4.0 ranger vs 4.0 tacoma - Page 3 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #51  
Old 12-06-2006
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo
Have you ever took a close look at a Mazda B series? It's very similar....Same 4.0 SOHC, slightly different body panels, same everything......Go to Mazda.com and tell me!
I was jokin lol. I have seen mazada's were ppl have bolt on the ranger frontends
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-06-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 119
Dude you were gettin me all wound up here!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-06-2006
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo
Dude you were gettin me all wound up here!

Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-06-2006
FMD's Avatar
FMD FMD is offline
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amherst NY
Posts: 3,811
well i put 2 transmissions in my mazda 626 in 30K miles. and so far, the dealer has replaced almost all the innards in my transmission so ya.... i see a lil connection here.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-06-2006
TORQUERULES's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ripley, WV
Posts: 302
If I want to race a truck... I have a truck that works just fine...

VVVVVVV

:)
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-07-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD
well i put 2 transmissions in my mazda 626 in 30K miles. and so far, the dealer has replaced almost all the innards in my transmission so ya.... i see a lil connection here.
What transmission is in your truck?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-11-2006
Coy's Avatar
Coy Coy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.
OH... a lil birdy told me a certian Sonic Blue 03 ranger with a few mods and a 5 speed embarrassed the living **** out of a few rice owners of they type of vehical being discussed.
Haha, D. you're funny bro.

I've been tryin to get an '05 Taco 4dr 4x4 6speed to race me since he go the damn thing. He paid like $34K I think. Anyway, I keep tellin him he is gonna get beat by a $17K Ranger and he keeps duckin me. All talk my friends, all talk.

I've been dynoed, to the track, and raced all kinds of good stuff and if he were to beat me, I'd be straight up about it but he just can't bare the thought of losing to a truck that cost half as much.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-11-2006
D.
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coy
Haha, D. you're funny bro.

I've been tryin to get an '05 Taco 4dr 4x4 6speed to race me since he go the damn thing. He paid like $34K I think. Anyway, I keep tellin him he is gonna get beat by a $17K Ranger and he keeps duckin me. All talk my friends, all talk.

I've been dynoed, to the track, and raced all kinds of good stuff and if he were to beat me, I'd be straight up about it but he just can't bare the thought of losing to a truck that cost half as much.
*IF* I didn't ' experiment '..

The total cost of my truck off the lot was under 14k$. Engine work was 3 grand. My ' add ons ' ( intake/exhaust/juice/safety equip ) was a grand.. rear end was 1500.. call it another 1500 for wheels/tires..

20 grand and said Taco doesnt have much of a chance. Hell, can he even get a stripper off the lot for 20grand?

Methinks if someone like Nick would have bought a 2wd, he could do even better as he has better access to ' facilities '.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-28-2007
this_is_nascar's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gloucester Hts, NJ
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Guess im the only one that actually raced one? I mean I didnt beat him by like 6 car lengths but it was a gap. With a taco putting out only 236hp and 266tq and being a much heavier truck I just dont see how they could win even stock. A ranger weighs about 4000lbs (2wd) with a Taco being what 5-55000? To be honest I think the thing that sucks about tacos is they only have Electronic Limited slip (perhaps im wrong?) which you have to engage. The truck I raced had alot of slippage, it was obvious he either didnt it have it engaged or had an open rear end.

With headers, Muffler, intake I think Im the same amount of power as a Taco if not more so again, stock for stock I dunno.
I can't speak to the '05 Taco, but I can for the '07. Limited Slip is automatic in the Sport version. It's not available in the Off-Road version. The Off-Road version has an open-diff, however it has an electronically locking rear differential.

Since I posting to an old thread anyway, I'll add my comments as to the subject of Ranger vs. Tacoma. Having now owed both rigs, I feel I can give an opinion. My '07 Taco pretty much beats my '01 Ranger in just about everything but "manuveurable size", meaning it's easy to park, backup, navigate, etc the Ranger as compared to the larger Tacoma. I can not speak for off-road capability of the Taco, since I've not had it off-road as of yet. As it relates to sheer power, the Taco has it all over the Ranger, without question. There is just no comparision. Again, this is my experience, compared to "my" Ranger with my new Taco which is only a week old.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-28-2007
camodown's Avatar
Lost in Nowhere
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 5,029
I have a feeling you just started this debate right back up
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 07-28-2007
04BlackFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,159
Ok quick question.. how much horsepower does the 4.0 OHV have, and how much horsepower does the newer 4.0 sohc have?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-28-2007
0sixsport's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 860
The ohv has around 160 and the sohc has like 207. idk about torque though.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-28-2007
this_is_nascar's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gloucester Hts, NJ
Posts: 436
Correct. My '01 4.0 liter SOHC Ranger had 207-HP. It was stock. Not sure if it matters, but the gearing was different. The Ranger had 4.10's and the Taco has 3.73's I believe.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-10-2007
RangerEdge4x4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 31
The Tacoma should be faster and better, there is six years between the
two trucks.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-12-2007
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Havre De Grace, MD
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterGuy
hehe mine does to with 265/75 bf at's with 4.0 ohv 160ish HP lol
My 4.0 OHV won't spin the tires even if I try.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-12-2007
dangelj316's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 813
I don't know about you guys, but my 2004 4.0 will smoke a Yota.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-12-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangelj316
I don't know about you guys, but my 2004 4.0 will smoke a Yota.
I'm in tucson with an 07 taco and I will destroy you. lol

I drove a 2004 4.0 SOHC about 1 year ago and its not even close to my truck now...and I have a double cab 4x4 offroad auto

stock x-runners with good drivers have been in the 14.9's
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08-12-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 886
Yea I never got a chance to run a xrunner in my truck. Sweet trucks though!

