steering stop mod - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-24-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: topeka, ks
Posts: 32
steering stop mod

new tires are rubbing a little on the sway bar. is there some way to modify the steering stop on the lower control arm to lengthen it just slightly , reducing the steering radius? i dont want to have to think about not cranking the steering for the next 50,000 miles.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2010
brianjwilson's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 3,650
You should get wheels with the correct backspacing so the tires don't rub then, or simply remove the sway bar if it is too hard to think about not cranking the wheel to full lock...?
I suppose you could have someone stick a weld on there and then grind it down to the proper size if you are really concerned about it.

Last edited by brianjwilson; 05-25-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: white oak tx
Posts: 237
there is a wheel stop on the gear box
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: topeka, ks
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by old87ranger View Post
there is a wheel stop on the gear box
????????????????????????
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2010
01_ranger_4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Muskegon, Michigan
Posts: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by old87ranger View Post
there is a wheel stop on the gear box
did you even read his post? he also has a 2008 according to his profile therefore he has no gearbox. there are stops on the LCA's and i dont see why you couldnt lengthen them to limit steering travel but like brian said, using the proper offset rim would be another option, that way you wont have to limit your steering, the ranger turning radius already sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: topeka, ks
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 View Post
did you even read his post? he also has a 2008 according to his profile therefore he has no gearbox. there are stops on the LCA's and i dont see why you couldnt lengthen them to limit steering travel but like brian said, using the proper offset rim would be another option, that way you wont have to limit your steering, the ranger turning radius already sucks.
it barely rubs at full crank. i think if the steering stop was an 8th of an inch or so longer that would be enough. $50 steering stop mod vs $500 for wheels. yu do the math
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-24-2010
01_ranger_4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Muskegon, Michigan
Posts: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlumber View Post
it barely rubs at full crank. i think if the steering stop was an 8th of an inch or so longer that would be enough. $50 steering stop mod vs $500 for wheels. yu do the math
I was just offering suggestions no need for smart *** remarks, that's not a good way to get people to help you.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-24-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: white oak tx
Posts: 237
i missed where he said he adjusted it
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-24-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: topeka, ks
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 View Post
I was just offering suggestions no need for smart *** remarks, that's not a good way to get people to help you.
wasnt intended to be a smartass remark. sorry if it was taken that way. been all over the ranger forums with this and all i hear is get different wheels or take the sway bars off. not ready to do either. just looking for a simpler solution if one is out there. btw, dont appreciate being called a smartass
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2010
brianjwilson's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 3,650
So on all kinds of different forums, people are telling you to get different wheels... Huh....

So just do something about it already. Look at how the steering stops are, a piece of metal on the knuckle contacts a piece of metal on the lower control arm, there is no secretive engineering going on there.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-25-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: topeka, ks
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjwilson View Post
So on all kinds of different forums, people are telling you to get different wheels... Huh....

So just do something about it already. Look at how the steering stops are, a piece of metal on the knuckle contacts a piece of metal on the lower control arm, there is no secretive engineering going on there.
i know what it looks like. people like you are what makes me dread posting here. pompous know-it-all. what a dick
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-25-2010
01_ranger_4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Muskegon, Michigan
Posts: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlumber View Post
i know what it looks like. people like you are what makes me dread posting here. pompous know-it-all. what a dick
you come on here asking our opinions on something you already had made up your mind about and call us dicks because we not only answered your question but also offered suggestions on going about it the correct way instead of half assing it. kinda bass ackwards dont ya think? If you don't want the answers don't ask the questions
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-25-2010
GI_JO_NATHAN's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Spartanburg, SC/Pensacola
Posts: 343
Throw on a set of eighth inch wheel spacers.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-25-2010
brianjwilson's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 3,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlumber View Post
i know what it looks like. people like you are what makes me dread posting here. pompous know-it-all. what a dick
Don't get your vagina in a wad. People like you make everyone dread clicking on a thread.
I don't know how I'm a "pompous know-it-all." I gave you several ideas for fixing the problem, and told you what/where the steering stop is. Would you like me to come and do it for you? Would that make you happy? I don't understand people like you, no matter what a person tells you, you aren't going to be satisfied. Troll somewhere else.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-25-2010
DaGGer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East Windsor, CT
Posts: 919
You guys honestly gave each other ****. This forum and him. Just reading this he asked a simple question and you guys gave him **** to get new rims. I'll agree that its a costly effort for 1/8". Then of course he didn't have to be a dick about the responces he gave. Try lengthening the stop on the LCA and see if that helps. Everyone appears to have their E-dick hanging out today showing off.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-25-2010
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
I agree with everything Brian and Patrick have said....


