A FEW QUICK QUESTIONS? FROM A NEWBIE - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-15-2009
BILTRITE BULLIES's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NM
Posts: 557
Icon5 A FEW QUICK QUESTIONS? FROM A NEWBIE

SORRY IF THIS AINT THE PLACE TO POST THIS
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AROUND ALOT AND HAVE LEARNED ALOT BUT...
IM JUST LOOKING TO GET A COUPLE ?'S ANSWERED FROM SOME SEASOND VETS

MY TRUCK IS A 2006 FX4 LEVEL II

1. IT WENT FROM 31X10.5 INCH TIRES (STOCK) TO 33X12.5 SHOULD I RE-GEAR?
OR WILL A TUNER/CHIP OR WHAT EVER BE ENOUGH.. OR SHOULD I DO BOTH
AND IF SO WHAT BRAND OF TUNER OR GEARS DO YOU RECOMEND??

2. IM WANTING TO GET NEW RIMS, IS THERE AN ADVANTAGE TO 15 INCH RIMS OVER 16?
THERE SEEMS TO BE A BIGGER SELECTION OF WHEELS IN THE 16 INCH
SO I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANY REASON I SHOULD STAY WITH 15'S

3. MY TRUCK WAS ORDERD AND OWNED BY A FORD DEALER THEN SOLD AT AN AUCTION
TO A SUBARU DEALER THEY ONLY HAD IT FOR A COUPLE DAYS
WHEN I BOUGHT IT, ITS ALL ON CAR FAX, POINT IS...
I THINK IT HAS HAD MOTOR CRAFT OIL IN IT ITS WHOLE LIFE,
I DONT KNOW FOR SURE BUT IT WAS OWNED BY A FORD SHOP ITS WHOLE LIFE
AND THE STICKER IN THE WINDOW SAYS FORD MOTOR CRAFT
(STILL GOT A FEW THOUSAND BEFOR IT NEEDS CHANGED)
SO MY QUESTION IS SHOULD I STAY WITH THAT OIL, OR DO YOU RECOMEND SOMTHING ELSE?
IT HAS A LITTLE UNDER 50K ON IT
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2009
Dangerranger01's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Boring/Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 2,011
Please dont yell at us. We'll be nicer and answer questions when you ask in a civil matter.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-15-2009
BILTRITE BULLIES's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NM
Posts: 557
LOL
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-15-2009
Mykhael's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: .
Posts: 4,197
Larger tires regear if you dont have 4.10's

Tuner is good if you want performance gains from the truck and if you plan to do exhaust and such

15" rims are cheaper than 16" rims and the tires will be diffrent price also

When built it has motorcraft from the factory so unless some one changed it before u got it it probably has motorcraft
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-15-2009
Smakes's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: nowhere
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILTRITE BULLIES View Post

2. IM WANTING TO GET NEW RIMS, IS THERE AN ADVANTAGE TO 15 INCH RIMS OVER 16?
THERE SEEMS TO BE A BIGGER SELECTION OF WHEELS IN THE 16 INCH
SO I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANY REASON I SHOULD STAY WITH 15'S

do you like paying 50+ dollars ontop of what a 15 inch tire costs for a 16 inch tire? lol

thats really the only dif
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-15-2009
BILTRITE BULLIES's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NM
Posts: 557
THANKS FOR THE REPLYS FOLX

