KY Rangers - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Meets, Greets, & Events Schedule a meet, start a club, or attending a show? General discussion of information pertaining to meet and greets and events.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 05-30-2011
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
TTT
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-30-2011
SteelDirigible's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,666
I can wire things as long as its not too complicated... I wouldnt call myself an electrical guru but I've wired up lights before.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-30-2011
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDirigible View Post
looks like lots of fun. my concern is how my basically stock 06 4x4 would do on the places you go. any light trails i could make all right? i'm plannin on getting a new set of rubbers for offroading soon, but other than that I am on stock suspension.
you'd be surprised where you can take a stock ranger. i'm not a pro and babied it at an off road park. but i can't wait to go back w/ new tires and a small lift.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-30-2011
SteelDirigible's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,666
yeah i havent been stuck yet. got close a few times. i just dont want to try any rock crawling in a stock one haha.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-30-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Madisonville, KY
Posts: 159
hey, we are planning a big G2G at Turkey Bay June 10th-12th.....

we will be camping in the OHV park, but there are KY State Park Lodges near by for the not so "Outdoorsy" type

as for the trails, there are plenty that stock can do....or ride with someone on some of the harder trails.....

bring your Mountain Bikes, Canoes, and Fishing gear....we will be doing some of that as well

so far we have people from IN, IL, TN, OH, and of course KY....

l8r, John
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-05-2011
acemavrick's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ky
Posts: 663
where is this att??? i have some decent paint and body and wiring experance :) thank u wyotech w0000t!! pm for phone number im down for the cause any weekend and michael r u ALWAYS driving on mulberry aka 62 by olymco say about 4 430ish? if so STOP in say hi haha i keep seein a truck identical to urs drive by
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-05-2011
SteelDirigible's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,666
I get off work at 4:30 so I'd say that's me haha. I'm not co pletely sure where you're talking about though haha remember I'm new to these parts. I don't know what olymco is sounds like a gas station but I'll keep an eye out. Got some stuff to do tomorrow afternoon though.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-06-2011
acemavrick's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ky
Posts: 663
where u work at?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-06-2011
SteelDirigible's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,666
altec
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-07-2011
acemavrick's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ky
Posts: 663
altec is FAIL!! they treat there people like pooooooooooooo haha if u drive by tomorrow stop in and bs a little w me
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-07-2011
SteelDirigible's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,666
well they filled a freezer with popsicles for us today. so i'd have to disagree with you there haha.

i actually had noticed your ranger there haha i just never thought about what that place was. it seems like I see a lot of rangers in etown though, seems like they are everywhere.

i wont make any promises haha depending how my day does but i might stop in.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-03-2011
acemavrick's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ky
Posts: 663
lol yea thats my pile of bolts no one here but 2 people have seen pix of it lol theres a funny story that goes along with y it looks like it does now
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-04-2011
SteelDirigible's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,666
haha please share!

oh anyone interested in a meet? several people express interest but its hard to nail down any commitments.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-04-2011
acemavrick's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ky
Posts: 663
im down for the cause anyweekend....
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-28-2011
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by acemavrick View Post
where is this att??? i have some decent paint and body and wiring experance :) thank u wyotech w0000t!! pm for phone number im down for the cause any weekend and michael r u ALWAYS driving on mulberry aka 62 by olymco say about 4 430ish? if so STOP in say hi haha i keep seein a truck identical to urs drive by
Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been on in awhile but I've been remodeling my kitchen and I was working like 16 hour days. It was a major PITA but anyways.I took it to the detail shop today and owner had never seen such a sh**y pain job in his entire life and insisted that I take the painter to small claims court. He told me that he doesn't do any wet sanding anymore because it takes so much time and it's a lot of trouble. He pointed out some fish eyes in the paint job too.(I never knew what this was until he pointed it out.) I think I'm just going to buy a
dual-action sander and wet sand my truck with some 1500 grit sandpaper and then some 2000 grit. The truck might have to be repainted, so I don't really have much to loose. I guess at this point the body of my truck is just a big learning tool.

