2002FX4's SAS thread - Page 4 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #76  
Old 03-26-2007
casfz1's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: southgate, mi
Posts: 1,989
very nice job.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 03-26-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
lol....
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 03-26-2007
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
ya sounds like a fuel cell in the back where the spare used to be would be better!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03-26-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Looks good, too tall, but lets not get into that convo again. One thing that I dont like is the rear shackle angle, looks like that could use some major help. Can we get a direct side shot of the rear shackles.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 03-26-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0
Looks good, too tall, but lets not get into that convo again. One thing that I dont like is the rear shackle angle, looks like that could use some major help. Can we get a direct side shot of the rear shackles.
rear shackle looks pretty straight up and down to me.......that is the way it should be...
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 03-26-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
rear shackle looks pretty straight up and down to me.......that is the way it should be...
the rear shackle should have some angle towards the back of the truck not perpendicular to the ground, and in a couple pics it looks like the passenger side shackle is pointed a hair or two forward.

Last edited by redranger4.0; 03-26-2007 at 08:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 03-26-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
rear shackle looks pretty straight up and down to me.......that is the way it should be...
Some quick tech, if the shackle is completly vertical, then very little flex can be achieved, as the spring drops when flexing the shackle needs to be able drop with it (comming closer to vertical), if the shackle is already vertical at ride height it has no were to go but inverted (pointing forward), which can have some bad effects.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 03-26-2007
ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Posts: 4,502
looks great dude cant wait to see it
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 03-26-2007
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
Looks badass man, i love it.

Have you had it on the expressway driving yet? I'd like to know how it drives and handles from 0-70.

I wanna see some flexing now!!
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 03-26-2007
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Wow, that is how I want my truck to look!!!
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 03-26-2007
camodown's Avatar
Lost in Nowhere
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 5,029
I don't know if you said or anything because I didn't read everyone's posts, but what are you going to do with your old lift. jw

truck looks bad *** btw
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 03-26-2007
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
I wonder how you brake too, lol...My braking isint the best with 35s, idk how you guys do it with larger tires..
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 03-26-2007
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4
I wonder how you brake too, lol...My braking isint the best with 35s, idk how you guys do it with larger tires..
stop sooner
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 03-26-2007
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
Well i have figured that out since i have had them on my truck for 6,000 miles.

I meant larger tires than what i have....35"+

Im talking if i had to stop to dodge an accident or something crossing the road, i would be screwed..
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 03-26-2007
_97_4X4_'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 289
That's looking great man... i have a question for ya and if ya could get a pic for me that would be GREAT!

I noticed you moved the front spring perch slightly more towards the chunk than the stock location... i will have to do this as well and i was wondering how you ran the u-bolts through... did you drill another hole in part of the chunk? Also, how did you run a u-bolt on the other side? Did you round off the part where the stock spring perch is?

I appreciate any help you could give me!
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 03-27-2007
2002FX4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
looks great man.

full tank of gas i hope? man i hate that ranger lean.
Just about full (7/8 full). It took me abit of figuring before I realized that's what was causing it.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03-27-2007
2002FX4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0
Some quick tech, if the shackle is completly vertical, then very little flex can be achieved, as the spring drops when flexing the shackle needs to be able drop with it (comming closer to vertical), if the shackle is already vertical at ride height it has no were to go but inverted (pointing forward), which can have some bad effects.

Believe me, you don't know how many times I mounted, cut, moved, remounted, etc. the rear hangers. All because I kept shifting the weight on the rear (moving stuff in/out of the bed while I was using it as storage space). When I finally realized this, I kept pretty much just my old leafs in the bed for abit of weight to get the angle I want (just about the angle of the front shackles). I have a camper shell (probably around 100 lbs.) that will go on the back soon for my move. Therefore I wanted to have that similar weight on the rear and not have the shackle be at like 45* or steeper with weight. And besides, the leafs arn't called long travel for nothing. They drop down a good several inches without a forced flex. Not to mention having the shackles just slightly "back" of vertical (similar to the front shackles) achieves the greatest amount of lift. So believe me, I know where you are coming from and ALOT of thought went into all of the engineering; those hangers arn't the only thing that I re-did more than once!

Last edited by 2002FX4; 03-27-2007 at 03:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 03-27-2007
2002FX4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0
Looks good, too tall, but lets not get into that convo again. One thing that I dont like is the rear shackle angle, looks like that could use some major help. Can we get a direct side shot of the rear shackles.
Opinions are like ***-holes...

Just giving ya some sh*t!
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 03-27-2007
2002FX4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4
I wonder how you brake too, lol...My braking isint the best with 35s, idk how you guys do it with larger tires..
I'm upgrading the stock Waggy single-piston calipers to Bendix double-piston as well as using cross-drilled rotors.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 03-27-2007
2002FX4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by _97_4X4_
That's looking great man... i have a question for ya and if ya could get a pic for me that would be GREAT!

I noticed you moved the front spring perch slightly more towards the chunk than the stock location... i will have to do this as well and i was wondering how you ran the u-bolts through... did you drill another hole in part of the chunk? Also, how did you run a u-bolt on the other side? Did you round off the part where the stock spring perch is?

I appreciate any help you could give me!
Lots and lots and lots of GRINDING to get the fit just right!
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 03-27-2007
2002FX4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by camodown
I don't know if you said or anything because I didn't read everyone's posts, but what are you going to do with your old lift. jw

truck looks bad *** btw
Already sold the RCD dood.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 03-27-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002FX4
Opinions are like ***-holes...

Just giving ya some sh*t!
Im glad to see some people still have their funny bone...
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 03-27-2007
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002FX4
I'm upgrading the stock Waggy single-piston calipers to Bendix double-piston as well as using cross-drilled rotors.
NICE, keep us updated on that.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 03-27-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291865
I would defidently give keith a call when you need brake lines for those new brakes.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 03-27-2007
_97_4X4_'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002FX4
Lots and lots and lots of GRINDING to get the fit just right!

That's what I thought... looks like I have some grinding to do this weekend!

Thanks alot man!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002FX4's leaf-to-coil swap thread 2002FX4 Project Logs 63 09-22-2008 06:23 PM
2002fx4 and 84socal cleghorn meet 3-22-08 ranger Meet & Greet Photos 17 04-01-2008 09:57 PM
2002fx4 and 84socal cleghorn meet vids ranger Vehicle & Meet Videos 1 03-25-2008 05:26 PM
2002fx4 and 84socal cleghorn meet 3-22-08 84socal Vehicle & Meet Videos 3 03-24-2008 11:29 PM
2002FX4's 5.0 swap 2002FX4 Project Logs 23 03-19-2008 09:37 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:33 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.