Tech Page..... - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Ranger-Forums Office Post all comments, questions, and suggestions about the site in this sub-forum. Announcements will be posted here as well.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 03-26-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
there are numerous people on here who are IT professionals who probably would help the site for free if someone asked.....there are also members who know how to do site building/maintance who would help.....
  #27  
Old 03-26-2008
Strider0O0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Hire someone? This site is run strickly on volunteers

And the contributor money is for the site server and upkeep, unless Christian wants to UP the cost to contribute, I doubt we could pay someone to do a tech section
we could be creative with the "Hiring" process

....maybe a year or two subscription to the site... maybe a one-time small cash payment... maybe a mix of things, i don't know... we're not talking hundreds of dollars or a salary or anything extreme like that.

as it is right now, this board seems to be 80% community, 15% tech, and 5% crazy, lol.

not saying that it's a bad thing at all... personally i think this site is great.. however.. there is great room for improvement in the technical side of the site. strengthing the actual knowledge around the board would help round this site out.
  #28  
Old 03-26-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
why did my other thread get locked? I made the second thread to clean it up, why not merge them so the other ideas I had put in there be seen and heard?
  #29  
Old 03-26-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
I'd be willing to help out, I'm sure a lot of other members would as well. We could get this thing done without having to hire someone. Its not a page project its more information gathering then anything.
  #30  
Old 03-26-2008
Strider0O0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
I'd be willing to help out, I'm sure a lot of other members would as well. We could get this thing done without having to hire someone. Its not a page project its more information gathering then anything.

i'm willing to bet we'll get a lot of positive response out of this... people will offer to help, and in the end... a few months from now.. all we'll have gained was another mod or two... and maybe another couple of pages of random tech faq's and how-to's....

the entire thing needs to be organized and redeveloped under one layout
  #31  
Old 03-26-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider0O0 View Post
i'm willing to bet we'll get a lot of positive response out of this... people will offer to help, and in the end... a few months from now.. all we'll have gained was another mod or two... and maybe another couple of pages of random tech faq's and how-to's....

the entire thing needs to be organized and redeveloped under one layout
Nothing will come of this.....great people will VOLUNTEER to help, and it will go no where just like other great suggestions go.....ie remember the big application process for TOTM? There were numerous good ideas in the applications, but it went nowhere
  #32  
Old 03-26-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Well if all your going to do is talk about how its not going to work then it definitely won't. Oh well I tired...
  #33  
Old 03-26-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
I think it will work if the mods/admin let it work.....
  #34  
Old 03-26-2008
Strider0O0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Well if all your going to do is talk about how its not going to work then it definitely won't. Oh well I tired...
nothing against you man.... it's good to see people volunteer..

it's just been going on like this for 4 years now... or however long the site has been up... nothing has changed... this comes up every year and nothing new is ever tried.
  #35  
Old 03-26-2008
ScottG's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
the only real person to talk to about this is Christian

a "tech page" will require making a separate page from the forum. Not hard to do, but it would take extra space and time to update. And unless it just links to forum pages or cardomain pages, EVERYTHING would have to be retyped (copied and pasted hopefully) into webpages. And then there would be no chance for others to respond on them, and then when info changes or more shows up, someone is going to have to update it again


And right now, TRS and RPS have a good tech section, and the basic howto's are in our section. So why is there a need for a ranger-forum tech section? Im not understanding why you think its so hard to find info on our site. Its called do an advance search, select the "how-to section" and search for key words that you are looking for...


and Maurice, Your other thread looked like this one, and theres no point for two threads on the same topic, by the same poster
  #36  
Old 03-26-2008
ScottG's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger View Post
Nothing will come of this.....great people will VOLUNTEER to help, and it will go no where just like other great suggestions go.....ie remember the big application process for TOTM? There were numerous good ideas in the applications, but it went nowhere

and when did a mod or admin ASK for TOTM help?

I remember in the beginning it was talked about, and tried out and it didn't work...