Last edited by BlackRanger04; 07-29-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-11-2011
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
If I didn't know any better, I'd say I've been shut out from social or commercial participation, ostracized and or boycotted aka blackballed all because I took a stand against someone that put a cheap lookin orange peel texture all over my Ranger. Damn, talk about social inequality.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-11-2011
Josh40601's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 376
well.... you could just bring it to Frankfort and have my dad and i fix it for ya....

Ron and Josh's Hotrod Shop

I'll be down to meet any of youins once i get back (T-38 days bitches!)
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-11-2011
SteelDirigible's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,666
brian, rich (acemavrick) isn't on r-f anymore. fyi. i'm still here though.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-11-2011
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDirigible View Post
brian, rich (acemavrick) isn't on r-f anymore. fyi. i'm still here though.
Well, I'm glad you're still here Michael but what happened to Rich (Acemavrick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh40601 View Post
well.... you could just bring it to Frankfort and have my dad and i fix it for ya....

Ron and Josh's Hotrod Shop

I'll be down to meet any of youins once i get back (T-38 days bitches!)
Hey Josh,

Thanks for the offer, but I went ahead and wet sanded the 80% of the truck with 1500 grit(That was one hell of a job) then I took it to a really good detail shop in E-town. Everyone kept wanting to know who painted the truck and they couldn't believe how bad the orange peel was. I hope they're able to get things ironed out. I'll post some before and after pictures when they get done with it.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-11-2011
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
I don't really think its necessary to keep bashing John by saying 'everyone couldn't believe how bad the paint job was'.

You need to grow up dude. I'm not on his side or yours in the situation but you get what you paid for. John hooked you up for a small fraction of what a shop would and you wanted it to be perfect. So you need to come back to the real world and get with it.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-11-2011
Josh40601's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 376
All vehicles have orange peel after a fresh paint job. If you don't wet sand and buff it out, it will always be there. Now "fisheyes" is a different story. It means there was some type of chemical close to where the truck was being prepped that the paint didn't like. For instance, armorall in the bottle within about 20 feet or so away from where the prep work is being performed will cause fisheyes. It's a lot more common than one would expect, but you would usually fix it before giving it back to the customer. The way we fixed it was sand it back down, reprep the area, and repaint it. Orange peel just requires buffing and wetsanding. If he cut you a deal, he probably didn't wetsand and buff it. I know we wouldn't. That's easily a 2-6 hour job depending on what car or how bad it is and it is something no body shop likes to do. If you paid the full amount, I'm sure the orange peel would be gone. Now I'm not taking anyones side, as I have no idea what happened. Just telling you from experience what causes the issues and so forth
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-11-2011
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98liftedranger View Post
I don't really think its necessary to keep bashing John by saying 'everyone couldn't believe how bad the paint job was'.

You need to grow up dude. I'm not on his side or yours in the situation but you get what you paid for. John hooked you up for a small fraction of what a shop would and you wanted it to be perfect. So you need to come back to the real world and get with it.
No, you need to grow up DUDE and quit taking up for the bad guy. John didn't hook me up, he gave me a cheap paint job and left me alot of work and BTW ... this is a Kentucky thread so stay out.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-11-2011
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh40601 View Post
All vehicles have orange peel after a fresh paint job. If you don't wet sand and buff it out, it will always be there. Now "fisheyes" is a different story. It means there was some type of chemical close to where the truck was being prepped that the paint didn't like. For instance, armorall in the bottle within about 20 feet or so away from where the prep work is being performed will cause fisheyes. It's a lot more common than one would expect, but you would usually fix it before giving it back to the customer. The way we fixed it was sand it back down, reprep the area, and repaint it. Orange peel just requires buffing and wetsanding. If he cut you a deal, he probably didn't wetsand and buff it. I know we wouldn't. That's easily a 2-6 hour job depending on what car or how bad it is and it is something no body shop likes to do. If you paid the full amount, I'm sure the orange peel would be gone. Now I'm not taking anyones side, as I have no idea what happened. Just telling you from experience what causes the issues and so forth
Hey Josh,

