Ball joint ? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-05-2008
rededge02's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 121
Ball joint ?

When you have to replace the ball joints, can you buy just the ball joints or do you have to purchase entire new control arms?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-05-2008
RazorsEDGE's Avatar
There's no lifeguard in the gene pool
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,501
Uppers or lowers?

Assuming yours have never neen replaced then for the uppers you will have to buy the entire arm. You can replace just the joints for the lowers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-05-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
I think its 03+ up that are replaceable.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-05-2008
rededge02's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 121
so on stock components, lowers are a direct replacement but when the uppers wear out you have to replace the whole arm?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-06-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Yes.....you need to replace the entire arm. If you buy an upper, it is also non-replaceable. But.....If you go to MOOG uppers, their arms have REPLACEABLE joints....so $105 the first time, and next time will only be $40.

The lowers pop in and pop out. No no arm needed.

I suggest RockAuto.com for any aftermarket or OEM replacement parts. I bought 2 Moog uppers w/ arm, and 2 Moog lowers for under $300 shipped. Autoparts stores wanted $450 or regular old no name joints/arms. Wanted $475 for the Moog parts.

The driver side arms are all the same 98+. Passenger side is different....98-02 is two piece, 03+ are 1 piece. You can upgrade to the 1 piece...direct swap. I did it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
I think its 03+ up that are replaceable.
No.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-06-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by rededge02 View Post
so on stock components, lowers are a direct replacement but when the uppers wear out you have to replace the whole arm?
Lowers are direct replacement.

Uppers are a new arm w/ joint. The Joints are built into the arm.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-06-2008
rededge02's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 121
thanks for clearing that up
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-06-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
Yes.....you need to replace the entire arm. If you buy an upper, it is also non-replaceable. But.....If you go to MOOG uppers, their arms have REPLACEABLE joints....so $105 the first time, and next time will only be $40.

The lowers pop in and pop out. No no arm needed.

I suggest RockAuto.com for any aftermarket or OEM replacement parts. I bought 2 Moog uppers w/ arm, and 2 Moog lowers for under $300 shipped. Autoparts stores wanted $450 or regular old no name joints/arms. Wanted $475 for the Moog parts.

The driver side arms are all the same 98+. Passenger side is different....98-02 is two piece, 03+ are 1 piece. You can upgrade to the 1 piece...direct swap. I did it.




No.

Hi Shane,

Do you have the part#'s for the MOOG uppers and lowers for 2002 ranger edge? I'm going on 90k miles and I know I gotta replace these sooner or later.

Also, do you have a pic of your current upper/lower setup? Are they beefer then the stock arms?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-06-2008
camodown's Avatar
Lost in Nowhere
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 5,029
Yea I just found out my lowers are toast. Went to get an alignment and got the news. I knew it was getting close though.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-06-2008
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by camodown View Post
Yea I just found out my lowers are toast. Went to get an alignment and got the news. I knew it was getting close though.
Mine are squeaky and the boots are torn. No play in them yet, though. Nothing major going on with the alignment, either.

When they do go I am taking the truck to a 4x4 shop and having them make me some custom lift spindles then I am going to replace my upper and lower ball joints. It'll be $1000 well spent IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-06-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
No.
So is it only the MOOG ones that are replaceable?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-07-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
So is it only the MOOG ones that are replaceable?
Yes (as far as I know...)

Yes...replaceable with MOOG replacement #K80012 for MOOG upper arms.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I know another Ball joint quest ranger_1999 Suspension Tech 0 10-13-2008 07:46 AM
Running a Johnny Joint / Superflex Joint on the Track Bar zabeard Suspension Tech 20 04-11-2007 09:36 AM
installing spindles - ball joint separator RanJerEDGE Suspension Tech 13 02-10-2006 05:39 AM
ball joint boots j18willis Suspension Tech 10 12-01-2005 02:22 PM
Cant get lower ball joint seperated Roach2004 General Ford Ranger Discussion 14 11-18-2005 07:35 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:44 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.