need help to clean throttle body - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-08-2007
lilk67's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elko,NV
Posts: 47
need help to clean throttle body

Can someone explain to me how to clean the throttle body and how to take off the parts. Can you also show pictures please. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-08-2007
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilk67
Can someone explain to me how to clean the throttle body and how to take off the parts. Can you also show pictures please. Thanks
Do not succumb to the temptation to remove the black sealant on the throttle bore and plate. It is there for a reason.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-08-2007
ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Posts: 4,502
is that a joke bob? cause i clean mine monthly
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-08-2007
lilk67's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elko,NV
Posts: 47
to clean the throttle body. Well my rpms have been staying up for four secongd or so when i shift. I was told to change out the (IAC) valve and someone said on orr forum to clean out the throttle body portion. So i think that what i was going to do. Are they suppose to be cleaned out after so long?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-08-2007
lilk67's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elko,NV
Posts: 47
So can someone show me pics on how to do it and explain it to me please. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-08-2007
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilk67
to clean the throttle body. Well my rpms have been staying up for four secongd or so when i shift. I was told to change out the (IAC) valve and someone said on orr forum to clean out the throttle body portion. So i think that what i was going to do. Are they suppose to be cleaned out after so long?
The RPM hang is most likely due to the IAC sticking, a vacuum leak or a TPS sensor with the voltage out of spec.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger
is that a joke bob? cause i clean mine monthly
No joke. You can clean it but leave the factory sealant alone.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-08-2007
lilk67's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elko,NV
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
The RPM hang is most likely due to the IAC sticking, a vacuum leak or a TPS sensor with the voltage out of spec.


No joke. You can clean it but leave the factory sealant alone.
How do i find out if theres a vacuum leak, or a TPS sensor with the voltage out of spec.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-12-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southold, NY
Posts: 25
I sprayed mine with a silicone lubricant and it eliminated most of the problem. My throttle was sticking just off idle from day 1 on a 2.3 duratec. Take the cover off the throttle body (two screws), pop off the cable and remove the four screws holding the throttle body. You can then pull the air intake away far enough to access the throttle bore and plate. You can only access one side, but you can clean and lubricate it from there. Whole job took about 15 minutes. I have never needed to do this kind of maintenance on any other vehicle I have ever owned and I have owned plenty.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 886
First use a screwdriver or 8 mm socket to remove the the air tube going from the air box to your throttle body, you can just remove it at the throttle body end.




Next hold the throttle open with one hand and spray some throttle body cleaner into the throttle body / upper intake

Closed:


Push towards truck to open:



As you can see the you can now spray directly into the throttle body while you hold the throttle back.

Get some Combustion chamber cleaner aka Throttle Body / Intake manifold Carb Cleaner.

I use Mopar brand as its very effective and sprays very well for easy use..



Use a whole can if you want to, You might have to start up your truck a few times to get it to even fire up. It might even run rough for a few mins and smoke too...

Last edited by IR0NS1N; 03-12-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-13-2007
htvfd460stx's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Newton nj
Posts: 249
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are Sensors in there that WILL get rewened. TAKE THE TB OFF WHEN CLEANING IT!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-13-2007
lilk67's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elko,NV
Posts: 47
thanks for the info, but i don't think im going to do that stuff right now until it gets back from the dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-13-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by htvfd460stx
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are Sensors in there that WILL get rewened. TAKE THE TB OFF WHEN CLEANING IT!!!
LOL wtf? what sensors are in the intake that get damaged? Umm it cleans the TPS and anything else in your throttle body. If you take off your TB when you clean it you should look into what actually is happening. Its taking all the carbin build up along the walls of the TB and intake manifolds and cleaning it off. It does not hurt anything at all.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-14-2007
htvfd460stx's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Newton nj
Posts: 249
Have you replaced the gaskets on the intake plenum before? Or even just take the plenum out? All of the vacume lines go to differentplaces for different reasons. Quite a few of them are sensors. the others are going to mechanical functions.
Carb cleaners and brake cleaners and the sort will rewen gaskets and certain sensors.
Besides his is a 99 not 04.
His has an EGR backpressure transducer, ERG solinoid and the other stuff too. I am not sure if it has a DPFEGR in it though. I think its in the newer ones.

And where does that carbon go????? Right to your valves and pistons then slightly recycled threw the EGR!!! Double and triple burned carbon. It builds up and creates the building block for "Gunk". but it all slides down and puddles upp then dries out and at the very worst WOT its sucked threw the manifold and then into the heads and gets your valve seals and piston rings coverd and build up occurs. Then comes sligt burring and then detonation of the part.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-14-2007
lilk67's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elko,NV
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by htvfd460stx
Have you replaced the gaskets on the intake plenum before? Or even just take the plenum out? All of the vacume lines go to differentplaces for different reasons. Quite a few of them are sensors. the others are going to mechanical functions.
Carb cleaners and brake cleaners and the sort will rewen gaskets and certain sensors.
Besides his is a 99 not 04.
His has an EGR backpressure transducer, ERG solinoid and the other stuff too. I am not sure if it has a DPFEGR in it though. I think its in the newer ones.

And where does that carbon go????? Right to your valves and pistons then slightly recycled threw the EGR!!! Double and triple burned carbon. It builds up and creates the building block for "Gunk". but it all slides down and puddles upp then dries out and at the very worst WOT its sucked threw the manifold and then into the heads and gets your valve seals and piston rings coverd and build up occurs. Then comes sligt burring and then detonation of the part.
ya mine has one of those. DPFEGR sensors in it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-15-2007
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilk67
ya mine has one of those. DPFEGR sensors in it.
If you are looking at the EGR system as the cause for the hanging RPM, don't bother. There is nothing there that can raise the RPM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-15-2007
Marcaronio's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 560
Does anyone know if there is any truth to what the guy who doesn't know how to spell "ruin" or "through" said?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-15-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcaronio
Does anyone know if there is any truth to what the guy who doesn't know how to spell "ruin" or "through" said?
I was confused by rewen it took me a minute to realize what he was trying to say.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-15-2007
htvfd460stx's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Newton nj
Posts: 249
where is the spell checker?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throttle cable on throttle body, how do i remove? insistent 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 3 08-11-2014 03:37 PM
How To: Clean Throttle body 99offroadrngr How-To & DIY Submissions 2 05-12-2014 10:46 PM
Everyone should clean their throttle body FireRanger General Ford Ranger Discussion 75 04-28-2010 02:18 PM
Two clean, too clean DSG's. winks Snapshots 21 08-03-2009 09:36 PM
Throttle body/ Throttle Body Spacer??? dangelj316 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 34 11-17-2007 01:41 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:34 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.