Changing the Spark Plug... or trying to. - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-05-2013
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern, Wisconsin
Posts: 35
Changing the Spark Plug... or trying to.

I'm playing with a 1998 Ford Ranger, 4WD, super cab, with a 4.0L V6.

Since I couldn't get a visual on the spark plugs from either the top or underneath, I had to look for answers. According to the things I've read, you can get right at the spark plugs if you remove the front fender liners.

That information checked out. It even seemed like a good idea... until I was painfully, reminded that the designers do not have to work on the vehicles... especially ones that have seen road salt. Yes, I know that a certified garage would love to charge me an arm, leg, and my firstborn child. Since I do not have children, I would be able to afford it, anyway. LOL!

and I thought having to unbolt an A/C compressor to change spark plugs was bad.

now that I got that out my system, here's where I'm at.

The bolts that are holding the fender liners on are rusted to the point that their structural integrity is questionable, and it looks like someone has tried to play with these before I had the truck because most of them have already been rounded off.

Is there a better way to do this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-05-2013
Bob C. of Indiana's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Central ,Indiana
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Torture View Post
I'm playing with a 1998 Ford Ranger, 4WD, super cab, with a 4.0L V6.

Since I couldn't get a visual on the spark plugs from either the top or underneath, I had to look for answers. According to the things I've read, you can get right at the spark plugs if you remove the front fender liners.

That information checked out. It even seemed like a good idea... until I was painfully, reminded that the designers do not have to work on the vehicles... especially ones that have seen road salt. Yes, I know that a certified garage would love to charge me an arm, leg, and my firstborn child. Since I do not have children, I would be able to afford it, anyway. LOL!

and I thought having to unbolt an A/C compressor to change spark plugs was bad.

now that I got that out my system, here's where I'm at.

The bolts that are holding the fender liners on are rusted to the point that their structural integrity is questionable, and it looks like someone has tried to play with these before I had the truck because most of them have already been rounded off.

Is there a better way to do this?
Usually you have to do it by feel to remove them. Just remember when you put them back in, put some anti-seize on the threads, go slow and hand tighten as far as you can before you put the ratchet to it. If you can't turn it by hand don't force it. Stripped threads are a real nightmare,LOL!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-06-2013
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern, Wisconsin
Posts: 35
I'll go play with it after the morning dew dries up.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-06-2013
Bob C. of Indiana's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Central ,Indiana
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Torture View Post
I'll go play with it after the morning dew dries up.
TMI,LOL!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-06-2013
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern, Wisconsin
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C. of Indiana
TMI,LOL!
Okay... I'll admit that my choice of words was poor. I could have worded that, much better.

In other news, I was successful in changing the plugs and wires. It was nearly as bad it looked.

Those plugs had quite a few miles on them. Does anyone know what plugs would have been in this thing when it rolled off the assembly line?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-06-2013
Bob C. of Indiana's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Central ,Indiana
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Torture View Post
Okay... I'll admit that my choice of words was poor. I could have worded that, much better.

In other news, I was successful in changing the plugs and wires. It was nearly as bad it looked.

Those plugs had quite a few miles on them. Does anyone know what plugs would have been in this thing when it rolled off the assembly line?
Motorcraft. I guess I should have mentioned to be sure and put only Motorcraft plugs back in it as Rangers are real plug particular.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
changing spark plug wires the_remora 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 5 04-03-2011 10:51 PM
Changing Spark Plugs grumpy56 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 9 12-30-2010 09:43 AM
Spark Plug changing tips for 2003 XLT Supercab Liquidswords32 General Technical & Electrical 3 11-01-2010 10:28 PM
Plug changing Long 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 8 04-16-2010 06:07 PM
Changing spark plugs with no lift?? Jeromeo 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 8 01-20-2009 12:15 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:43 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.