SAS part list - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-18-2008
countryboy fx4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: orlando
Posts: 185
SAS part list

so my buddy builds mud trucks and i was talkin about putting a lift kit on my truck and he said that he would rather do a solid axle instead..well i dont even know where to start for parts and i'm pretty sure he knows what to use to build it but i just want to knwo what some of you all used to build it up

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-18-2008
braddokxlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: woodbridge VA
Posts: 342
your going to sas your 07?? why??
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2008
My05edge's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 1,351
cuz itll be frickin sweet, brand new 07 with a solid axle, that would be awesome
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-18-2008
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
do you like your warranty because you will void it as soon as you start cutting holy**** i wish i had that much money to just throw around damn son
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-18-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
i would atleast wear out the stock parts first. lol
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-18-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by My05edge View Post
cuz itll be frickin sweet, brand new 07 with a solid axle, that would be awesome
I finished paying for my truck last fall. For years prior to that, I had put the spindle lift on it, added and subtracted various parts including a rear locker, FX4 31 spline rear axle, and so forth.

It's a risk doing it before the warranty is up for sure, but I agree: a more modern truck SAS'd and fully equipped is a sweet thing to have. I have all my power options, EATC, A/C, 6CD MP3 player, etc. in a nice modern platform in my 2002.


Someday it will be old, lol. And some days it kind of looks it, lol. But I love my truck and I think a SAS'd late model is a nice thing to have.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-18-2008
4x4offroad99's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz View Post
I finished paying for my truck last fall. For years prior to that, I had put the spindle lift on it, added and subtracted various parts including a rear locker, FX4 31 spline rear axle, and so forth.

It's a risk doing it before the warranty is up for sure, but I agree: a more modern truck SAS'd and fully equipped is a sweet thing to have. I have all my power options, EATC, A/C, 6CD MP3 player, etc. in a nice modern platform in my 2002.


Someday it will be old, lol. And some days it kind of looks it, lol. But I love my truck and I think a SAS'd late model is a nice thing to have.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-18-2008
cory07ranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Corvallis,OR
Posts: 502
i'm sas'n my 07 here in a month n a half!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-18-2008
Blackhawk's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 586
well first ur gonna need an axle which probably the hardest thing to find. Or if ur feeling rich, look up Currie Enterprise. Rule of thumb is D30 for tires up 35" D44 for tire up to 43"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-18-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
My rule of thumb is: D30 sucks. Just find a D44

You'll need a steering box, drag link, track bar and tie rod. You'll need spring perches on the axle and on the frame (differs depending on whether you do coils or leafs). Ditto shock mounts on the axle and frame.

You'll need tools to clean off the frame, and probably you need to weld or know someone who does and is experienced welding on metal like your frame.

You'll need a custom steering shaft. Nothing bolts straight up. You'll need to adapt to the brake lines on your vehicle and that will require brake "hard line" tubing as well as an extended hose to reach from the frame to whatever amount of articulation your axle has.

Obviously, you need springs and shocks.

If you don't buy a new axle with everything rebuilt, you'll need rebuild kits, ball joints, bearings and so forth. That all varies with axle condition and what you can reuse.

You'll probably need to regear for larger tires, and that will require gears and install kits for the front and rear both.

You'll have to cut off your front "drop" crossmember that 4x4's and Edge 4x2's have and put something in it's place that leaves room for the differential.

If you go to my cardomain site (link in my signature) and go to page 25, you'll see a lot of what I did and get some ideas of what's required there. There's a lot of SAS build threads here, but they are long and rambling and hard to do research in.

You'll need a custom front driveshaft most likely. If you do a D30 and it's far enough forward you might get by with a Cherokee shaft with no mods. But that's hardly a reason to use a D30. I have a Cherokee shaft shortened 3".

You won't have ABS anymore if that's an issue.

Edit: Oh, and if you do coils you'll need radius arms of some kind, either single or double and appropriate brackets on the frame.

Last edited by n3elz; 04-18-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-18-2008
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
well first ur gonna need an axle which probably the hardest thing to find. Or if ur feeling rich, look up Currie Enterprise. Rule of thumb is D30 for tires up 35" D44 for tire up to 43"
Really nothing larger then a 37-38 should be run on a Dana 44.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-18-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Agreed. I think 35's are too big for a D30 in offroad service also -- but it's a matter of opinion and some debate, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-18-2008
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
well first ur gonna need an axle which probably the hardest thing to find. Or if ur feeling rich, look up Currie Enterprise. Rule of thumb is D30 for tires up 35" D44 for tire up to 43"
rule of thumb is to take all the D30s on the planet and melt em down to make D60s


and i would trust a D44 up to a 37, maybe a 38 if your nice..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-18-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
If I trade in my D44 and some D30 I dig up, do I qualify for a free D60? Where do I sign up!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-19-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hinesburg, vt
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ranger4x4 View Post
rule of thumb is to take all the D30s on the planet and melt em down to make D60s


and i would trust a D44 up to a 37, maybe a 38 if your nice..
and you are aware that a d44 isn't much bigger than a 30 right?