If you don't like the answers you're getting here, I've got another RBV board that's full of idiots who don't know what they're talking about that you could go to... Maybe that's the place for you...

soooooooooooooooooo sorry we actually know what we're talking about here and always answer a question AND possible solutions....whether you listen to us, that's all up to you... ain't our truck...






Thunderlumber or whatever, what's your truck's specs?? You need a signature. I can't understand why you're rubbing sway bar in the beginning if you've got an '08... That is, unless you're running like 14.50's on stock wheels....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-25-2010
brianjwilson's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 3,650
Just for fun, I'm quoting my first reply in this thread with some bold lettering. For you guys who are complaining that I didn't suggest a solution, go ahead and try reading again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjwilson View Post
You should get wheels with the correct backspacing so the tires don't rub then, or simply remove the sway bar if it is too hard to think about not cranking the wheel to full lock...?
I suppose you could have someone stick a weld on there and then grind it down to the proper size if you are really concerned about it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-25-2010
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
I agree with everything Brian and Patrick have said....


If you don't like the answers you're getting here, I've got another RBV board that's full of idiots who don't know what they're talking about that you could go to... Maybe that's the place for you...

soooooooooooooooooo sorry we actually know what we're talking about here and always answer a question AND possible solutions....whether you listen to us, that's all up to you... ain't our truck...






Thunderlumber or whatever, what's your truck's specs?? You need a signature. I can't understand why you're rubbing sway bar in the beginning if you've got an '08... That is, unless you're running like 14.50's on stock wheels....
rofl

on this site attitude is everything.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-25-2010
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: kc mo
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjwilson View Post
Just for fun, I'm quoting my first reply in this thread with some bold lettering. For you guys who are complaining that I didn't suggest a solution, go ahead and try reading again.
no. YOU read it again. you SHOULD get wheels with the correct backspacing........OR simply remove the sway bar..................i suppose you COULD get someone...........

convenient editing
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-25-2010
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by badassranger View Post
no. YOU read it again. you SHOULD get wheels with the correct backspacing........OR simply remove the sway bar..................i suppose you COULD get someone...........

convenient editing
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Hello ThunderLumber! Couldn't talk back under your real screen name could ya??? I suggest you go ask this question over at Pirate4x4. Bunch of awesome guys willing to help.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-25-2010
fourliter dan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lebanon, OR
Posts: 2,229
glad you guys are on the ball here... props to mods ^
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-25-2010
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Hmm....a little continueation.....


Buhbye badassranger, buhbye freewheeler, buhbye know_my_limitions, buhbye tacoma_sucks, buhbye toyotasuks, buhbye what?. Creative registration emails too by the way...


You can stop creating new fake accounts any time now if you wanna continue to be part of this community. Believe me when I say this, I'll be watching...

Last edited by Fx4wannabe01; 05-25-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-25-2010
brianjwilson's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 3,650
Oh good god. I get the feeling that this guy has spent his entire life walking around thinking that everyone ELSE is an a$$hole.

Hint: if a bad smell seems to follow you everywhere you go, it might be you.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-25-2010
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
Someone has too much time on their hands.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering Setup for SAS'd 98+ Rangers with the Toyota steering box zabeard Fabrication & Tool Tech 54 08-14-2017 01:40 PM
Converting manual steering to power steering? SuperKid General Technical & Electrical 3 11-02-2013 09:55 AM
bad steering vibration at a stop mobleysuede Suspension Tech 9 08-13-2013 04:56 PM
Bumb/clunk as I stop and take off from stop PeterB Drivetrain Tech 2 07-26-2008 07:51 PM
Throttle stop mod ?'s Johns777 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 0 02-10-2006 01:24 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:54 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.