it is a 5 speed. The truck has the stock 16's on it with a 245/75 tire.

Basically I am looking at a few options. I will either replace just the tires or get a set of wheels with them. If I just get tires from what I understand on the stock suspension I can go as large as a 265/70/16 without cranking the t-bar, if someone could let me know if my research is correct I would appreciate it.

My other thought is dropping down to 15's. It seems like if I get a 15 with somewhere between 3.5-4" of backspacing and a -20 to 0 offset I would be able to run a 31/10.5/15 tire as the largest tire with stock suspension and no t-bar cranking. Again this is based on some research and I am just looking for confirmation that this is true.

If there are more ideal backspacings or offsets for the 15's I'd like to know. I am not looking for a ton of tire sticking out of the fenders (but also not opposed to it), just a good fitment that allows me to run a bigger tire. If you'd also like to show off some of your stock suspension bigger tire pictures with different backspacing/offsets I certainly wouldn't mind.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-04-2014
71 gto's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 14
Since I am getting no responses, maybe I will simplify it a bit.

Here is one option I am considering:

15x8 with -19 offset with 3.7" backspacing with duratrac 31x10.5 tires

Any opinions on this? I am confident with my research on everything but backspacing and offsets.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-04-2014
Bitzy's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bismarck
Posts: 166
You can run up to a 32" tire with no tbar cranking. (265/75/16)

I would suggest cranking your tbars however. 32s and a leveled ranger looks great IMO. Also duratracs seem to be a great tire and you should love them!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2014
71 gto's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitzy View Post
You can run up to a 32" tire with no tbar cranking. (265/75/16)

I would suggest cranking your tbars however. 32s and a leveled ranger looks great IMO. Also duratracs seem to be a great tire and you should love them!
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the info. Do you have any opinions on offset? I have found some wheels with an offset in the -44 range that I like, but am afraid of not clearing brakes, etc. after more research back spacing in am now confident with
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-04-2014
Bitzy's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bismarck
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 gto View Post
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the info. Do you have any opinions on offset? I have found some wheels with an offset in the -44 range that I like, but am afraid of not clearing brakes, etc. after more research back spacing in am now confident with
I'm not really sure about offset. -44 does seem like it will be too close to the frame and such. Don't quote me on that though. Also if you like the rims that much, spacers are always an option too.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2014
71 gto's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 14
True, would rather take a wheel that I like a little less just to stay away from a spacer though. The wheels are on a jeep site so I am guessing that's why the offset is so different. Doesn't seem to be anyone on here that runs an offset like that
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-04-2014
Bitzy's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bismarck
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 gto View Post
True, would rather take a wheel that I like a little less just to stay away from a spacer though. The wheels are on a jeep site so I am guessing that's why the offset is so different. Doesn't seem to be anyone on here that runs an offset like that
I see what you mean and I think that's a smarter choice.

I just have heard too many horror stories about spacers.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-05-2014
71 gto's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 14
So I ended up just going with a safe bet so I know I wont need spacers. I ordered the summit racing 84 D series in black.

Was looking to get tires mounted, but I will just price match tires to a local discount tire and then I can be lazy and let them rotate my tires instead of doing it myself. I will be getting duratrac 31x10.5x15. Looking forward to better traction and a better looking ride.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-06-2014
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy Userů ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,763
Stick to 15" rims and tires.

Better ride with lower load rating on 15" tires.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-06-2014
71 gto's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler82 View Post
Stick to 15" rims and tires.

Better ride with lower load rating on 15" tires.
I have stock 16's on it right now. Once I began looking into tires I knew 15's was the way to go. Heck buying the summit wheels and the tires was only $50 more expensive than just buying the same size tires in 16s INCLUDING SHIPPING! Anyone who sticks with the 16s is crazy unless they are buying junk tires.

Wheels are supposed to get here tomorrow already, so hopefully on Saturday before all the snow hits I can get the tires mounted and go test them out.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-06-2014
Bitzy's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bismarck
Posts: 166
I expect pics to come!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-07-2014
71 gto's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitzy View Post
I expect pics to come!
Hopefully get them today and be on tomorrow for the snow. Will get pics up. ASAP
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-07-2014
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitzy View Post
I'm not really sure about offset. -44 does seem like it will be too close to the frame and such. Don't quote me on that though. Also if you like the rims that much, spacers are always an option too.
I just wanted to throw my $.02 and clarify something here...

A negative offset will push the wheels out further, not in further. A -44 offset, depending on the width, has more of a chance of rubbing on the fender than anything if you're not cranking your bars.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-07-2014
Bitzy's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bismarck
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME00Stepside View Post
I just wanted to throw my $.02 and clarify something here... A negative offset will push the wheels out further, not in further. A -44 offset, depending on the width, has more of a chance of rubbing on the fender than anything if you're not cranking your bars.
Ahhh. I see. I had it mixed around. Thanks for the clarification.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-07-2014
71 gto's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME00Stepside View Post
I just wanted to throw my $.02 and clarify something here...

A negative offset will push the wheels out further, not in further. A -44 offset, depending on the width, has more of a chance of rubbing on the fender than anything if you're not cranking your bars.
Now that you bring it up i can't believe I didn't think about that. I was thinking the wheels on my GTO were a -43 offset because there is very little room on the outside, but they are a +43. So those wheels I was looking at with a -44 and and 4" back spacing probably would have been fine. Ah well, went with the safe bet and they were under $200 shipped so can't beat that.

Thank you for helping set me straight on the offset
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-07-2014
Bitzy's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bismarck
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 gto View Post
Now that you bring it up i can't believe I didn't think about that. I was thinking the wheels on my GTO were a -43 offset because there is very little room on the outside, but they are a +43. So those wheels I was looking at with a -44 and and 4" back spacing probably would have been fine. Ah well, went with the safe bet and they were under $200 shipped so can't beat that. Thank you for helping set me straight on the offset
I don't think they still would have worked. You could have had clearance issues from the tires sticking too far out.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-08-2014
71 gto's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitzy View Post
I don't think they still would have worked. You could have had clearance issues from the tires sticking too far out.
But with the extra .5" of back spacing I think it'd be close.

Anyway, just got them mounted up. It is also currently snowing. Traction is 100x better. Slight rub on full left turn (suspension in front is show so not a big deal)

Before
Attached Thumbnails
Tire/Wheel options-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-08-2014
71 gto's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 14
After (won't let me load two pictures for some reason)
Attached Thumbnails
Tire/Wheel options-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-08-2014
Bitzy's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bismarck
Posts: 166
Looks great!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-19-2014
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Idamay, WV
Posts: 5
Did you crank the T bars? I ask because I am going with 31x10.5x15 myself and I like how it sets now but I am gonna crank my T bars.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire options/opinions element4all General Ford Ranger Discussion 19 11-26-2012 12:24 PM
Good wheel options on a grey ranger? andddrew says Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 17 07-09-2012 07:16 PM
steering wheel upgrade options ringer4x4 Interior Semi-Tech 12 10-28-2009 12:03 PM
14" Rim tire options 04BlackFX4 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 23 04-16-2008 12:37 AM
Wheel options 16's rhite95 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 11 10-11-2005 11:14 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:27 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.