New Tires - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech General discussion of wheels and tires for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-01-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
New Tires

Got the money ready. Spoke to Goodyear about them apprently its the same as the MTR but looks just like the Open Country MT. They are $175ea for 265/75/16 so its not bad. Lets see what you guys say about this tire.

Good Year Wrangler Authority AT

Attached Thumbnails
New Tires-img_5402.jpg   New Tires-img_0258.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-01-2011
Jelly's Ford's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KnoxVegas, TN
Posts: 874
I think they look beefy and has a good tread design. Are they 2 or 3 ply sidewalls?

I would have considered these for the next set of tires, but they didn't come in a 285/75/16.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-01-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Algonquin
Posts: 17
yea i seen em at my local wally world...they look beefy!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-01-2011
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
I've thought about those before. Buy them and give me a report so I know weather to buy them or not.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-01-2011
sullys_ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NewLexington, Ohio
Posts: 3,615
if they made em in a 285 or a 315 Id have a set
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-01-2011
XYZrealisation's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: America, Texas
Posts: 93
As some1 who Worked for Discount Tire for 2 years and currently working my way up in the auto industry, I would advise you not to buy those tires. Goodyear Tires are very crappy, they wear down horribly and are unreliable tires. I know this from experience and so does every1 else who works at discount. Discount sells them but the techs are the 1z who know how reliable the Tires Are. If your going to go for a good beefy Tire or any tire, Michelin and BFG's are the best way to go. Nittos are good to but the ride will be rough.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-01-2011
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZrealisation View Post
As some1 who Worked for Discount Tire for 2 years and currently working my way up in the auto industry, I would advise you not to buy those tires. Goodyear Tires are very crappy, they wear down horribly and are unreliable tires. I know this from experience and so does every1 else who works at discount. Discount sells them but the techs are the 1z who know how reliable the Tires Are. If your going to go for a good beefy Tire or any tire, Michelin and BFG's are the best way to go. Nittos are good to but the ride will be rough.
Who are you to really say?

Ive had 2 sets of MTRs, 3 sets of Wranglers in either ATS, AT, or the kevlar version. I loved all of them. The wear was good and the traction was perfect. I do agree that some of them are junk such as the AT. But the ATS and Kevlar as well as MTRs are a great tire.

Why would Nittos ride hard? Ive also had 2-3 sets of Nittos with good luck and ride. So Im not sure what you are smokin... Not to mention there are several variables that go into tires, weight of the truck, wheel width, alignments, air pressure, driving style, climate, and road conditions.

to the OP, sweet tire but they are not anywhere close to a MTR.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-01-2011
ranger024x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nova
Posts: 5,061
I agree Zach, I had mt/r's and they were, by far, the best set of tires ive owned
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-01-2011
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZrealisation View Post
As some1 who Worked for Discount Tire for 2 years and currently working my way up in the auto industry, I would advise you not to buy those tires. Goodyear Tires are very crappy, they wear down horribly and are unreliable tires. I know this from experience and so does every1 else who works at discount. Discount sells them but the techs are the 1z who know how reliable the Tires Are. If your going to go for a good beefy Tire or any tire, Michelin and BFG's are the best way to go. Nittos are good to but the ride will be rough.
It's hard to take advice from somebody who can't spell out the word "one".

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
Who are you to really say?

Ive had 2 sets of MTRs, 3 sets of Wranglers in either ATS, AT, or the kevlar version. I loved all of them. The wear was good and the traction was perfect. I do agree that some of them are junk such as the AT. But the ATS and Kevlar as well as MTRs are a great tire.

Why would Nittos ride hard? Ive also had 2-3 sets of Nittos with good luck and ride. So Im not sure what you are smokin... Not to mention there are several variables that go into tires, weight of the truck, wheel width, alignments, air pressure, driving style, climate, and road conditions.

to the OP, sweet tire but they are not anywhere close to a MTR.
Good to know about the different tires!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-01-2011
Taylor's Avatar
Ive been dubbed....an old volk
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 7,110
Well,

GET 'EM ALREADY!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-01-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Well,

GET 'EM ALREADY!!!
x2.
Don't listen to anyone who bashes Goodyear. I've had a few sets before i went all BFG and they wore just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-01-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Well,

GET 'EM ALREADY!!!
you looking what im paying for this week. its been an expensive week working my a$$ off. 60 hours this week to pay for this truck. oh and school too
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-01-2011
FULLSCALE's Avatar
Level III Supporter

iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Clinton, Ontario
Posts: 8,181
I like them... have you considered the Duratrac too? Not sure of the price difference but I love mine and know of many others who do as well!

