Serpentine belt. Tighten? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-12-2009
rizoss16's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 808
Serpentine belt. Tighten?

I have some annoying squeeling and screeching that just started last week. It is not a constant squeel like my cherokee has, its intermittent, especially when I first start the truck. It always happens every drive, but by intermittent i mean: "chrip.....chir chirp chirp...... 2 minutes later... squeeeeeel chirp.."
LOL you get the point.
At first it was only while the engine was warming up, now it comes and goes as Im driving to. There are not cracks in the belt, I think it just needs to be tightened. How much freeplay should there be, I can pull it up and down with my hand fairly easily, I guess.
How do you tighten it? Where is the tensionor, ow do I access it, which direction do I turn it, and what size socket?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-12-2009
buckgnarly's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Topsham, VT
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizoss16 View Post
I have some annoying squeeling and screeching that just started last week. It is not a constant squeel like my cherokee has, its intermittent, especially when I first start the truck. It always happens every drive, but by intermittent i mean: "chrip.....chir chirp chirp...... 2 minutes later... squeeeeeel chirp.."
LOL you get the point.
At first it was only while the engine was warming up, now it comes and goes as Im driving to. There are not cracks in the belt, I think it just needs to be tightened. How much freeplay should there be, I can pull it up and down with my hand fairly easily, I guess.
How do you tighten it? Where is the tensionor, ow do I access it, which direction do I turn it, and what size socket?
Auto tension, no way to adjust it. MIGHT be worn out, might also need a new belt or another accessory pulley.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2009
rizoss16's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 808
Do I get a cheap belt from autozone or do I get the gatorbelt or whatvever it is I remember hearing about?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizoss16 View Post
Do I get a cheap belt from autozone or do I get the gatorbelt or whatvever it is I remember hearing about?
Use what you want. The Gatorback belt will be the better belt. How old is your belt now?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-12-2009
rizoss16's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 808
I have no idea I just bought the truck about a month ago, there's 120,000 miles on the truck
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-12-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizoss16 View Post
I have no idea I just bought the truck about a month ago, there's 120,000 miles on the truck
Probably time for a belt. Mine was cracked at 110K miles. My old one used to slip when I drove through water or washed the engine. The Gatorback I have now doesn't slip at all. Well it is a new belt end tensiionor but just by look this belt will be hard to slip.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-12-2009
0RangerEdge2's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,593
I say belt and tensioner. I was experiencing the same thing you are on my 3.0. The tensioner was worn out. $70 (tensioner) later and no more squeaking.

Definitely go with a Goodyear Gatorback belt.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-19-2009
rizoss16's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 808
Ok, Im swaping out the belt this weekend, I will get the gatorback as long as they stock them at autozone.
So all I have to do is get that tool, turn that bolt to the right and my belt will loosen so I can pull it off? Then i just put the new on on and turn the bolt back to the left until its tight again?
Or is it like when you turn the bolt to the right, the whole tensioner moves and swings back when you let go of the bolt? Or does the bolt itself back out and loosen the tension?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-19-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Turn the tensionor away from the belt then move the belt out of the way then release the tensionor slowly. Make sure you get the correct tensionor. Compare the two and make sure the new one has the proper alignment tab. When you go to put the but the belt on pay attention to the routing diagram sticker on your truck. I run it everywhere except the tensionor and alternator. Then I pull the tensionor away and run the belt through the tensionor and alternator.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-19-2009
rizoss16's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 808
Ok, so when you say you pull the tensioner away, you turn the bolt right, and hold it there with one hand and rout the belt with the other? or will it stay there
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-19-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
No. You turn the tensionor with the tool in the hole not by the bolt. When you turn it you have to hold it there.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-19-2009
rizoss16's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 808
ok, loosen the bolt, (turn right), then stick a thick flathead on some whole and pull it to the right and pull the belt off?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-19-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Nope. Rent the free tool and put it in the square hole. Turn the tensionor away from the belt and hold it. The only time you mess with the bolt is to take it off of the truck.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-19-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Here is the tool:



The hole where the tool goes is square and on the back side of the pulley(not a Ranger tensionor):



When you go to mess with it you will see wich way to take it off. I think you turn it toward the passenger side but I forgot. Just use common sense.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-19-2009
rizoss16's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 808
Alright awesome!!! Makes perfect sense thanks for the help I appreciate it man!!!
When I am pulling the tensioner, if it feels easy to pull (not too much resistance) that indicates that i need a new tensioner right? Auto zone has them for 33$, and idle pulleys for 17$. SShould I replace all of those parts at once? (I don't have the money to but if need be I could), or just try the belt first and see if that stops the squeak? It seams to squeel more when it is cold, not so much when its warm.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-19-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
The new tensionor will definatly feel stronger than the old one.

Replacing everything is up to you. I replaced everything when I did mine because I had 110K miles on my truck. I still have a squeak but its my fan clutch and that will be changed out this weekend. The squeak could be anything.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-19-2009
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
Nope. Rent the free tool and put it in the square hole. Turn the tensionor away from the belt and hold it. The only time you mess with the bolt is to take it off of the truck.
In the tutorial Takeda linked he was saying to use just a wrench on that bolt to loosen the belts tension, I didn't see the tutorial until you linked it just now and I did the same thing he did to loosen mine. The only thing is I put a piece of skinny pipe over the wrench so that someone else could hold it down easily and out of the way while I messed with the belt. You don't NEED the special tool, it only makes it easier.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-19-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
In the tutorial Takeda linked he was saying to use just a wrench on that bolt to loosen the belts tension, I didn't see the tutorial until you linked it just now and I did the same thing he did to loosen mine. The only thing is I put a piece of skinny pipe over the wrench so that someone else could hold it down easily and out of the way while I messed with the belt. You don't NEED the special tool, it only makes it easier.
So it makes the job easier, its free to rent and you can get it at the parts store you will be at already. Hmmmmm
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-19-2009
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
So it makes the job easier, its free to rent and you can get it at the parts store you will be at already. Hmmmmm
I'm not saying not to use it. Just if they don't have it or if for some reason he can't get it, it's still not too difficult to do without
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-19-2009
Geezmo01's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southeast, WI
Posts: 85
I used a piece of .75 conduit and a socket wrench. Werkt four me!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Belt Tensioner - Won't Tighten Enough" R Carson 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 5 04-03-2009 07:07 AM
Gatorback serpentine belt price PW01 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 7 09-22-2007 07:50 AM
Serpentine belt noises rangerdan01 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 13 12-16-2006 12:48 PM
Help with tensioner Pulley and Serpentine belt removal JTG 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 7 08-11-2006 08:05 PM
Serpentine Belt Change Time eXtremePC General Ford Ranger Discussion 13 02-16-2005 12:28 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.