I'm In Desperate Need Of Help! - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-11-2006
ericcarney1's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ft. Rucker, Alabama
Posts: 70
I'm In Desperate Need Of Help!

Here is my dilema. This morning I was driving the Ranger and I pulled up to a stoplight and my truck stalled out. The battery light was on and the engine was turning but not over. After waiting about a half hour I tried starting it and it fired right up. I drove it for a for the rest of the day and everything was cool but again I pulled to a stop and it stalled out again. Now it will not start at all. We tried to give it a jump but no luck. I think it maybe the altrenator but to tow truck driver said he thinks its the distrbuter. I need to fix this ASAP. Its my only mode of transportation. Its a 2005 4.0. Only has 19,000 miles. Never had a problem before. Has this ever happened to anyone? Any thoughts on what it might be. Please help me.

P.S. I just now moved to the Netherlands and the nearest Ford dealer is in Germany so thats out of the question. Also very hard to get parts out here for US cars.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-11-2006
sawred's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 580
Arent these trucks distributorless??

Anyway, I was having some issues but no battery light. My alt, batt and starter all came up good the 3x they were tested. So far what seems to have fixed it was it was low on R-134. So the one mech recharged it and the compressor began to function normally as did the truck. I have an E-fan so every time the compressor would kick on so would the e-fan and the compressor was constantly kicking on and probably sucking out my power.

Sorry, can't think of much else. Do they have a place where they will test your alternator? But then again, jumping it did no good... That happened to me too... it was frustrating.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2006
ericcarney1's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ft. Rucker, Alabama
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawred
Arent these trucks distributorless??

Anyway, I was having some issues but no battery light. My alt, batt and starter all came up good the 3x they were tested. So far what seems to have fixed it was it was low on R-134. So the one mech recharged it and the compressor began to function normally as did the truck. I have an E-fan so every time the compressor would kick on so would the e-fan and the compressor was constantly kicking on and probably sucking out my power.

Sorry, can't think of much else. Do they have a place where they will test your alternator? But then again, jumping it did no good... That happened to me too... it was frustrating.
Yeah there are places to get it checked but some of these dutch people I cant trust them as far as I can throw them. Also its hard to comnicate with them because of the language barrier.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-11-2006
ericcarney1's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ft. Rucker, Alabama
Posts: 70
Bump
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2006
a311fanam's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Westerly, RI
Posts: 2,006
your trucks got a warranty, use it, let them figure it out
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
ive had random dying before and it turned out to be a computer problem. they put some "updates" on it and it hasnt done it since.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2006
ericcarney1's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ft. Rucker, Alabama
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by a311fanam
your trucks got a warranty, use it, let them figure it out
Dont really think my warranty is covered over here. Mainly because I took it out of country. Plus they dont work on US cars. Almost all the cars are mostly diesel over here.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-11-2006
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 175
well that could be a problem, especially if the problem with your truck is like what Gil said
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-11-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,835
Locate the Inertia Fuel Shutoff switch. Its location is shown on page 161 of your owner's manual or online:
http://www.genuineservice.com/genuin...efault?page=E4
Try resetting it and check to make sure the connector is clicked on tight. Two cars owned by members of my family have died on the road - one because of a defective IFS switch, the other because the IFS connector was never seated properly at the factory. Both had intermittent starting.

Just for clarification: it sounds like the engine is being turned over by the starter but it will not run. Is that correct?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-12-2006
ericcarney1's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ft. Rucker, Alabama
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
Locate the Inertia Fuel Shutoff switch. Its location is shown on page 161 of your owner's manual or online:
http://www.genuineservice.com/genuin...efault?page=E4
Try resetting it and check to make sure the connector is clicked on tight. Two cars owned by members of my family have died on the road - one because of a defective IFS switch, the other because the IFS connector was never seated properly at the factory. Both had intermittent starting.

Just for clarification: it sounds like the engine is being turned over by the starter but it will not run. Is that correct?
Yes That is pretty much what it sounds like and I looked at the fuel shut of switch and that seems fine. Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-12-2006
sawred's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 580
FYI: The FUEL PUMP SHUT-OFF SWITCH was located on pp. 150-151 in my 03 owner's manual. Not sure if you had a typo or if it's just on a different page.

But wasn't aware of that... learn something new everyday. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-12-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawred
FYI: The FUEL PUMP SHUT-OFF SWITCH was located on pp. 150-151 in my 03 owner's manual. Not sure if you had a typo or if it's just on a different page.
It is on a different page in the 2005 O/M.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-12-2006
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcarney1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
Just for clarification: it sounds like the engine is being turned over by the starter but it will not run. Is that correct?
Yes That is pretty much what it sounds like and I looked at the fuel shut of switch and that seems fine. Any other ideas?
So, it sounds like the problem is not related to the battery, battery cables, alternator or starter.

Also, since you haven't mentioned it, I would guess that there has been no Check Engine Light while the engine was running, correct?

If there has been a CEL (or even if there hasn't), get someone to check for trouble codes (DTCs). I'm fairly sure that the European code readers can access any powertrain codes stored in your PCM. Be sure to get the exact alphanumeric code (Pxxxx) and post it here.

If that doesn't turn anything up, I would go to basics and look for fuel and spark.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-12-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by a311fanam
your trucks got a warranty, use it, let them figure it out
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcarney1
P.S. I just now moved to the Netherlands and the nearest Ford dealer is in Germany so thats out of the question. Also very hard to get parts out here for US cars.

read next time...

honistly i have no clue what could be doing it sounds really odd. i would say resetting the computer by unpluging the battery for a little while idk if that would help at all. how is the gas quality over there compared to US wonder if that could be a problem. do you hear the fuel pump kicking on when you try to start it and it doesnt fire?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-18-2006
Hefavitzen's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 138
Eric, did you get your problem fixed?!??!?!??!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desperate for advice on P0401 EGR code aewing General Technical & Electrical 3 10-23-2014 08:54 PM
Help with PATS. Desperate. Windyvanuatu General Technical & Electrical 0 11-01-2013 09:02 PM
so i need a sub but i need help finding one... DeMar17 Audio & Video Tech 8 06-10-2009 07:45 AM
NEED HELP!!! need to install new Cd player 01edgeMan Audio & Video Tech 6 01-11-2009 07:28 PM
** Need desperate help - Please!! ** Jp7 General Ford Ranger Discussion 1 03-31-2008 06:59 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:19 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.