1354 e to m swap setback... - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-26-2009
Chance's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 170
1354 e to m swap setback...

Well pulled my electronic shift case out and noticed one huge difference between it and the manual shift (aside from the shift style)

Name:  DSCN0299.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  86.0 KB

My question is, how hard/easy is it to replace the cardan style joint for the front driveshaft with the cv style?

-OR-

Should I just swap a cardan style driveshaft into my truck?
Which ranger shaft would fit best? Explorer?

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-26-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
96 explorer shaft should bolt right in
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-26-2009
ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Posts: 4,502
man this is the only difference between a pre98 case and a 02-03 case. Get the cardan joint shaft. The tuplip style is gay.

Should of bought a case from an 02-03 :) ahah jjk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-26-2009
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
yep just get the right drive shaft and you will be good to go. do you have the bolt holes in your tranny for the manual shift linkage?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-26-2009
Chance's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 170
Yep I'm blessed to have a 99... I got the correct tailhousing already
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-26-2009
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
haha i was too and i got my tcase for free
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-26-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
I was fasta on TRS peeps!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-26-2009
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
^^^ what
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-26-2009
Chance's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 170
Yup... shane answered on TRS in like, two freakin minutes... by the time I posted the thread here, I was like, hot damn.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-26-2009
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
haha
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-26-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Now chance, get that case in it and go prowl the middle school...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-26-2009
Chance's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 170
I'm on it!

Hey lil girl... you wanna see my new shifter?

Just hop on in
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-26-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
HAHAHAHA....


What are you going to be running for interior stuff? Bezels, boots, etc. I've got a bunch of spare stuff that I was going to use, but then I found my Fx4L2 interior stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-26-2009
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
shane when are you going to sell me that shift boot for cheap
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-26-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
thought you needed a tcase boot and the twin stick high offset bezel?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-26-2009
Chance's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
HAHAHAHA....


What are you going to be running for interior stuff? Bezels, boots, etc. I've got a bunch of spare stuff that I was going to use, but then I found my Fx4L2 interior stuff.
Uh, I dunno yet. I do need a radio bezel w/o the 4x4 switch... don't really care if it has fog lights or not... I still have all my fog light wires but I was considering wiring my off road lights to them but idk...

I think I'll need the twinstick offset boot but I'll find out tomorrow when I put the shifter in...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-26-2009
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
thought you needed a tcase boot and the twin stick high offset bezel?
yes i do
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-26-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Uh, I dunno yet. I do need a radio bezel w/o the 4x4 switch... don't really care if it has fog lights or not... I still have all my fog light wires but I was considering wiring my off road lights to them but idk...

I think I'll need the twinstick offset boot but I'll find out tomorrow when I put the shifter in...
I know a kid who's gonna have the two cig lighter only bezel for sale soon...

I've got 3 of the fog+2 cig lighter bezels, but I may want a pretty penny as theyre pretty rare items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downey View Post
yes i do
You never have the money...soo..... Shipping there is gonna run about $20, and the parts ran me about 20...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-26-2009
icthusrulz's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
man this is the only difference between a pre98 case and a 02-03 case. Get the cardan joint shaft. The tuplip style is gay.

Should of bought a case from an 02-03 :) ahah jjk
Ok, so the only difference between the 02-03 manual t-case and the pre-98 manual t-cases are the front driveshaft joint which can be sourced from an explorer? Other than that it's a straight up swap? (t-case linkage bosses on the transmission not withstanding)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-26-2009
Chance's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
I know a kid who's gonna have the two cig lighter only bezel for sale soon...

I've got 3 of the fog+2 cig lighter bezels, but I may want a pretty penny as theyre pretty rare items.
PM me I may have to get in touch with him...
also included in that message would be how much you'd want for that bezel but you know how the build on my truck is
We'll see what happens after I go junkyardin tomorrow
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-27-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by icthusrulz View Post
Ok, so the only difference between the 02-03 manual t-case and the pre-98 manual t-cases are the front driveshaft joint which can be sourced from an explorer? Other than that it's a straight up swap? (t-case linkage bosses on the transmission not withstanding)
Only differences I know on the cases themselves are as follows:

Front outputs: 97 older = ujoint half moons. 02-03(also all 98+) = weird funky CV style 'bucket'.

Shift linkage: hard to describe, but the first bracket that actually shifts the rails inside the case, is different on both cases. 97 and older = bolt on. 02-03 = attached, unremovable.


Most if not all '00 and older manual trans have the threaded bungs for the linkage on the tailhousings. Most if not all auto trans have the threaded bungs for the linkage. 01+ manual trans do not have the threaded bungs. Only 02-03 twinstick Fx4 trucks got that tailhousing if equipped with manual transmission. Reason 01+ manuals are different, is because in 01, Ford moved the speed sensor location to the tailhousing. IF you want a speedo on a 01+ manual truck and want a manual case, youre stuck trying to find a part that was only avaliable on the highest model truck, only manual transmission, and only made 2 model years.





If you have the right parts, it is a direct swap. I've got one in my '01....only took me two years of hardcore searching for a tailhousing.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-27-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
PM me I may have to get in touch with him...
also included in that message would be how much you'd want for that bezel but you know how the build on my truck is
We'll see what happens after I go junkyardin tomorrow
soooo....basically condition doesn't matter. lol!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-27-2009
Chance's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
soooo....basically condition doesn't matter. lol!
Exactly

The cheaper the better... although the interior is probably the "nicest" part of my truck
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-27-2009
ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Posts: 4,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
Only differences I know on the cases themselves are as follows:

Front outputs: 97 older = ujoint half moons. 02-03(also all 98+) = weird funky CV style 'bucket'.

Shift linkage: hard to describe, but the first bracket that actually shifts the rails inside the case, is different on both cases. 97 and older = bolt on. 02-03 = attached, unremovable.


Most if not all '00 and older manual trans have the threaded bungs for the linkage on the tailhousings. Most if not all auto trans have the threaded bungs for the linkage. 01+ manual trans do not have the threaded bungs. Only 02-03 twinstick Fx4 trucks got that tailhousing if equipped with manual transmission. Reason 01+ manuals are different, is because in 01, Ford moved the speed sensor location to the tailhousing. IF you want a speedo on a 01+ manual truck and want a manual case, youre stuck trying to find a part that was only avaliable on the highest model truck, only manual transmission, and only made 2 model years.





If you have the right parts, it is a direct swap. I've got one in my '01....only took me two years of hardcore searching for a tailhousing.
I found the tailhousing in 1 day from my uncle at ford. Idk how you guys could not find it.... all the talk about i heard about it being hard to find, and ford has none, then i go down there and there it is.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-27-2009
icthusrulz's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 296
Do the '01+ manual tailhousings or transmissions have locations that can be drilled and tapped for the linkage so you don't need the '02-'03 FX4 tailhousing?

Can you use an older tailhousing and retrofit the speed sensor to the transmission?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manual 1354 Swap MXranger489 Drivetrain Tech 8 04-16-2009 05:17 PM
1350/1354 Doubler Tech redranger4.0 Drivetrain Tech 34 02-16-2009 03:07 PM
dual t-cases: 1354/1354 doubler? 2002FX4 Drivetrain Tech 3 08-21-2008 02:16 PM
Borg Warner 1354 interchangeability zabeard Drivetrain Tech 39 05-04-2008 06:56 PM
Manual 1354 questions! Help! EdGe_wannabe Drivetrain Tech 10 02-13-2008 08:32 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:23 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.