Unlifting and uncranking torsion bars - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-14-2013
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 50
Unlifting and uncranking torsion bars

Removing Superlift. After removing the front Superlift, the torsion bars will be taken out and replaced so how do I adjust the torsion bars back to stock settings?

Do you get it close and then the alignment people take it from there?

Last edited by cr4894; 04-17-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-16-2013
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 50
Based on the no response I am thinking that I am trying to do something that has never been done before.

Last edited by cr4894; 04-17-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-17-2013
logan03CO's Avatar
Member

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4894 View Post
Do you get it close and then the alignment people take it from there?
Sounds about right – it will at least get you close(r) to stock.

Wish I could help more – but I’m proud to say I've removed all knowledge of the word 'Unlifting' from my vocabulary.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2013
littlered's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lewistown, Mo
Posts: 1,542
Basically when you reinstal the torsion bars just adjust the bolts until the truck is sitting level and then it will probably get a little bit of rake after the suspension settels back out. Then when you get it alligned they will take care of making sure everything is strait.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2013
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan03CO View Post
Sounds about right it will at least get you close(r) to stock.

Wish I could help more but Im proud to say I've removed all knowledge of the word 'Unlifting' from my vocabulary.
No worries, I think if I ever lift a IFS truck again I will do a SAS conversion. Hope everyone with a superlift has better luck than me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by littlered View Post
Basically when you reinstal the torsion bars just adjust the bolts until the truck is sitting level and then it will probably get a little bit of rake after the suspension settels back out. Then when you get it alligned they will take care of making sure everything is strait.
Thanks, I didn't know if I needed to fine tune the bolts of if it was done at the alignment stage, so yeah that makes sense now.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-17-2013
littlered's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lewistown, Mo
Posts: 1,542
I dont even think the alignment shop will touch the the torsion bar bolts. The will just adjust the tierods to get the tires sitting correctly. So get the truck sitting where you want it before hand.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-18-2013
BLK02's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BC
Posts: 1,350
All tbar keys do is set height, nothing to do with alignment. What kind of problems did the superlift give you?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-25-2013
AeroDoc's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 96
If someone has the FACTORY specs, please post them. That would be helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-25-2013
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK02 View Post
All tbar keys do is set height, nothing to do with alignment. What kind of problems did the superlift give you?
Wouldn't say it was the superlift completely, just the tires I chose were 35" Toyo MTs and the truck got the shakes bad. Could feel it in the seat and the steering wheel almost to a severe level. Balanced tires about 6 or 7 different times and eventually had to let them go. Toyo MTs are very poor quality tires. Got a new set of Goodyear Wranglers and the truck rides so nice and smooth now. DO NOT at all cost buy Toyo MT tires! You've been warned!

The Superlift drop down brackets and torsion bars are ridiculous. Creates a real problem when offroading the truck. They are too low and will hang up on anything you drive over. Cranked Torsion bars are loud! Almost a binding/clicking noise you can hear even from far away. Rear lift block on top of factory lift blocks? What a joke!! Not to mention if you have body lift blocks there as well. It's just like putting your truck on stilts!

Also, the high center of gravity from lifting is a real pain when out on the highway cornering. I know it looks cool and everything but I am over the whole lifting thing. Sorry for my negativity but I am finishing my unlifting project this weekend and if will be nice to have my Ranger back the way it was designed by the engineers that made it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-25-2013
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4894 View Post
Wouldn't say it was the superlift completely, just the tires I chose were 35" Toyo MTs and the truck got the shakes bad. Could feel it in the seat and the steering wheel almost to a severe level. Balanced tires about 6 or 7 different times and eventually had to let them go. Toyo MTs are very poor quality tires. Got a new set of Goodyear Wranglers and the truck rides so nice and smooth now. DO NOT at all cost buy Toyo MT tires! You've been warned!
That could not be any farther from the truth. Toyo MT's are one of the best tires out there.

If you were getting shakes I am guessing you have suspension/steering issues. Not the tires.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-25-2013
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98liftedranger View Post
That could not be any farther from the truth. Toyo MT's are one of the best tires out there.

If you were getting shakes I am guessing you have suspension/steering issues. Not the tires.
Not trying to argue with you about this, just explaining my experiences. One Toyo MT was replaced while still under warranty because its belt was separating for some reason and I had 2 different tire shops telling me that the tires were not perfectly round and had flat spots on them. After replacing the tires with Goodyears the shaking stopped.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Stock 2001 torsion keys and #1 Torsion Bars - MO 01RangerEdge Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 7 01-10-2013 06:01 AM
For Sale: Superlift Shocks, #1 Torsion Bars, 99 Torsion Keys (TX) RangerNVS Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 26 01-22-2010 11:28 AM
Moog upper ball joints and Torsion bars..... Fx4wannabe01 Suspension Tech 24 06-10-2009 11:00 AM
Cranking T-Bars and Using Torsion Keys pacepace87 Suspension Tech 18 07-30-2008 03:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.