Hey guys I've been working on this project for about 2 months now. Been posting regular updates over on FRF but decided to share it here too.
Scroll down for pix or read a little back story: got my first Ranger, a 2001 Edge 4.0 SOHC, back in September. It was running alright but not great. I popped the valve covers to do a simple gasket job (valve cover gaskets were leaking) only to find I had a busted timing chain guard on the backside, meaning I would need to pull the engine to fix it.
Decided to get a junkyard special (the 2002) to swap in to make the repair faster. Did that but the engine ran like ****, even worse than the 01 that I had just pulled out. Most likely due to leaky valves (see below). So I decided to bite the bullet and overhaul the motor. Now on to the good stuff
I'll spare you guys all the tear down details.
Here's the block lookin' all ugly and sad
After scraping the old gasket material off with a blade, I hit the block head gasket surfaces with a block sander, 400 then 600 grit. Did the same on all the other gasket mating surfaces (on the heads, intakes, valve covers, front cover, timing cover, oil pan, ladder frame, etc etc...)
After some wire brush action. Those crevices are damn hard to get down into. Took about 10 hours in total to get all the rust and crappy gray paint off
Masking about half done, lookin neat. New freeze plugs in too
Masking done, notice how spiffy the block looks after wire brushing
Lookin purrtty after a few coats. Another project in the background (brother fell asleep at the wheel and smashed his bug off a boulder - dumbass)
I think this is after the second coat of paint. Looking 1,000 times better
O_O oooh yea baby. That's my block
I love peeling off the masking tape and seeing clean lines and stuff. Makes me feel all fuzzy in my pants
Honed the cylinders with one of those ball-type hones. Left a pretty good surface finish if you ask me but scratched up the head gasket surface a little on entering the cylinder and also sprayed a thick abrasive dust all over the freshly cleaned block. ****. Had to clean it all over again. Oh well
Put some new valve stem seals in. I also did a valve job on these heads a few weeks back, I'll post those pix up later
Got the crankshaft in, main bearings, caps, and rear main oil seal in. Silicon gasket sealer used on the corners of the rear main bearing cap (not visible). Notice how nice the ladder frame gasket surface looks?
I hope the rear main oil seal is in good enough. Nobody likes leaky engines
So while I was waiting for the correct piston rings to come in (damn eBay seller sent the wrong ones) my block developed a bit of surface rust. Should have known a cast iron block with fresh surfaces would have rusted in a cold damp garage. To be fair, I did oil it and cover it up. No biggy though
So like the idiot I am I was looking at the block wrong. I put piston #1 in cylinder #6 and facing the wrong way, #2 in #5 etc. So I put all the pistons in wrong. Those arrows are supposed to be pointing the other direction. I guess its better to see it now rather than down the road
After a few hours more I got all the pistons back in the right way
Lookin damn good. All oiled up and ready for action. Next thing up is to put the timing gear in
Plastic bagged this time around to prevent any more surface rusting
So let me re-iterate: I am an idiot. I was moving the harmonic balancer (damn heavy btw) with oily fingers and it slipped out of my grip and landed right on the oil pump, breaking the pickup tube in half. FCK! Going to grab the old one out of the '01 engine tomorrow