2.3L getting horrible gas mileage. - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech General discussion of 2.3L and 2.5L I4 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-11-2007
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
2.3L getting horrible gas mileage.

my truck has been getting horrible gas mileage, i know my ODO is off because the larger tires, but it uses way to much gas.

if the timing is off would it cause the truck to get bad gas mileage?

the thing runs great, it just sucks gas down like its nothing, i made a trip east lansing (150ish miles) and used a half tank of gas.

i know my o2 sensors are getting lazy, but they are still working "ok".

would the gearing along with the tire size make that much of a difference?
im not sure what it is, i put a k&n filter on the end of the MAF with an adapter, i don't think thats whats causing it.

i made three trips across town back and forth to my friends house moving some stuff and used a 1/4 tank.

my truck is a 97 and i have a gauge cluster out of an 01 , would that have anything todo with it?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-11-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: College Station
Posts: 2,781
hey, thats not bad, ive got the newer 2.3L and only get 120ish miles on a half tank.. we have the same size tires too..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-11-2007
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
i have a 20gal tank though, at one point i got 400ish miles to a tank.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-11-2007
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
now days, im luck to see 270 miles to a tank of gas.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-11-2007
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
it could be alot of things. Bigger tires, plugs and wires, bad gas, the cold air intake, lots and lots of possibilities
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-11-2007
johnson's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NEVADA
Posts: 281
I only get 300 miles a tank in my 2.3 ex cab... stock everything.... but i also drive 95-98 miles per hour to and from home every day ( i drive the autobahn every day.)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-11-2007
Steve_O113's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 562
every production car/truck or what ever, is supposed to get 300 miles per tank(s) or more.

150 miles is a good number to shoot for, for a 1/2 tank. i try to get 70 miles/quarter, after the change for tire size it works out to about 17mpg
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-11-2007
greygooseranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,293
Daniel, when did this start? It is getting colder out now, and I have noticed a decrease in fuel economy. My tire pressure was also low due to the cooler weather, and after putting a few pounds back in, I noticed it went up some. If you have the org. o2 sensors, its time to change them. Plugs, wires, and a fuel filter might be good as well. Also, did I see you mention something about a gear?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-11-2007
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
i think we talked about this before, sometimes he dosent listen.

you need two new o2 sensors.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-11-2007
Steve_O113's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 562
how much do those run
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-11-2007
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
around 45 bucks each
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-11-2007
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
just base line Daniel because we have close to same trucks i have been pulling around 21 city every week.

did about 19 hw 2 weekends ago...

just replaced the fuel filter O2 sensors and air filter and it went from 18 city to 21...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-11-2007
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by greygooseranger
Daniel, when did this start? It is getting colder out now, and I have noticed a decrease in fuel economy. My tire pressure was also low due to the cooler weather, and after putting a few pounds back in, I noticed it went up some. If you have the org. o2 sensors, its time to change them. Plugs, wires, and a fuel filter might be good as well. Also, did I see you mention something about a gear?
ive replaced everything but the o2 sensors.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-11-2007
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE
i think we talked about this before, sometimes he dosent listen.

you need two new o2 sensors.
bah humbug!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-11-2007
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
just base line Daniel because we have close to same trucks i have been pulling around 21 city every week.

did about 19 hw 2 weekends ago...

just replaced the fuel filter O2 sensors and air filter and it went from 18 city to 21...
thats good to hear i guess, im going to a 4.10 gear soon and im going to fix the speedo, hopefully it will help.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-11-2007
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speedin2.3
bah humbug!
christmas preasents?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-11-2007
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE
christmas preasents?
early christmas presents?
lol.

the guy from autozone never called me, im going to put in an app again.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-11-2007
TireIron's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Methuen, MA
Posts: 790
well you only need to replace the FRONT O2 sensor as the rear has nothing to do with how the truck runs. The 3.73s and 31s definitly dont help. And are you sure you have a 20 GAL fuel tank? did you swap that in yourself because the short bed standard cab 4-cyl came with the 17 gal tanks...

The fuelfilter should be replaced once a year and when were the plugs and wires done and what plugs did you use? Your K&N cone filter certainly didn't help with anything but unless it has gotten oil on the MAF (which it probably has) then it doesn't hurt much either aside from letting more dirt and dust into the engine. The factory air box and paper filter flows WAY more than the 300 or so CFM that this engine pulls in.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-11-2007
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireIron
well you only need to replace the FRONT O2 sensor as the rear has nothing to do with how the truck runs. The 3.73s and 31s definitly dont help. And are you sure you have a 20 GAL fuel tank? did you swap that in yourself because the short bed standard cab 4-cyl came with the 17 gal tanks...

The fuelfilter should be replaced once a year and when were the plugs and wires done and what plugs did you use? Your K&N cone filter certainly didn't help with anything but unless it has gotten oil on the MAF (which it probably has) then it doesn't hurt much either aside from letting more dirt and dust into the engine. The factory air box and paper filter flows WAY more than the 300 or so CFM that this engine pulls in.
my truck is a long bed, they come with 20-21 gal tanks, ive put almost 21gal into it before when filling it up.

the fuel filter was replaced 6-8 months ago, the tuneup was done when i got the truck 40k/3ish years ago, we used autolite wires(i think) and motorcraft plugs.
i guess i could re gap the plugs.

if i could run the stock air filter i would go back to it, but im lacking the part of the airbox that the MAF sits in.
i cleaned the MAF not to long ago and it seemed to make the idle a little better but didn't help with the mpg issue.

ive also ran seafoam into the brake booster line and tons of smoke poured out of the tail pipe lol.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine rebuild and now getting horrible gas mileage Bpat1017 General Ford Ranger Discussion 5 12-28-2012 11:34 PM
Horrible gas mileage :/ ?!?!!?!? TonyIce05 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 14 12-22-2011 03:58 PM
Help my horrible gas mileage please!!!! geikoman170 General Ford Ranger Discussion 8 03-16-2011 04:44 PM
Truck getting horrible gas mileage Dildoyle99 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 8 01-26-2011 12:16 AM
Horrible gas mileage, suggestions? Southern4L General Ford Ranger Discussion 21 12-21-2006 04:19 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:17 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.