Ran against a xrunner on the freeway in my car though, it was a little unfair being he was about as aerodynamic as a brick.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-28-2007
indyschmidt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Glenolden, PA
Posts: 6
Icon3

I'm sure the following has been said before, but I can't read everyone's response to this question. Questions like this should seriously just be deleted on sight. It's a stupid and very loaded question. I know mommy and daddy always told us there were no stupid questions, but that was all bull****. It's not just with the Tacoma, it's with every other car and truck manufacturer out there. It just opens the door to spending entirely too much time thinking for a split second about your personal preferences and your personal experiences to answer this stupid question. Then half will agree and the other half will disagree, and we'll all have silly arguments and "conversations", nay "debates" about how great this truck is or how awful that car is.

This is lame. I searched "explorer express", and this topic was the first one to come up. Why? I went through most of the first page and have not seen the words "explorer express" come up yet. Figure that the out.

I realize this is probably my second or third post ever, but that doesn't make me an idiot or something. Of course, all of the preceding was my own opinion expressed willingly, and perhaps a little short-sightedly, as is my nature. Sorry, or not.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-28-2007
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyschmidt
This is lame. I searched "explorer express", and this topic was the first one to come up. Why? I went through most of the first page and have not seen the words "explorer express" come up yet. Figure that the out.
The reason this thread came up is because explorer express was mentioned somewhere. It you just go to the search drop down menu and type something in
then it will search entire threads for what you wrote.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08-30-2007
mersingt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Apex nc
Posts: 340
Id take a 07 nismo frontier 6 speed....hmmmm

but if your wanting to race trucks go for the dodge ram srt 10
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-30-2007
0sixsport's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyschmidt
I'm sure the following has been said before, but I can't read everyone's response to this question. Questions like this should seriously just be deleted on sight. It's a stupid and very loaded question. I know mommy and daddy always told us there were no stupid questions, but that was all bull****. It's not just with the Tacoma, it's with every other car and truck manufacturer out there. It just opens the door to spending entirely too much time thinking for a split second about your personal preferences and your personal experiences to answer this stupid question. Then half will agree and the other half will disagree, and we'll all have silly arguments and "conversations", nay "debates" about how great this truck is or how awful that car is.

This is lame. I searched "explorer express", and this topic was the first one to come up. Why? I went through most of the first page and have not seen the words "explorer express" come up yet. Figure that the out.

I realize this is probably my second or third post ever, but that doesn't make me an idiot or something. Of course, all of the preceding was my own opinion expressed willingly, and perhaps a little short-sightedly, as is my nature. Sorry, or not.
It's funny how I found the answer to my question about half way down the first page. Someone who has had experience driving both the sohc ranger and the 05-07 tacoma and who is unbiased was able to answer my question just fine. If you read the question a little more carefully you will realize that I was only asking if the two vehicles felt similar in power, not which one would win a race. So thanks for your opinion that the question I posted was a stupid one.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-30-2007
dbking321's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Shippensburg/York PA
Posts: 636
i raced a older v8 tundra and was half a car ahead the hole time till my rev kicked in so i vote ranger
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-30-2007
karrbass4life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 3,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZZARDJOHN
Having owned two SOHC rangers both auto and stick, and Having test driven three 05-06-07 Tacomas all V6's one with a Stick, I will say the taco wins hands down. It is a Better truck in every aspect I can throw at it, But to be fair it is a new design from the frame up and the ranger is a 20 year old design with modern updates.

~HJ
Not to mention the Cologne V-6 is a bit outdated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersingt
but if your wanting to race trucks go for the dodge ram srt 10
Ever heard of the Nitemare F-150, or the Roush Stage 3, the Saleen S331, or the New Harley Davidson? Im sure they are faster than an SRT-10 and are around the same price range.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-31-2007
jdpartsman99's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: osage,ia
Posts: 228
If I had a Taco....it would have a V-8. And bald rear tires hehe!

If Ford has any brains left in it's head, the 'new generation' Ranger or whatever they will call it will have a V-8 of some kind. Hell, I'd even go for the 3.5L with 265hp out of the Edge!

Like I've said before.....I hate my Ranger because it gets V-8 gas mileage with V-6 power.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Tacoma? RangOH General Ford Ranger Discussion 23 02-13-2009 09:54 AM
My Tacoma ARB Bumper On Trigger01 Snapshots 60 11-17-2008 07:16 AM
wanting a tacoma look... rangerGT Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 40 07-01-2007 04:15 PM
05 TRD Offroad Tacoma v.s. 05 Ranger Edge ToyoTech General Ford Ranger Discussion 32 08-05-2005 09:23 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:54 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.