How big can i go? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


8-Cylinder Tech If you are one of the few with a V8 engine in your Ranger, or if you dream of a Ranger with a V8 engine, this is the sub-forum for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-07-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midway, GA
Posts: 7
How big can i go?

Hi, I have a 1995 Ford Ranger supercab 2.3 4 cyl. manual. what is the biggest engine that would fit in the truck? I know i will need to change the trans and clutch etc. I am just wondering from your experiences which motor would go best in the truck. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-07-2015
Dewey's Avatar
@THE_ALMIGHTY_E4_RANGER
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arcadia, Fl
Posts: 2,054
A 5.0 would be the easiest. Its been documents hundreds of times
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2015
mikerider's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 2,504
Sky is the limit really, just depends how much time effort and money you want to put in. There a ranger with a 5.4 navigator motor, a 6.0 diesel, and one guy working on a 6.8 v10 swap.

The 5.0 is a great swap though that takes minimal modification to complete and has plenty of power potential.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-07-2015
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,615
Yes, 5.0l(302) is best choice.

There are also MANY modifications(upgrades) available for the 5.0l since it is a very popular engine.

Also remember whatever you drop in will have to be serviced, i.e. change spark plugs, so keep that in mind.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2015
bravetitan24's Avatar
Strokin'
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Haughton, LA
Posts: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerider View Post
Sky is the limit really, just depends how much time effort and money you want to put in. There a ranger with a 5.4 navigator motor, a 6.0 diesel, and one guy working on a 6.8 v10 swap.

The 5.0 is a great swap though that takes minimal modification to complete and has plenty of power potential.
Who's doing the V10?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-07-2015
mikerider's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravetitan24 View Post
Who's doing the V10?
cdwell I believe, black 05 with SAS swap.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-07-2015
bravetitan24's Avatar
Strokin'
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Haughton, LA
Posts: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerider View Post
cdwell I believe, black 05 with SAS swap.
Dang, I didn't know that. Forget my little 347, that's going to be bad *** lol
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-17-2015
faststang90's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: dayton texas
Posts: 113
is this a weekend truck or something you plan on driving all the time and how much money are you planning to spend. for the best and easy I say a 302 block. if you have the money and the time and its a driver I would do the over head cam 5.0 and the 6 speed auto
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-17-2015
Fordzilla80's Avatar
YZ
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerider View Post
cdwell I believe, black 05 with SAS swap.
He's had that V10 for years hasn't he? I'll believe it when I see it. lol.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-17-2015
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
He's had that V10 for years hasn't he? I'll believe it when I see it. lol.
He has it mounted in the engine bay lol and that swap is definitely expensive so it's gonna be slow going
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-17-2015
Fordzilla80's Avatar
YZ
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,042
I stopped following his build thread because nothing was happening. lol. I just remember him having a V10 sitting on the trailer in front of his truck years ago when he moved.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-17-2015
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
I stopped following his build thread because nothing was happening. lol. I just remember him having a V10 sitting on the trailer in front of his truck years ago when he moved.
Oh okay haha. Yeah he made motor mounts and mounted it in
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-17-2015
Fordzilla80's Avatar
YZ
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00GreenRanger View Post
Oh okay haha. Yeah he made motor mounts and mounted it in
Just found the update.

Pedro still said it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99offroadrngr View Post
nice! you're almost ready to outwheel Dustin S. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-17-2015
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,615
Well Volkswagen Group has the W 12 engine, very cool concept, cylinders are staggered on a basic "V" type block, so they call it a "W" with 12 cylinders, W 12.

6.0l 48 valves, makes about 450HP with 430ft/lb torque

The staggering means it is only 20 inches long, but 28 inches tall and 28 inches wide

302 and 351 are 27 inches long
302 is 21 inches tall and 19 inches wide
351 is 24 inches tall and 21 inches wide

Picture of W 12 without head here: Bentley: How the W12 engine was invented

Can't imaging how much a head might weight, even in aluminum.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-20-2015
INT3RC3PTOR's Avatar
Veteran Status Achieved
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesooooota
Posts: 8,203
definitely odd
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-20-2015
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
Well Volkswagen Group has the W 12 engine, very cool concept, cylinders are staggered on a basic "V" type block, so they call it a "W" with 12 cylinders, W 12.

6.0l 48 valves, makes about 450HP with 430ft/lb torque

The staggering means it is only 20 inches long, but 28 inches tall and 28 inches wide

302 and 351 are 27 inches long
302 is 21 inches tall and 19 inches wide
351 is 24 inches tall and 21 inches wide

Picture of W 12 without head here: Bentley: How the W12 engine was invented

Can't imaging how much a head might weight, even in aluminum.
Looks/Sounds like an interesting motor
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big O big tire sale!!! 04_xlt_4.0_4x4 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 6 06-12-2011 10:12 AM
My big truck project (big pics) BigMan Project Logs 38 05-29-2008 09:13 PM
the big three, Big 3 karrbass4life General Ford Ranger Discussion 5 10-31-2007 03:06 PM
Anyone have Big O Big Foot XTs? IR0NS1N Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 9 03-07-2007 11:15 PM
how big of tires can i get? powermanb3000 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 39 12-14-2005 08:33 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.