Wiring for Third Light on Leer Cap and dome light - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-10-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Kingston, ON
Posts: 3
Wiring for Third Light on Leer Cap and dome light

Hey guys,

Have a 2010 Ranger Sport 4x4, 4.0...
Just got a used Leer cap, so installed myself.

Has the dome light (with a built in switch) and the rear brake light mounted against the interior of the glass. All wires are there, but obviously stops at the plug where I need to connect to my brake lights for 3rd light and to a power source for my dome.

First off, the brake light. From reading I've done, I cannot just tap into the trailer brake lights or onto my factory taillights, as my 3rd will blink when I activate the turn signals. Also from my reading, many say that there is a "green wire" located either the connector near my spare tire or under the hood off the master cylinder that is factory installed, but capped and is strictly for a third light. I can't find this, even after 2 hours of frustrated searching.
Does the 2010 Rangers even have this, or was this discontinued?
Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Secondly, I need power for the dome light. Seems simple enough...run a wire up to the battery, including an inline fuse.

Any other ideas rather than running a wire the whole way up?

Much appreciated! Thanks RFers!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-10-2015
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,573
Yes, that's true about high brake light flashing with the 1 bulb rear light system.

On the Brake pedal switch you will find a Violet/white stripe wire, this wire powers the 3rd brake light at the top rear of the cab, you need to splice to that and I would add a 5amp inline fuse since the wire will be quite long and under the truck.

For the rear Dome light you really want to power that from a Battery Saver relay source.
Battery Saver Relay cuts power to most system after 20-30minutes of key off/out and doors being closed, so it does what it says, "saves the battery" if you leave something on.
I don't have a battery saver relay in my '94 and I have left my rear dome light on before, engine barely started the next morning, lol.

Fuse #11 or Fuse #13 in Smart Junction box are both for interior lights.
Smart Junction Box is in passenger side kick panel.
Glove box light would also be a source, I believe it has power all the time not just with key on, and it would for sure be one of the things battery saver relay would cut power to.
Fuse this wire as well

Don't know about the Green wire?

And use a connector at the bed level so you can take canopy off, remember to cover/seal that connector is it can short or be damaged by weather when canopy is off

Last edited by RonD; 12-10-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-10-2015
TheArcticWolf1911's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 1,667
Something you could do is take your third brake light off and add a wire into the brake light's hot lead. Run that wire down, out and to the new one. I'd consider that to be more direct.

As for the dome, if you don't have a plan, I'd have a hot lead from either one of the cigar sockets or on it's own inline fuse from the battery but with a relay controlled by the battery saver circuit so if you forget about it, the relay will turn off after 40 minutes or so.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-12-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Kingston, ON
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
Yes, that's true about high brake light flashing with the 1 bulb rear light system.

On the Brake pedal switch you will find a Violet/white stripe wire, this wire powers the 3rd brake light at the top rear of the cab, you need to splice to that and I would add a 5amp inline fuse since the wire will be quite long and under the truck.

For the rear Dome light you really want to power that from a Battery Saver relay source.
Battery Saver Relay cuts power to most system after 20-30minutes of key off/out and doors being closed, so it does what it says, "saves the battery" if you leave something on.
I don't have a battery saver relay in my '94 and I have left my rear dome light on before, engine barely started the next morning, lol.

Fuse #11 or Fuse #13 in Smart Junction box are both for interior lights.
Smart Junction Box is in passenger side kick panel.
Glove box light would also be a source, I believe it has power all the time not just with key on, and it would for sure be one of the things battery saver relay would cut power to.
Fuse this wire as well

Don't know about the Green wire?

And use a connector at the bed level so you can take canopy off, remember to cover/seal that connector is it can short or be damaged by weather when canopy is off
Thanks for the advice, RonD. Curious about the violet-white wire off the brake switch. I have found it but wonder if this is the best place to splice to the wire, or does the wire eun somewhere in the truck and is capped, or is powering something else? Where would you recommend I tap into this?
Will update over the weekend.
Again, much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-12-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Kingston, ON
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArcticWolf1911 View Post
Something you could do is take your third brake light off and add a wire into the brake light's hot lead. Run that wire down, out and to the new one. I'd consider that to be more direct.

As for the dome, if you don't have a plan, I'd have a hot lead from either one of the cigar sockets or on it's own inline fuse from the battery but with a relay controlled by the battery saver circuit so if you forget about it, the relay will turn off after 40 minutes or so.
I did consider tapping into the existing 3rd light as well. This is still on the table, trying to figure out which approach is both easiest and longest lasting.
Thanks for the ideas!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-12-2015
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoVerv83 View Post
Thanks for the advice, RonD. Curious about the violet-white wire off the brake switch. I have found it but wonder if this is the best place to splice to the wire, or does the wire eun somewhere in the truck and is capped, or is powering something else? Where would you recommend I tap into this?
Will update over the weekend.
Again, much appreciated.
violet-white wire runs directly to 3rd brake light, it is just the easiest place to find it and tap it, at the switch.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-12-2015
RLong31's Avatar
The Ban Hammer
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monrovia, IN
Posts: 2,629
I installed aftermarket tail lights in my truck a long time ago.. so basically I have a "brake only" bulb.. the standard "brake/turn" bulb and the reverse lights in the rear.

Point being.. I had to tap into the wire for my 3rd brake light to get that extra dedicated "brake only" bulb to work on my truck. You CAN tap into at the 3rd brake light, but that's a pain in the *** honestly. I tapped into mine under the driver's seat and drilled a hole and put a grommet in there to run the wire out. Years later I found out there are already rubber grommets on the floor in several spots, if pull back your flooring you can find them under the seat also.

As for the dome light, easiest way is to run a wire from the battery with an in-line fuse.. you can tap into in the cab, but you're gonna have to get it out of the cab one way or another.

Also, how I did it on my F250, I found some 3 wire plugs, as my camper shell had a 3 wire plug on it, and i added one to the truck bed, so I can easily unplug it and remove it if need be. I think for that.. and you MIGHT be able to do it on yours.. is tap into your trailer light wiring harness (might not work with the 4 wire plug, but will with a 7 wire plug). Sometimes you have a brake wire (blue I think?) you can tap into.. and one is a power accessory wire you can tap into for the dome.. but it's not hot all the time, just key-on hot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Leer Truck Cap / Carpet kit - So Ca STranger 3rd Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 4 03-24-2011 02:07 PM
Leer cap glass PAShooter Exterior Semi-Tech 9 01-08-2011 02:47 AM
Leer cap/shell/camper top build up SteelDirigible Exterior Semi-Tech 0 07-04-2010 05:24 PM
For Sale: LEER TRUCK CAP WHITE FIBERGLASS vettman Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 24 11-02-2009 12:34 PM
WTB: A.R.E. or Leer truck cap/PA. RANGER1974 Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 11 06-08-2009 12:07 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.