If you're going to wheel it, go straight to 1 tons. Of not, a 30 will be just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-19-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Sure, and a 50 isn't much bigger than a 44, or a 60 isn't much bigger than a 50...

It's enough bigger to make a difference, and quite common. You sound like one of the folks who argues that there's no advantage to a D44 so why bother. But that's simply wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-19-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
there is a big difference from a 30 to a 44. i will list them all out if you want!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-19-2008
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
well first ur gonna need an axle which probably the hardest thing to find. Or if ur feeling rich, look up Currie Enterprise. Rule of thumb is D30 for tires up 35" D44 for tire up to 43"
43 in tires on a D44? I wanna know where you buy your axle shafts! I wouldn't put anything larger than 33s on a D35... 37s on a D44 (39s with chromo shafts).
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-20-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: College Station
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downey View Post
do you like your warranty because you will void it as soon as you start cutting holy**** i wish i had that much money to just throw around damn son
always thought they would have to prove the modifications caused the warranty issue to decline warranty service..

like if the radio stopped working, it had nothing to do with the sas, so the warranty is still good..

plus if you got the money, do it, but gas prices suck right now
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-20-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hinesburg, vt
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
there is a big difference from a 30 to a 44. i will list them all out if you want!
go for it.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-21-2008
countryboy fx4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: orlando
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX2.3 View Post
always thought they would have to prove the modifications caused the warranty issue to decline warranty service..

like if the radio stopped working, it had nothing to do with the sas, so the warranty is still good..

plus if you got the money, do it, but gas prices suck right now
yea thats exactly what the guy down at ford said...he said whatever you do to your truck it only voids that part of the warranty.... but even if i dont do the sas and something went wrong underneath my truck they still wouldnt fix it because they would see that i do play in the mud and would list it under "abuse". its already happened so warranty is the last thing i care about.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-21-2008
countryboy fx4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: orlando
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz View Post
My rule of thumb is: D30 sucks. Just find a D44

You'll need a steering box, drag link, track bar and tie rod. You'll need spring perches on the axle and on the frame (differs depending on whether you do coils or leafs). Ditto shock mounts on the axle and frame.

You'll need tools to clean off the frame, and probably you need to weld or know someone who does and is experienced welding on metal like your frame.

You'll need a custom steering shaft. Nothing bolts straight up. You'll need to adapt to the brake lines on your vehicle and that will require brake "hard line" tubing as well as an extended hose to reach from the frame to whatever amount of articulation your axle has.

Obviously, you need springs and shocks.

If you don't buy a new axle with everything rebuilt, you'll need rebuild kits, ball joints, bearings and so forth. That all varies with axle condition and what you can reuse.

You'll probably need to regear for larger tires, and that will require gears and install kits for the front and rear both.

You'll have to cut off your front "drop" crossmember that 4x4's and Edge 4x2's have and put something in it's place that leaves room for the differential.

If you go to my cardomain site (link in my signature) and go to page 25, you'll see a lot of what I did and get some ideas of what's required there. There's a lot of SAS build threads here, but they are long and rambling and hard to do research in.

You'll need a custom front driveshaft most likely. If you do a D30 and it's far enough forward you might get by with a Cherokee shaft with no mods. But that's hardly a reason to use a D30. I have a Cherokee shaft shortened 3".

You won't have ABS anymore if that's an issue.

Edit: Oh, and if you do coils you'll need radius arms of some kind, either single or double and appropriate brackets on the frame.
awesome thanks...my buddy says he wants to do 10 inch leaf springs...what size did you use?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-21-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 647
I believe it's been stated before in one of the SAS threads that a early 90's yota leaf would give you whatever lift it says plus 2, but I think a lot of the heights depend on whether you do the shackle in the front or rear.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-21-2008
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy fx4 View Post
awesome thanks...my buddy says he wants to do 10 inch leaf springs...what size did you use?
I actually used a combination of custom blocks, longer shackles, and modified leaf springs in the rear. I'm looking at lift springs sometime in the future.

The only reasons I can get away with blocks is: A) I'm low powered and B) I have traction bars. Both help keep the blocks from being an issue.

Of course I'm coil in the front so I can't comment on leaf springs for the front except I don't want any, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-21-2008
countryboy fx4's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: orlando
Posts: 185
haha well that would make sense. il just let him do what he does best.

i know i can trust him since he does this for a living so whatever he tells me to do we will see how it ends up...i prob wont be starting until mid summer but when i do il keep yall posted on what hes doin
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
part list for turbo swap seth556 2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech 11 03-01-2009 09:58 PM
SAS Parts list TrailRateThisFx4 Suspension Tech 4 06-01-2008 09:44 PM
SAS check list Biz General Ford Ranger Discussion 8 02-19-2008 02:06 PM
Doublechecking my 4.56 re-gear part list, help! l2en Drivetrain Tech 11 05-31-2007 06:15 PM
SAS Supply List? SteveOh Suspension Tech 35 10-09-2006 06:14 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.