You would actually have to see the paint job in person to know what was done to my truck. We're not talking about orange peel like you would see on a factory paint job or even a "garage paint job" this was like a Orange peel texture (very rough). It took a lot of force to take remove the top layer of clear with a sanding block.
There was also a lot of dirt in the clear coat too. I was able to remove most of the dirt by wet sanding (Thank God). The guy at the detail shop told me that it wasn't caused by putting too much clear on. He said that his paint gun was set wrong or he didn't have enough air presure to push the clear out of the gun right. I've leaned so much from this ... I know that some painters put extra clear on so they can cut and buff, but the painter is suppost to do that not the customer.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-11-2011
Josh40601's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 376
Like I said, I'm not taking up for anyone. I am also not referring directly to your issue, just was putting the info out there. Like I said, every person we've "hooked up" didn't get a cut and buff. When I got my Camaro painted, I didn't get a cut and buff but I got a damn good price. People who want the c/b are going to pay more. We charge 300 extra just for that. The place that painted my Camaro contracted out to a place that charged 600 for it. IMHO, if the paint job was less than 2 grand, there is going to be some dirt and peel in it. No fisheyes though. Fisheyes are bad for business. I paid 2600 out here to fix the key job and repaint my Camaro black, and still had to cut and buff it myself. The original quote was for 3400. Now that is out here. My dad painted a truck for one of his buddy's for cost of materials, but he was there helping prep, and finish the job. Again, I don't know what you paid, I don't know if he cut you deal, I don't know if he slacked off and just didn't give a ****. I wasn't there. Just letting you know from dealing with the same thing personally, on how some shops work. You pay for a premium paint job, you get a premium paint job. You pay for a cheap paint job, it's going to require a little work to get it to back to factory look. You understand what I'm saying buddy?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-12-2011
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh40601 View Post
Like I said, I'm not taking up for anyone. I am also not referring directly to your issue, just was putting the info out there. Like I said, every person we've "hooked up" didn't get a cut and buff. When I got my Camaro painted, I didn't get a cut and buff but I got a damn good price. People who want the c/b are going to pay more. We charge 300 extra just for that. The place that painted my Camaro contracted out to a place that charged 600 for it. IMHO, if the paint job was less than 2 grand, there is going to be some dirt and peel in it. No fisheyes though. Fisheyes are bad for business. I paid 2600 out here to fix the key job and repaint my Camaro black, and still had to cut and buff it myself. The original quote was for 3400. Now that is out here. My dad painted a truck for one of his buddy's for cost of materials, but he was there helping prep, and finish the job. Again, I don't know what you paid, I don't know if he cut you deal, I don't know if he slacked off and just didn't give a ****. I wasn't there. Just letting you know from dealing with the same thing personally, on how some shops work. You pay for a premium paint job, you get a premium paint job. You pay for a cheap paint job, it's going to require a little work to get it to back to factory look. You understand what I'm saying buddy?
Yes, I totally understand what you're saying. I guess I can chalk this up to ignorance.
I wish I would have talked to you before I got my truck painted. Before I got the "less than par" paint job I didn't have the first clue about painting a vehicle. If I knew what I know now, I would have taken it to a pro with a paint booth and paid 3000-3500 for a decent paint job. It was a hard lesson learned but one I'll never forget.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So I am a sucker for lowered rangers..... Deadpresidents Suspension Tech 25 04-22-2009 01:29 PM
Any other bagged rangers? BaggedEdge Suspension Tech 26 11-27-2004 10:31 AM
Recall on 2004 Rangers 03edgeman General Technical & Electrical 19 10-12-2004 10:34 PM
Canadian Rangers aftermarket General Ford Ranger Discussion 6 08-31-2004 04:08 PM
Price for stone guards for '04 Rangers? pacodiablo Exterior Semi-Tech 0 08-14-2004 01:34 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:52 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.