Tonight's boredom project - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Interior Semi-Tech General discussion of interior for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-04-2012
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
Thread Starter
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Tonight's boredom project

stripping the rubber coating off of an explorer bezel. some is already bubbling up which is awesome. saves the headache of sanding lol

Attached Thumbnails
Tonight's boredom project-17ff4ab8.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-04-2012
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Fun!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-04-2012
Taylor's Avatar
Ive been dubbed....an old volk
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 7,110
I need to do this to my stock bezel. I can reach over and peel the stuff right off lol.

A good excuse for a new bezel? Maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-04-2012
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
Thread Starter
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
I need to do this to my stock bezel. I can reach over and peel the stuff right off lol.

A good excuse for a new bezel? Maybe.
this one is still being lame. I need to take steel wool to it to get this stuff off with the brake fluid
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-04-2012
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
don't make the mistake i made...citri-strip
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-04-2012
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
Thread Starter
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RangerDave View Post
don't make the mistake i made...citri-strip
lol i don't have any anyway
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-04-2012
<TX>TORKiT's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,551
What a pain in the butt. Have fun.

Attached Thumbnails
Tonight's boredom project-interior-sand.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-04-2012
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
Thread Starter
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by <TX>TORKiT View Post
What a pain in the butt. Have fun.

lol yeah it sucks. letting it sit with a coat of fluid on it over night. the top part of it is done and so is the part where the radio goes but the rest is still holding up strong. worse comes to worse, ill take the pressure washer to it and take care of it in minutes
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-04-2012
<TX>TORKiT's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,551
I can start calling you easy money now. I took my time and used brake parts cleaner to eat the rubber and it turned out real nice after several primer coats sanded off.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-05-2012
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
I'd have taken it to work and sandblasted it.

What, Not everyone has a sand blaster?
Tough luck.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-05-2012
Mcleary316's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lawrence, Kansas
Posts: 2,322
Im doing this same thing right now. It blows
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-05-2012
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
Thread Starter
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
I'd have taken it to work and sandblasted it.

What, Not everyone has a sand blaster?
Tough luck.
even with fine grit slag i bet it would mess up the plastic
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-05-2012
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99offroadrngr View Post
even with fine grit slag i bet it would mess up the plastic
We've got Baking Soda and Plastic media.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-05-2012
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
Thread Starter
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
We've got Baking Soda and Plastic media.
id be scared to do it lol. 80% of it is stripped. just threw another coat on and it should be done tomorrow
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-05-2012
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99offroadrngr View Post
id be scared to do it lol. 80% of it is stripped. just threw another coat on and it should be done tomorrow
Soda blasting is awesome. I just did it a few days ago to test it out. You can take a total painted piece clear coat and all, blast it from paint to primer to bare metal.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-05-2012
Taylor's Avatar
Ive been dubbed....an old volk
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 7,110
Just set it on fire. It will take all of the coating off.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-05-2012
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
Is it just exploder ones that have that or do danger ones too? I notice mine has a grey paint. It's chipped near the station buttons so I'm not worried about doing anything about it. One day I'll paint it satin black.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-05-2012
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
Thread Starter
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
Soda blasting is awesome. I just did it a few days ago to test it out. You can take a total painted piece clear coat and all, blast it from paint to primer to bare metal.
yeah my friend takes his wheels to get soda blasted every year. changes the color of the centers (3 piece wheel) every year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Just set it on fire. It will take all of the coating off.
you can do that to your own man ill pass lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
Is it just exploder ones that have that or do danger ones too? I notice mine has a grey paint. It's chipped near the station buttons so I'm not worried about doing anything about it. One day I'll paint it satin black.
all of em have it unfortunately
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-05-2012
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
So for me to properly do mine I would have to strip it down? Could I just sand down where it's scratched/worn and prime and paint?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-05-2012
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
Thread Starter
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
So for me to properly do mine I would have to strip it down? Could I just sand down where it's scratched/worn and prime and paint?
I don't know if it will come out the same because on yours its the rubberized silver/gray paint. The last thing you want to do is sand it lol it will take forever! I did that to one of my previous ones it it was the worst.

Buggman told me the brake fluid trick
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-06-2012
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99offroadrngr View Post
I don't know if it will come out the same because on yours its the rubberized silver/gray paint. The last thing you want to do is sand it lol it will take forever! I did that to one of my previous ones it it was the worst.

Buggman told me the brake fluid trick
You didn't know brake fluid ate rubber?
You know Gasoline eats Silicone, right?
Power steering fluid does a decent job removing junk too.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-06-2012
Taylor's Avatar
Ive been dubbed....an old volk
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 7,110
Right now, I can Peel mine off lol.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-06-2012
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
Thread Starter
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
You didn't know brake fluid ate rubber?
You know Gasoline eats Silicone, right?
Power steering fluid does a decent job removing junk too.
I would of thought brake fluid ate the bezel and i was right. some of the little "pins" by where the switches go have fallen off lol. Buggman also told me one of his bezels shattered into pieces after leaving the fluid on too long. can i try brake fluid on your truck? i heard its good to polish with too lol
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-06-2012
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
Thread Starter
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Right now, I can Peel mine off lol.
lol do it
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-06-2012
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99offroadrngr View Post
I would of thought brake fluid ate the bezel and i was right. some of the little "pins" by where the switches go have fallen off lol. Buggman also told me one of his bezels shattered into pieces after leaving the fluid on too long. can i try brake fluid on your truck? i heard its good to polish with too lol
Lol. Can't make it any worse.
I don't think i've ever tried brake fluid on something with a clear coat.
Do it on that Camry you got first, then lemme know.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Few boredom pictures. yellow_edge Snapshots 5 05-18-2009 02:41 PM
haha, boredom mhughes165 General Ford Ranger Discussion 2 08-13-2008 09:32 AM
a boredom pic REUBER General Ford Ranger Discussion 8 01-22-2007 09:16 AM
Tonight's Project Rooks Exterior Semi-Tech 3 01-18-2007 07:57 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:25 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.