I COULD BE WRONG BUT I THINK IT HAS 4.10'S

AND IT HAS A MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER ON IT
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-15-2009
99MazdaB4000's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,980
I'm going assume it has 4:10s, I believe all FX4's have 4:10s, some had 4:56s......and PLEASE, lol, stop typing in all caps.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-15-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 161
Dude, caps lock....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-15-2009
Niks97cobra's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 43
My eyes hurt from this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-15-2009
The_Punisher's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chino Hills, CA
Posts: 438
man that is annoying...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-15-2009
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
You dont need to regear. You have a 4.0 and 4.10's, youre fine. Get a tuner and call it a day. And you have some nice wheels, keep em. They look good on your truck and tires for that size rim is cheaper.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-15-2009
Jaaia's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99MazdaB4000 View Post
......and PLEASE, lol, stop typing in all caps.
x 1,000,000,002
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-15-2009
seed60's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 5,584
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-16-2009
dixie_boysles's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerboy101 View Post
You dont need to regear. You have a 4.0 and 4.10's, youre fine. Get a tuner and call it a day. And you have some nice wheels, keep em. They look good on your truck and tires for that size rim is cheaper.
noo, get new wheels and give the alcoas to me!!!!! no seriously, ur truck looks GREAT the way it is, no need for anything! im so jealous, i want a Level II so bad
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-16-2009
BILTRITE BULLIES's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NM
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99MazdaB4000 View Post
I'm going assume it has 4:10s, I believe all FX4's have 4:10s, some had 4:56s......and PLEASE, lol, stop typing in all caps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfish View Post
Dude, caps lock....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niks97cobra View Post
My eyes hurt from this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Punisher View Post
man that is annoying...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaia View Post
x 1,000,000,002
wow... sorry guys didnt mean to hurt your eyes...
damn grammer ****'s...lol j/k

you guys should check out my board evey body uses caps and make there font size about a 10...lol

Mikeland Federation - Powered by vBulletin

thanks to the folx that answered my questions, much appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-16-2009
Rooks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILTRITE BULLIES View Post
MY TRUCK IS A 2006 FX4 LEVEL II

1. IT WENT FROM 31X10.5 INCH TIRES (STOCK) TO 33X12.5 SHOULD I RE-GEAR?
OR WILL A TUNER/CHIP OR WHAT EVER BE ENOUGH.. OR SHOULD I DO BOTH
AND IF SO WHAT BRAND OF TUNER OR GEARS DO YOU RECOMEND??

2. IM WANTING TO GET NEW RIMS, IS THERE AN ADVANTAGE TO 15 INCH RIMS OVER 16?
THERE SEEMS TO BE A BIGGER SELECTION OF WHEELS IN THE 16 INCH
SO I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WAS ANY REASON I SHOULD STAY WITH 15'S

3. MY TRUCK WAS ORDERD AND OWNED BY A FORD DEALER THEN SOLD AT AN AUCTION
TO A SUBARU DEALER THEY ONLY HAD IT FOR A COUPLE DAYS
WHEN I BOUGHT IT, ITS ALL ON CAR FAX, POINT IS...
I THINK IT HAS HAD MOTOR CRAFT OIL IN IT ITS WHOLE LIFE,
I DONT KNOW FOR SURE BUT IT WAS OWNED BY A FORD SHOP ITS WHOLE LIFE
AND THE STICKER IN THE WINDOW SAYS FORD MOTOR CRAFT
(STILL GOT A FEW THOUSAND BEFOR IT NEEDS CHANGED)
SO MY QUESTION IS SHOULD I STAY WITH THAT OIL, OR DO YOU RECOMEND SOMTHING ELSE?
IT HAS A LITTLE UNDER 50K ON IT
Most have already been answered, but I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.

1. No need to re-gear. Maybe if you go up to 35s. I ran 3.73 gears with 33's and it was fine. 4.10's will seem normal.

2. No advantage or disadvantage really. Other then 16s being more expensive. I suppose if you really wanted to do some customizing you could fit larger Brake rotors in their but if you wanted to do something like go with 18s and get some nice big brakes.

3. Personally, I'll always use AmsOil in all my cars and trucks. I like being able to go 15k per oil change and I've never had issues with an engine that was running it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-16-2009
Brit-ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 651
Use caps as much as you want .
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-16-2009
annguyen1981's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicopee, MA
Posts: 1,888
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-16-2009
BILTRITE BULLIES's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NM
Posts: 557
thanks you matt

THANK YOU ANT...LOL

tony -
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello, I'm a newbie here whit a few questions. brentmc 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 11 02-27-2014 11:42 AM
A few general questions from a newbie dadof2 General Ford Ranger Discussion 7 09-03-2010 10:10 AM
Newbie here...with a few questions 68ranger General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 01-13-2010 05:22 PM
a few quick questions billabong98z Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 7 10-02-2008 12:48 AM
A few newbie questions Phil93Xlt General Ford Ranger Discussion 5 11-20-2007 09:34 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:19 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.