General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice.

Hopefully I get a little more input this time around.
I posted the problem almost a year ago and got zero response, still having trans glitches and am looking for a little advice.

The problem I posted a while back :
Ive got an '04 4.0 xlt 4x4 with an auto trans. 48K on the clock. Just the other day I was cruising between 50-60mph and I heard a loud thump and my truck kind of shook like I ran something over....looked in the mirror,didnt see anything so I figured it was a pothole. Couple miles later it happened again and continued happening anywhere from every 2-5 miles. WTF, transmission shifts fine everywhere, no noise, vibrations or anything and it only happens between 50-65mph. I went home, checked the trans fluid it was just above the bottom of the hatching so I added a little, right around the top of the hatch now and it seems to be doing it less (I think) there seems to be no pattern to it or related to anything I am doing with the brakes or throttle, it happens less now but did it once on my way to work this AM.
This seems to ONLY happen in the winter, it has only maybe once done it this spring/summer/fall BUT it does shift hard/shudder between 1st and 2nd 85% of the time. My problem is that the problem is intermittent, I still have a powertrain warranty and want to get it fixed before it goes out and/or my warranty expires but I am afraid they will not be able to recreate the problem and just take my money or even if they do find it shifting hard between 1 and 2 they will just shrug it off. If they look at it and find nothing its $150 to me which I really dont want to spend ATM and the problem is still there, if they do fix it, its only $100 and my truck is fixed anybody have any suggestions? It is going in regardless to have the pinion seal replaced, just not sure I want to fork up more dough to have them "look" at my trans. and find nothing.

Old 10-28-2008
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yhea, get it fixed

Old 10-28-2008
Level I Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Have the ATF flushed/changed and replace the filter. Make sure to use ONLY Mercon V if it calls for Mercon V.

Old 10-28-2008
Originally Posted by Takeda
Have the ATF flushed/changed and replace the filter. Make sure to use ONLY Mercon V if it calls for Mercon V.
Bummer, not the answer I was looking for warranty doesn't cover a flush. Do the symptoms sound like dirty/old fluid and filter or is that just a temporary fix to cover up the real problem? I don't want to flush and fill it to prolong its life till just outside of the warranty then have it shlt on me.

Last edited by Yamanube; 10-28-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-03-2008
Well, I brought my truck in to have the pinion and diff cover seals replaced and told them to take it for a spin just to see if they though something was wrong with the transmission once they got it done. Sure enough they felt the same thing I did and are taking it apart today. It better be covered by the warranty....hopefully a new transmission? Is it common to have transmission problems around 60k?

Old 11-03-2008
Please report you findings. I had the exact same problem, feels like hitting a pothole or you just got hit form behind.

I did a trany flush with new filter and it fixed it, although I would like to know what was happening.

Old 11-03-2008
Hopefully they will be calling me today with an update and I will post once I get more info. They where originally trying to sell me into a flush and filter but wanted $150+ for it. I didn't want to do that to "relieve" the problem for a while only to have my tranny go after the warranty expired.
But yeah the jolt on the highway was pretty violent, felt like the brakes just lock up quick then let go and the shudder between 2nd and 3rd was pretty gross too.

Old 11-03-2008
Just talked to the Stealership and they said they had to replace a solenoid in the trans...problem solved. Ill be glad to have my truck back this Taurus sucks. They also said I should think about front brakes, if I want they can do it while its in there. $300 and some change but they have a $25 mail in rebate. Ummm no Ill just do that myself thanks.

Old 11-03-2008
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Which solenoid was it?

Rich

Old 11-03-2008
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
Which solenoid was it?

Rich
She didn't say, I will find out when I pick it up. I am unfamiliar with the specifics of the transmission, how many are there?

Old 11-03-2008
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Prolly the overdrive or the LTC solenoid. That happened to the wife's car. Overdrive solenoid went out, started randomly dropping out of OD and eventually would ever hit OD. Tried the fluid and filter change, then took it to the dealership under warranty.

Old 11-03-2008
Originally Posted by Johnbaum13
Prolly the overdrive or the LTC solenoid. That happened to the wife's car. Overdrive solenoid went out, started randomly dropping out of OD and eventually would ever hit OD. Tried the fluid and filter change, then took it to the dealership under warranty.
I am pretty sure it was not the OD solenoid, last winter when it was a recurring problem (mainly the first time it happend and scared the sh*t outta me) I figured maybe there was a problem with the OD because it would only happen around 55-65 mph so I tried turning the OD off and it continued to happen at exactly the same speed (range).

Old 11-03-2008
LTC then maybe. If the converter was locking and unlocking sporadically, it might cause this. When you get the truck back, ask them, and be sure to let us know.

Old 11-03-2008
EPC solenoid was replaced to remedy the hard/shudder shift. Not sure if this will solve the "bang" that I was getting but if that comes back I will sure as hell bring it in asap.

Old 01-21-2009
The way you describe it I have the same problem, Did it help or you still getting the thump?

Old 01-22-2009
I sent you a PM, but yes it definitly solved the problem.

Old 12-30-2018
Safe Mode

Something like this occurred on my 99 Ranger. The OD drive solenoid had failed and I had to run in Non-OD mode. The transmission would sometimes go into safe mode and hard shift which gave the hard impact sensation that was described. This would occur in OD or Non-OD mode but mostly in OD mode. I had the transmission rebuilt and was told 2nd gear was basically gone and the OD solenoid was not working.