Spare tire access - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


1" & 3" Body Lifts General discussion of body lifts for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-30-2015
Diesel_Brad's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 211
Spare tire access

Has anyone corrected the spare tire crank access after lifting the rear bumper?

I am just encountering this is a problem trying to reinstall my spare
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-30-2015
Dewey's Avatar
@THE_ALMIGHTY_E4_RANGER
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arcadia, Fl
Posts: 2,054
In the body lift instructions, they tell you that the only way to access the spare lifter is to remove the license plate.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-30-2015
Diesel_Brad's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
In the body lift instructions, they tell you that the only way to access the spare lifter is to remove the license plate.
Thanks, I must have missed that. Not quite sure how that is going to help me without drilling a hole
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-30-2015
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
Use a 80's GM plate mount that flips up or down. Bam! Instant access
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-31-2015
Diesel_Brad's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
Use a 80's GM plate mount that flips up or down. Bam! Instant access
That will not work due to how the step of the bumper blocks the lower portion on the plate and will not allow it to fold down far enough
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-31-2015
Dewey's Avatar
@THE_ALMIGHTY_E4_RANGER
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arcadia, Fl
Posts: 2,054
Put the spare in the bed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-31-2015
IN2 FX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
That will not work due to how the step of the bumper blocks the lower portion on the plate and will not allow it to fold down far enough
Mount the flip down mount frame upside down so it will flip up. That should clear everything. You could use a spacer to sit on the step to hold the plate up while you access the spare tire.

Ford also had flip down plate mounts in the 70s and maybe some in the 80s. I know my 69 Fairlane Cobra has a flip down plate.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-01-2016
Diesel_Brad's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Put the spare in the bed.

That will not work, since I use my truck as one and need the bed space


Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2 FX4 View Post
Mount the flip down mount frame upside down so it will flip up. That should clear everything. You could use a spacer to sit on the step to hold the plate up while you access the spare tire.

Ford also had flip down plate mounts in the 70s and maybe some in the 80s. I know my 69 Fairlane Cobra has a flip down plate.
Nope, still will not work with the design of the OE bumper and the size of the plate. I'll just carry a screw driver
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-01-2016
Dewey's Avatar
@THE_ALMIGHTY_E4_RANGER
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arcadia, Fl
Posts: 2,054
Then drill a nice big hole in the center of the plate. It seems that is you're only option here since it can't go in the bed
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-01-2016
Diesel_Brad's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Then drill a nice big hole in the center of the plate. It seems that is you're only option here since it can't go in the bed
That what I did. Took the plate off and drilled a 1" hole 3" down from the original one in the bed
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
03 3.0 spare fuel tank above spare tire bigred08046 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 8 06-21-2017 11:03 AM
Checking Interest: Spare tire and OEM spare tire carrier - MO 01RangerEdge Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 1 01-12-2013 07:21 PM
Want to Buy: Spare Tire/Spare Tire Tools Wa/Or bdiddy Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 0 08-30-2010 12:09 PM
Can I fit a 10.5" wide tire on spare tire rim? winks Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 5 10-25-2008 02:45 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:07 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.