Then a year or so later, people took it upon themselves to start posting up ideas. I don't remember Christian ASKING for ideas, and thus, nothing was done of it, because the SITE OWNER is happy without having TOTM
  #37  
Old 03-26-2008
ScottG's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger View Post
I think it will work if the mods/admin let it work.....


tell you what


Get your own server space, get all the tech section together, Including all rights from original posters on the how to's (no pirated text) and we will be more then willing to link it from our homepage
  #38  
Old 03-26-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
R-F needs its own tech section because there are members here who are NOT members there.....

The advance search is only good if you know almost exactly what you are searching for....and scrolling through the How-To section can get to be a pain.....the How-To's need to be broken up into categories (interior, axle, exterior, engine, 4wd, 2wd, calculators, etc.).......



Seems like the mods (for the most part) are against this......and since the admin seem to never be on, who are we going to suggest this to? The admin seem to communate with the mods more than look here.....
  #39  
Old 03-26-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
and when did a mod or admin ASK for TOTM help?

I remember in the beginning it was talked about, and tried out and it didn't work...

Then a year or so later, people took it upon themselves to start posting up ideas. I don't remember Christian ASKING for ideas, and thus, nothing was done of it, because the SITE OWNER is happy without having TOTM
Early last year Christian had an application process for a new mods to do only TOTM.....

I will do that, but I will only allow R-F to use it IF they pay for the server cost before they can link it....
  #40  
Old 03-26-2008
Tearloch's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Niagara Falls soon....
Posts: 467
I agree with 04blackedge. But you do have a point lifted97ranger. It also seems that you are good at pointing also. You have pointed out all the negative portions of this post. Also pointing out that there are IT people on this site that would volunteer. But what have you done to make it better? You have been a member since 05.... obviously you have probably seen a post like this before... Have you ever decided to "help out" possibly by going to the bookstore and reading on site building or maintaining sites? Not attacking you here, just wondering...
  #41  
Old 03-26-2008
Strider0O0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
tell you what


Get your own server space, get all the tech section together, Including all rights from original posters on the how to's (no pirated text) and we will be more then willing to link it from our homepage
to some extent, that's basically exactly what i had in mind. we need someone to organize the tech space under one layout. asking a volunteer to do all of that is a bit too much to ask upon one person, which is why the "hiring" question was brought up.
  #42  
Old 03-26-2008
ScottG's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger View Post
R-F needs its own tech section because there are members here who are NOT members there.....

The advance search is only good if you know almost exactly what you are searching for....and scrolling through the How-To section can get to be a pain.....the How-To's need to be broken up into categories (interior, axle, exterior, engine, 4wd, 2wd, calculators, etc.).......



Seems like the mods (for the most part) are against this......and since the admin seem to never be on, who are we going to suggest this to? The admin seem to communate with the mods more than look here.....


the admins are usually working on keeping the sites from crashing, while the moderators keep the forum in working order

The admins come on, at least 1 is on a day (or everyother day).

You can easily PM them for a response, but no response from them is guaranteed. If they feel the same was as the mods, they don't usually respond because its already being handled.



Oh, and I have yet to see someone new complain about the howto section.

And in most cases, its been YOU complaining about it
  #43  
Old 03-26-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearloch View Post
I agree with 04blackedge. But you do have a point lifted97ranger. It also seems that you are good at pointing also. You have pointed out all the negative portions of this post. Also pointing out that there are IT people on this site that would volunteer. But what have you done to make it better? You have been a member since 05.... obviously you have probably seen a post like this before... Have you ever decided to "help out" possibly by going to the bookstore and reading on site building or maintaining sites? Not attacking you here, just wondering...
I have volunteered NUMEROUS time only to be turned away.....I along with others have tried.....we have suggested and volunteered only to be turned away like Scott and Andrew are doing now.....
  #44  
Old 03-26-2008
schatten789's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Matagorda County, Texas
Posts: 735
I dont think there need to be another page.

maby just make more sub forums, one for each category. Have one named something like 'Interior' and one 'Suspension', or something like that. I think we just need some way to organize and maintain the how to's. Maby also have one for gearing, tire fitment, etc to clean up some of the stickies.


Edit: scott there has been one or two that have asked about the pictures not showing in the how to's. That is also a problem, pictures explain alot better then words, I do remember a mod saying that it was up to the author of the how to to fix the pictures or something like that.
  #45  
Old 03-26-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
the admins are usually working on keeping the sites from crashing, while the moderators keep the forum in working order

The admins come on, at least 1 is on a day (or everyother day).

