Intake? - Page 4 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #76  
Old 02-27-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126



I figured I would try and brighten up this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 02-27-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
^^^^^Oh wow. I like!!
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 02-27-2009
j99ranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delaware, OH
Posts: 1,381
dang, she can deliever to me any day she wants!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03-02-2009
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
Just because I can I'm going to chime in YOU ARE DUMB if you say an aftermarket intake does nothing. Think about it what is the stock filter made of paper AKA what you good sir wipe your @$$ with. Anything and evrything will hurt your truck if you don't maintain it. K&N breaths better that's a FACT so with all of that if you still think oem is better you are a chevy loving purple headed yoger slinger.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 03-03-2009
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_paintbal View Post
Just because I can I'm going to chime in YOU ARE DUMB if you say an aftermarket intake does nothing. Think about it what is the stock filter made of paper AKA what you good sir wipe your @$$ with. Anything and evrything will hurt your truck if you don't maintain it. K&N breaths better that's a FACT so with all of that if you still think oem is better you are a chevy loving purple headed yoger slinger.
See if you can understand this:

A K&N airfilter WILL flow more air than the OEM paper filter, so will chicken wire. However, since the OEM airfilter isn't the limiting factor for the amount of air flowing into the engine, you won't get any more air with the K&N, just more dirt and oil......
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 03-03-2009
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
I think evryone will agree with me that a box constricts air flow O and what do you know the OEM is in a box. The K&N has much better flow.

How do you get dirt and oil in you motor with a K&N? If you are getting oil and dirt then you do not know how to clean a air fliter or you dont clean it on time because you are lazy. when you clean it properly like it tells you too and on time. Nothing will get through it. But when you dont clean it on time or properly or drench the thing in oil like it says NOT to then yes you will get dirt and oil.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 03-03-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_paintbal View Post
I think evryone will agree with me that a box constricts air flow O and what do you know the OEM is in a box. The K&N has much better flow.

How do you get dirt and oil in you motor with a K&N? If you are getting oil and dirt then you do not know how to clean a air fliter or you dont clean it on time because you are lazy. when you clean it properly like it tells you too and on time. Nothing will get through it. But when you dont clean it on time or properly or drench the thing in oil like it says NOT to then yes you will get dirt and oil.
Who cares how much the stock box constrains it. The heads are much worse. Take the intake off, it wont make a difference.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 03-03-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_paintbal View Post
I think evryone will agree with me that a box constricts air flow O and what do you know the OEM is in a box. The K&N has much better flow.

How do you get dirt and oil in you motor with a K&N? If you are getting oil and dirt then you do not know how to clean a air fliter or you dont clean it on time because you are lazy. when you clean it properly like it tells you too and on time. Nothing will get through it. But when you dont clean it on time or properly or drench the thing in oil like it says NOT to then yes you will get dirt and oil.
I don't agree with you
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 03-03-2009
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
so an open filter has the same flow as one in a box with one opening prove me wrong and i will take back what i said.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 03-03-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
But the box isn't the problem. Did you not read the post above you?

Sure an aftermarket intake will flow more, but that is not the limiting factor of performance for your engine. Like jp7 said before, the heads are the limiting factor.

Think of it like a water pipe. the pipe diameter is 2 inches, and it flows into a 1 inch diameter pipe. What happens to the flow of the water if you take the 2 inch pipe off? nothing, because the 2 inch pipe is not the limiting factor. .

Get it?
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 03-03-2009
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_paintbal View Post
so an open filter has the same flow as one in a box with one opening prove me wrong and i will take back what i said.
You could put a sewer pipe on it for an intake, and you wouldn't get any more air!!!
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 03-03-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
This is why I keep saying you need headwork, valves and a tune before you should want to do exhaust and intake mods. Then the big filter and exhaust might give you some gains.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 03-03-2009
i_love_paintbal's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: atown
Posts: 197
Well if its not huring it is helping it IMO
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 03-03-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
That theory makes no sense. If its not hurting or not helping its just a waste of money.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 03-03-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_paintbal View Post
Well if its not huring it is helping it IMO
But it isn't. It doesn't matter what your opinion is, this is truth, take it or leave it. There are several people here that have tested it. And it will hurt it. The reason it a K&N flows more, is because it lets more air in, but what they don't tell you is that it will let more dust in because it is more free flowing. The gauze has more space in between the individual fibers.

Get it?
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 03-03-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
That theory makes no sense. If its not hurting or not helping its just a waste of money.
The only thing it is helping, is separating your money from your wallet.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03-03-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
You could put a sewer pipe on it for an intake, and you wouldn't get any more air!!!
You know that for sure? Till you get a flow bench and test everything I will stick with my aftermarket parts.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 03-03-2009
StrangerRanger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The 253
Posts: 756
To toss my $.02 in.. A 99-00 Mitsu NON-Turbo Eclipse intake is the same size as the TB (3.0l) and has the correct bend to line up to the air box. Just cut the end off where it connects to the maf.

Oh, and they cost like what? $4.99?

A good alternative to those not willing/unable to pony up $220 or so for the K%N. Just cut the front of the airbox out and run a drop in K$N filter.

...and a can of maf cleaner....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil in my intake ? Plentum upper intake boyd_835 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 9 03-26-2014 11:31 PM
Intake Manifold Gasket/Intake Manifold fordboston 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 6 01-25-2010 10:37 PM
Pro-M MAF 75mm and SSD intake ..... FoMoCoFiddy 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 11 12-25-2009 12:22 AM
Composite intake and aluminum intake differences Toreador4x4 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 8 07-16-2009 10:34 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:24 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.