I got off my butt - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-11-2009
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
I got off my butt

and finally did the throttle cable mod. I'm sure this is the 100th thread. While it doesn't feel like a whole new truck (still a 3.slow) the throttle response is 1000% better and I picked up a half a second on average 0-60. It feels awkward heel toeing (yes, I heel toe downshift my pickup ) now that the throttle petal is even with the brake but I'm sure I'll get use to it. It's also easier to get it to stick at a single speed. Ford really could have stepped their game up with this throttle cable.



I've got a few friends with rangers that I'm going to do this to on the sly and see if they notice.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-11-2009
Dranger024's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 90
You arent the only one that heel toe's your Ranger. I got so used to doing it in my Audi that I never quit. My feet are wide enough that I can use both sides of my right foot though, just roll my ankle and she revs right up!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2009
Roach2004's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,320
I been needing to do this mod!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-11-2009
sarasota4x4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: sarasota florida
Posts: 404
i dont think i understand it because i i cant find any slack in my cable
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2009
Riceman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasota4x4 View Post
i dont think i understand it because i i cant find any slack in my cable
Same here. My pedal opens the throttle plate completely, no zip ties needed. The only thing it would do for me is put more stress on the cable.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2009
WowMike2001's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stevenson, WA
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceman View Post
Same here. My pedal opens the throttle plate completely, no zip ties needed. The only thing it would do for me is put more stress on the cable.
Yep, thats it exactly - some peopel do this mod claiming its working for them.. while all its doing is putting way more stress on the cable - makign it snap down the road... thats bad when that happens by the way


But - if there is a ton of slack like some people get, then doing this mod does help a bit!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2009
98rangerxlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 725
Okay im gonna ask a noob question. How exactly do you do the throttle cable mod?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-11-2009
BBBB51's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Alb. N.M.
Posts: 213
I dont think taking the slack out of the cable with a zip tie would make it snap any easier, but i could be wrong . Mine has been done for a couple years now . I even added another zip tie a while back.Well to do th mod u get on the floor of the drivers side and find the end of the cable , I think its behind the gas pedal and if u can pull slack in it u put a zip tie there, between the end of cable and the pedal and your done. It make the pedal come towards your foot more since slack is gone.Correct me if I am wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-11-2009
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by WowMike2001 View Post
Yep, thats it exactly - some peopel do this mod claiming its working for them.. while all its doing is putting way more stress on the cable - makign it snap down the road... thats bad when that happens by the way


But - if there is a ton of slack like some people get, then doing this mod does help a bit!
That little spring thing that is supposed to take up the slack will prevent any snappage from happening. You're truck will idle too high before you'll shorten it enough to cause any damage. Aside from that, if you are pushing the throttle hard enough to snap 3/32" steel cable you need to check into a road rage management school. lol




As for how to do the mod, move your driver's seat as far back as possible, lay down face up on the floorboard looking under the dash. Pull the gas pedal forward. If you see any slack in the cable, wrap zip ties around it until there is no more slack. Mine had over a half inch of slack.

To see if you actually need it, pull your intake off and have someone push the throttle to the floor. If your throttle plate isn't at a 90 degree angle to the throttle body opening then you should pull some slack out of the cable.

Even if your throttle plate opens all the way, this mod will give the pedal a more solid feel and IMO I have better control over the motor and more throttle feedback now.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-12-2009
truckcap22's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: petersburg
Posts: 630
mine was terrible when i first got my truck i would floor it and rpms would barely reach 2500, now she jumpsto 5000 purty quickly
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-12-2009
WowMike2001's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stevenson, WA
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFranger View Post
That little spring thing that is supposed to take up the slack will prevent any snappage from happening. You're truck will idle too high before you'll shorten it enough to cause any damage. Aside from that, if you are pushing the throttle hard enough to snap 3/32" steel cable you need to check into a road rage management school. lol




As for how to do the mod, move your driver's seat as far back as possible, lay down face up on the floorboard looking under the dash. Pull the gas pedal forward. If you see any slack in the cable, wrap zip ties around it until there is no more slack. Mine had over a half inch of slack.

To see if you actually need it, pull your intake off and have someone push the throttle to the floor. If your throttle plate isn't at a 90 degree angle to the throttle body opening then you should pull some slack out of the cable.

Even if your throttle plate opens all the way, this mod will give the pedal a more solid feel and IMO I have better control over the motor and more throttle feedback now.
We have had members on here snap there throttle cables before - its very possible.. it stretches over time - putting more stress on it will cause it to.. stretch further? Nope - probably snap more than anything if its bad enough to have to put 3 ro 4 zip ties in to take up slack; in that case - your better off just buying another throttle cable and do it the proper way

I can say - I did do this myself though, I had a bit of slack and threw in a 1/4" big zip tie head in there to take some up.. if it gets any worse down the years Ill just replace it probably.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-12-2009
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by WowMike2001 View Post
We have had members on here snap there throttle cables before - its very possible.. it stretches over time - putting more stress on it will cause it to.. stretch further? Nope - probably snap more than anything if its bad enough to have to put 3 ro 4 zip ties in to take up slack; in that case - your better off just buying another throttle cable and do it the proper way

I can say - I did do this myself though, I had a bit of slack and threw in a 1/4" big zip tie head in there to take some up.. if it gets any worse down the years Ill just replace it probably.
Do an experiment. Go down to lowes/home depot and buy some of the smallest steel cable they have available. Try and brake it with your body and your body alone. You wont.


Broken throttle cables are most likely from oxidation or a kink in the cable. The whole purpose of that little spring mechanism on the cable is to make sure there is never more than just enough tension on the cable to open the throttle. Maybe on older vehicles that didn't have that little spring mechanism it could help stretch it over time but the tension on the cable before and after doing this mod should be the same if your cable is the same as mine.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-12-2009
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
yeah i dont see it breaking either. not from this mod that is. Also like mentioned before there is a spring on the Throttle body, so if it did break it would go into idle state and you would slow down.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-13-2009
FordX4Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 487
i noticed a difference when i did this to my 04 this past spring. its one of the quick and easy mods to do for next to nothing
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-13-2009
Dranger024's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFranger View Post
Do an experiment. Go down to lowes/home depot and buy some of the smallest steel cable they have available. Try and brake it with your body and your body alone. You wont.
I've snapped the brake cable on my bike more than once and it wasnt chaffing or kinked... straight up stretched and broke. Just sayin!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-13-2009
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranger024 View Post
I've snapped the brake cable on my bike more than once and it wasnt chaffing or kinked... straight up stretched and broke. Just sayin!
Quit ridding huffy man.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discount Tire is pretty kick butt BigRedDog Ranger Products, Company, & Member Reviews 31 07-01-2010 11:11 AM
A tossed butt bazzman1953 General Ford Ranger Discussion 2 03-29-2008 12:15 AM
Why does my gear oil smell like butt??? Needforspeed3685 General Ford Ranger Discussion 8 03-15-2007 01:48 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:14 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.