Bigger tires on 2wd pointless? - Page 3 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech General discussion of wheels and tires for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #51  
Old 03-09-2013
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Harrison
Posts: 21
So it had no rubbing at all after 2in lift
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-09-2013
boyd_835's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: lake tapps, wa
Posts: 523
you ll be fine with 31s and a spacer in the front i drove my truck for 3 years like that you dont even need the spacer i did that for the first year 31s with complete stock setup
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-09-2013
boyd_835's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: lake tapps, wa
Posts: 523
oh and i had 2wd for 3 years with 31s and a lift they are cool and everything but there is nothing a 2x4 can do that a 4x4 can and as far as cheaper to lift i think its all relative maybe a little difference
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-13-2013
mudlight09's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: anniston, al
Posts: 22
Mine has 31x10.50x15s with no lift. The only time they scrub is if theyre cut all the way and i back up too fast but forward they never scrub
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-24-2015
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oakton, VA
Posts: 6
2WD is for going fast, 4WD is for going slow.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-24-2015
BRENSRANGER's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfeMan48 View Post
2WD is for going fast, 4WD is for going slow.
Not true Just look at the raptor it's fast in 4x4 and 2x4 and thanks for bringing up an old thread.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-24-2015
RLong31's Avatar
The Ban Hammer
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monrovia, IN
Posts: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfeMan48 View Post
2WD is for going fast, 4WD is for going slow.
Keep trollin' bro.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-24-2015
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLong31 View Post
Keep trollin' bro.
Did you see him trolling on 06RangerXLT's thread?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-24-2015
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oakton, VA
Posts: 6
Go to the Mint 400, tell me how many fast trucks have 4WD.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-24-2015
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oakton, VA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01RangerEdge View Post
Did you see him trolling on 06RangerXLT's thread?
Not trolling so much as calling that guy out for asking $13k for a truck that was hacked together. Poor welds, kinked tubing in the bumper, butt welds on the bed cage. Kid spent more time washing and waxing his truck then making sure it went together properly.

Should have know this would end up a bro fan club forum.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 05-24-2015
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfeMan48 View Post
Not trolling so much as calling that guy out for asking $13k for a truck that was hacked together. Poor welds, kinked tubing in the bumper, butt welds on the bed cage. Kid spent more time washing and waxing his truck then making sure it went together properly.

Should have know this would end up a bro fan club forum.
I'm not saying you were in the wrong, I just thought it was funny.

I was just surprised to see a reply to such an old thread
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-24-2015
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oakton, VA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01RangerEdge View Post
I'm not saying you were in the wrong, I just thought it was funny.

I was just surprised to see a reply to such an old thread
I was doing some looking around and stumbled across this thread and forum. I read that thread from start to finish, I liked his ideas and overall scheme. The truck looked good on the surface, but the build photos showed the shotty work.

That thread did help me see how my truck would look with 3" flared fenders and 3312.5's, but that may not be the route I go.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-27-2015
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfeMan48 View Post
2WD is for going fast, 4WD is for going slow.
That is pretty debatable. Have you ever heard of 4wd long travel?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-27-2015
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oakton, VA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00GreenRanger View Post
That is pretty debatable. Have you ever heard of 4wd long travel?
The majority of fast offroad trucks are 2WD. A arm trucks with 2WD pull more and bigger travel numbers then the comparable 4WD A arm models do. More travel means more speed. To the best of my knowledge, there are no equal length TTB trucks out there, but an abundance of I beam equal length trucks. Now on to solid front axles, 1700 Class Jeepspeed truck's are are almost ALL 2WD, they pull the 4WD axle out and put a 2WD carrier beam in. Unless you are talking center mounted A arm 4WD, there really isn't a comparison between the two drive modes. Sure, 4WD is good for getting you out of a sticky slow speed spot, but 2WD is faster and more reliable. Unless you raced or drove King of the Hammers every weekend, 4WD is useless for going fast offroad.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-27-2015
00GreenRanger's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Bend, WA
Posts: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfeMan48 View Post
The majority of fast offroad trucks are 2WD. A arm trucks with 2WD pull more and bigger travel numbers then the comparable 4WD A arm models do. More travel means more speed. To the best of my knowledge, there are no equal length TTB trucks out there, but an abundance of I beam equal length trucks. Now on to solid front axles, 1700 Class Jeepspeed truck's are are almost ALL 2WD, they pull the 4WD axle out and put a 2WD carrier beam in. Unless you are talking center mounted A arm 4WD, there really isn't a comparison between the two drive modes. Sure, 4WD is good for getting you out of a sticky slow speed spot, but 2WD is faster and more reliable. Unless you raced or drove King of the Hammers every weekend, 4WD is useless for going fast offroad.
You can still mob a 4wd long travel truck. With the long travel kits available you can easily drive pretty fast over rough terrain. I see what you're saying about the 2wd rigs with more travel. That being said, a long travel 4wd truck would not be considered slow by any means. Ask anyone on here with long travel 4wd.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pointless, but intresting! TrucksGetDirty Snapshots 340 07-18-2008 06:00 PM
Need bigger tires but what tires? resqdude General Ford Ranger Discussion 48 06-07-2006 12:53 AM
Another Pointless thread about my truck Skyjacker_44 General Ford Ranger Discussion 12 12-27-2005 11:28 AM
Bigger tires No LIFT HighRollerII Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 86 07-04-2005 05:48 PM
is this pointless 87RangerBoy Suspension Tech 29 06-01-2005 04:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.