You can easily PM them for a response, but no response from them is guaranteed. If they feel the same was as the mods, they don't usually respond because its already being handled.



Oh, and I have yet to see someone new complain about the howto section.

And in most cases, its been YOU complaining about it
I have tried PM'ing an admin about changing my user name....how hard can that be I have done it about once a week for almost a month now.....


I don't really complain, I have ideas that I get told by mods that they suck and I defend them.....since I don't seem to be the only one who agrees here....


BTW, a website is like a retail store, first impressions are important.....this site hasn't really changed since I have been here except for new members......

There are people who come to look at only tech info and then join, if I was one of those people, the tech pages here wouldnt inspire me to join......

Guaranteed that this thread gets locked.....that seems to be the norm when members have a good idea and a mods doesn't like it....I guess Scott is the voice of the R-F now saying what is best....
  #46  
Old 03-26-2008
Tearloch's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Niagara Falls soon....
Posts: 467
Like i said not attacking you, just getting information. I hate to bring it up... that bad word that starts with w (..work..) I am a trainer/recruiter and it always seems that we are never getting enough people through the door to hire to please the "higher up's" and all the "higher up's" have these "great idea's" to get people in the door, but never offer the time to help with their " great idea's". Didnt mean to go off on a tangent but, hope your picking up what i putting down.
  #47  
Old 03-26-2008
FireRanger's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
If there was only an ignore function on this forum, I know who would be my first entry.

I think we all appreciate everyone else's CONSTRUCTIVE and supportive input on this suggestion. This forum is nobody's full time job so we can't do everything everyone wants. All we can do is take the suggestions and do what we can to the best of our abilities. I think 99% of the membership here understands that, appreciates the existence of this forum, and takes what we do have in stride. For all of you, THANK YOU and we really do read and understand your suggestions and input. Even if it doesn't get implemented, it is nice to see there are people who care enough to care.

As for the 1% that has nothing better to do with his life, it does say "LOG OUT" in the top right if you so wish. With the lies and BS you are spewing lately, I would actually encourage you to use it. Once again, for the 8,000th time, YOU are the reason yet another thread is locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger View Post
I have tried PM'ing an admin about changing my user name....how hard can that be I have done it about once a week for almost a month now.....
The police call that A CLUE.

Last edited by FireRanger; 03-26-2008 at 09:11 PM.
  #48  
Old 03-26-2008
ScottG's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger View Post
I have tried PM'ing an admin about changing my user name....how hard can that be I have done it about once a week for almost a month now.....


I don't really complain, I have ideas that I get told by mods that they suck and I defend them.....since I don't seem to be the only one who agrees here....


BTW, a website is like a retail store, first impressions are important.....this site hasn't really changed since I have been here except for new members......

There are people who come to look at only tech info and then join, if I was one of those people, the tech pages here wouldnt inspire me to join......

Guaranteed that this thread gets locked.....that seems to be the norm when members have a good idea and a mods doesn't like it....I guess Scott is the voice of the R-F now saying what is best....

who said your idea here sucked? I even said it was a good idea.


And Maurice, you DID join this forum with NO howto's posted, so why DID you JOIN? Same reason everyone else is joining!


And now I guess Im the bad guy here, glad we went from Andrew and then to Me. But yet Ive been here since day 1, and the site hasnt burned down the crapper?
  #49  
Old 03-26-2008
ScottG's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
Now that Fireranger is here,


That now makes 3 out of 4 mods responding

So we will Lock this for now
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start page pics...(new ideas) INT3RC3PTOR Ranger-Forums Office 7 11-15-2005 11:57 AM
headlights from the main page truck SMOWKIN Exterior Semi-Tech 24 07-22-2005 09:55 PM
Is R-F your home page? 00RANGER00 General Ford Ranger Discussion 18 05-04-2005 01:34 AM
can you search a members name on the PM page LILBLUE04FX4L2 Ranger-Forums Office 0 12-09-2004 09:39 PM
Error message on any page TremorJon Ranger-Forums Office 16 06-11-2004 01:21 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.