Coverting to synthetic - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-22-2006
buzzair's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Posts: 2,341
Coverting to synthetic

What are the steps I need to take to convert to fully synthetic oil? Do I need to flush out my engine first?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-22-2006
jtslmn720's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent State, Kent Ohio
Posts: 7,367
you should be able to just add it and be done with it...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-22-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
ya just change it
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2006
RangerEdgeO2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 247
Drain old oil, put new oil in, put new filter on, done.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-22-2006
buzzair's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Posts: 2,341
Sweet...next change will be synthetic. thanks guys
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-08-2006
xXcecinestpasXx's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin/Houston,TX
Posts: 118
After you used synthetic you need to always use it.. even thought it is expensive.. so what kind did you used bud? I'm running with Castrol Synthetic
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-2006
buzzair's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: White Plains, NY
Posts: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXcecinestpasXx
After you used synthetic you need to always use it.. even thought it is expensive.. so what kind did you used bud? I'm running with Castrol Synthetic
Not time to change it yet, but next time I'm probably gonna go Mobil synthetic.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-09-2006
RangerEdgeO2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 247
That's a common myth.

You can switch back to dino oil any time you want but the question is, why would you want to?

Longer drain intervals, better for the engine, saves money (I change my oil once or twice a year...vs every 2-3 months with dino oil), less polluting, you can't beat it.

If you go with mobil 1 extended performance oil (15k miles or 1 year), also use a mobil 1 oil filter.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-09-2006
GrafixGuy's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 8,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEdgeO2
That's a common myth.

You can switch back to dino oil any time you want but the question is, why would you want to?

Longer drain intervals, better for the engine, saves money (I change my oil once or twice a year...vs every 2-3 months with dino oil), less polluting, you can't beat it.

If you go with mobil 1 extended performance oil (15k miles or 1 year), also use a mobil 1 oil filter.
LOL i did that I'm back on the old school 10W-30 and its fine...alot cheaper
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-10-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: East Helena, Montana
Posts: 166
"After you used synthetic you need to always use it.. even thought it is expensive."

Not true. I don't know where this idea comes from. None of the oil experts agrees with it. You can switch back and forth between the two as often as you want. And you can mix the two together, in any proportion.

I'm on my second 10,000 mi. run of Mobil 1. I use a Pure One oil filter.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-10-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 688
Depending on how many miles you have on the truck, you might want to do a "short run" with the Mobil 1 - say 2,500 miles. Fully synthetic oil has a very high detergent quality and is bound to loosen something up. Or, if you feel that for some reason your engine could be really dirty, you could use Auto RX before the conversion. I made the switch at 63,000 - did a 2000 mile run, and have been going 5000 between changes using Mobil 1 5w-30 and a Motorcraft Fl 820s filter (Purolator Premium body with Pure One internals, but much cheaper!).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-10-2006
l2en's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 4,521
Every vehicle I've owned, I "weened" it onto synthetic. I did at least one syn blend oil change, my truck I did twice, between dino and fully syn. Maybe it's just all in my head...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-10-2006
RangerEdgeO2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2en
Every vehicle I've owned, I "weened" it onto synthetic. I did at least one syn blend oil change, my truck I did twice, between dino and fully syn. Maybe it's just all in my head...
It is...lol

Quote:
Depending on how many miles you have on the truck, you might want to do a "short run" with the Mobil 1 - say 2,500 miles. Fully synthetic oil has a very high detergent quality and is bound to loosen something up. Or, if you feel that for some reason your engine could be really dirty, you could use Auto RX before the conversion.
That is very true! One more reason to start using synthetic right after the "break in period" of the engine. I changed my Mom's Marquis over from Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w30 to Mobil 1 5w30 at 53k miles with no issues. 99% of the people that will have problems with leaks are people that neglect their vehicles in the maintenance department.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switched to synthetic in the rear end wanted Drivetrain Tech 7 08-21-2005 09:43 PM
Synthetic Engine Oil vansnxtweek 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 30 08-10-2005 10:20 AM
What synthetic winch line are you running? sawred Ranger Products, Company, & Member Reviews 8 07-19-2005 09:13 PM
Changed to Amsoil Synthetic ATF n3elz Drivetrain Tech 14 11-11-2004 09:59 AM
Synthetic: Is it worth it? fireradio General Ford Ranger Discussion 22 10-27-2004 02:54 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:05 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.