I won't bash Goodyear... my Duratracs are awesome. My mom had a set of Wrangler AT/S on her Explorer and my dad had Wrangler (HT/S?) on his F150 and those were the two longest lasting sets of tires we've ever had!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-01-2011
buzzthedog's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pawnee, illinois
Posts: 71
[B]I have owned many types of goodyear tires and have never had trouble with any of them. They look good and buy what you can afford.
B]
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-01-2011
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
yea im in the market for tires and im torn between another set of BFG all terrains or a set of duratracs...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-01-2011
SteelDirigible's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
x2.
Don't listen to anyone who bashes Goodyear.
unless it's the wrangler rt/s...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-01-2011
XYZrealisation's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: America, Texas
Posts: 93
@zabeard

Who am I to really say.?. I have seen goodyears from brand new to end and every cycle they have been through. 2yrs of it. Also note that every1 at 2 Discount Tire that I have talked and worked with (from people who have been in the business for 1yr to 30yrs) will tell you goodyears are some of the worst tires you can own, (also note some made in China.) If you have had good with them then I am glad that it was made worth your money, but the facts point toward the majority of goodyears are unreliable. Nittos are most often rugged tires and don't provide the smoothest ride quality but are a good quality tire. Often because they are usually so heavy they normally need to be static balanced as opposed to the regular balance. That and people do complain of the ride at times.


@98liftedranger

don't really care for a bashing contest, yes I may not fully spell words out just to shortcut, but what do you expect from every1 or as you would prefer everyone.? Am I in obligation to say laugh out loud as opposed to lol? Does everyone here fully spell out every single word they post? I don't think so.


Every1 seems to want to bash the guy who says something negative, but the thread was asking if he should get these tires or not. basically asking ever1z opinion. Is every1 in obligation to say the same thing? If he wants to get the tires then that is gr8, if he doesn't then thats ok to. just a harmless post about what I have known that's all.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-01-2011
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
the only reason why people bash a certain tire brand is because they dont maintain them properly...i.e proper PSI and regular rotation
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-01-2011
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZrealisation View Post
(also note some made in China.)
who gives a rats *** where theyre made?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-01-2011
XYZrealisation's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: America, Texas
Posts: 93
@djfllmn

People abuse tires of all brands, the same abuse that goes on goodyears goes on other tire brands to. Some brands stick out as crappier than others, and some stick out as the best of tire brands, that's just how it goes. And who gives a rat's *** where they are made? Well I would've thought you would of known why considering you proudly display the Confederate flag on the front of your truck. There are many reason to care of which would take to long to explain and many people do in fact care. Economics and politics relate to the reason why. We buy American, we support other American workers which is in support of our economy. We buy from China we take dollars out of the US into china from which they now OWN us. Although I am fine with Japan and Canada because they respect us and support our Nation.

Last edited by XYZrealisation; 09-01-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-01-2011
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
whatever you say
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-01-2011
ranger024x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nova
Posts: 5,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZrealisation View Post
@djfllmn

.. Although I a fine with Japan and Canada because they respect us and support our Nation.
you do realize that japan and china own most of the us debt right?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-01-2011
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZrealisation View Post
@djfllmn

People abuse tires of all brands, the same abuse that goes on goodyears goes on other tire brands to. Some brands stick out as crappier than others, and some stick out as the best of tire brands, that's just how it goes. And who gives a rat's *** where they are made? Well I would've thought you would of known why considering you proudly display the Confederate flag on the front of your truck. There are many reason to care of which would take to long to explain and many people do in fact care. Economics and politics relate to the reason why. We buy American, we support other American workers which is in support of our economy. We buy from China we take dollars out of the US into china from which they now OWN us. Although I am fine with Japan and Canada because they respect us and support our Nation.
i actually find it quite funny what other countries opinions of us are haha...especially watching top gear...its not worth worrying about what everybody else thinks of us
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-01-2011
XYZrealisation's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: America, Texas
Posts: 93
@ranger024x4

yes primarily China, especially shown when china bought what 20% of the nasdaq. Many factors lead to this but if the US can be supported by its own citizens, then maybe things could get better.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-01-2011
Taylor's Avatar
Ive been dubbed....an old volk
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RangerDave View Post
you looking what im paying for this week. its been an expensive week working my a$$ off. 60 hours this week to pay for this truck. oh and school too
This is true Dave. I didnt think about the entire rebuild of your truck lol.

So when do you plan on getting them? If you get them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to Trade: TX: 5 pathfinder a/t tires 31/10.5/15 for street tires Sinic Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 0 12-10-2010 08:57 PM
WTT 30in tires for 31+in tires(CT) tom kalmanidis Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 0 06-09-2009 09:47 AM
Tires, Tires, Tires... zabeard Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 76 03-05-2008 08:32 PM
finally doing it.... buying new tires! click to find out hich tires... FMD Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 9 02-04-2007 11:36 AM
Need bigger tires but what tires? resqdude General Ford Ranger Discussion 48 06-07-2006 12:53 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:44 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.