Horrible gas mileage, suggestions? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-17-2006
Southern4L's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 55
Horrible gas mileage, suggestions?

My ranger has like 28 in oversized tires but I don't know if that's really the problem or if my gas gauge is just stupid..but I don't have a "heavy foot" and i go about...80 some miles on a half tank...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-17-2006
bwester04's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 2,641
ouch.. how many miles does the truck have? It could be in need of a good tune up, along with changing the fuel filter, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-17-2006
Southern4L's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwester04
ouch.. how many miles does the truck have? It could be in need of a good tune up, along with changing the fuel filter, etc.
It's got 114 thousand...Yeah i was thinking it might be the filter but of course at the time when i tried to explain that to my mom i couldn't remember that damn word...filter...filter...lmao blonde moment...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-18-2006
jtslmn720's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent State, Kent Ohio
Posts: 7,367
how sounds like you just need a total overhaul... plugs, filters, everything... alos check your exhaust becuase when mine broke i dropped to close to 14-15 mpg and since i fixed it, im at 130miles with 3/4 left give or take a few 1/16 per the gas gauge which is usually really close...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-18-2006
Machine090767's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,410
my truck is a 4.0, has steel wheels, 32's, brushguard, rollbar is a 4x4, (basically heavy stuff) and i get around 15 mpg. like mentioned earlier, it's time for a tune up.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-18-2006
Southern4L's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 55
Hmm how much is a tune up?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-18-2006
Marcaronio's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X2XLT
how sounds like you just need a total overhaul... plugs, filters, everything... alos check your exhaust becuase when mine broke i dropped to close to 14-15 mpg and since i fixed it, im at 130miles with 3/4 left give or take a few 1/16 per the gas gauge which is usually really close...
I have a 98 3.0 4x4 32" a/t's 4.10s. I get around 13.5 to 14mpg. I used to get a little bit better mileage so I replaced my fuel filter, spark plugs, and wires and it has made no noticeable change. I have no CEL on right now but was wondering if one of my O2 sensors could be bad even without the CEL. Then you said to check your exhaust and I remembered that mine fell off not too long ago. I have stock exhaust manifolds and pipe back to the cat and then a flowmaster single in dual out muffler. Both of the exhaust pipes rusted and fell off. Basically my muffler is single in and just two holes in the back. Beside making my truck loud and annoying could that be causing my poor mileage as well? If so can I just weld a couple 90 degree pipes to the back pointing down? Would that fix the noise and the mileage?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-18-2006
Needforspeed3685's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lowell, AR
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcaronio
I have stock exhaust manifolds and pipe back to the cat and then a flowmaster single in dual out muffler. Both of the exhaust pipes rusted and fell off. Basically my muffler is single in and just two holes in the back. Beside making my truck loud and annoying could that be causing my poor mileage as well? If so can I just weld a couple 90 degree pipes to the back pointing down? Would that fix the noise and the mileage?
The muffler won't make a bit of difference in your gas mileage if you clamp/weld on some short downtubes like you mentioned. All this will do is direct the exhaust gasses down instead of directly backwards and ultimately wont effect backpressure or flow. To make the truck quieter, you need to direct the sound somewhere else other than under your bed where it resonates very annoyingly into the cab. This means welding on some tail-pipes that exit under the bumper, or some side-pipes to exit before the wheel well.

You've started working on the fuel economy problem, but just need to finish the job to notice the effects of the plugs and other stuff.

Start by disconnecting the negative terminal to your battery. This will give the capacitors in your PCM time to discharge and erase the previously "learned" settings.
Using an Electronic Parts Cleaner (CRC makes some - available at most auto parts stores) clean all the sensors along your intake system. This includes your MAF (first sensor, by the filter) IAT (closer to the throttle body), IAC valve (ON the throttle body) and TPS.

After you get all the sensors cleaned and dry, install a new filter and reconnect the battery. Start the truck and let it reach a steady idle, then leave it to warm up. Once it's reached optimum operating temperature (middle of temp gauge), take a drive and give the PCM time to re-learn the driving habits, fuel curve, and other necessary bits of data.

When you fill up next, put a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in. This combined with the clean intake system, smooth fuel delivery, and fresh ignition system will combine to increase your mileage!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-18-2006
CadiLLacPimPin's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 239
Quote:
Hmm how much is a tune up?
Depends on what you replace. But without looking up prices on everything I would put it right around 100 bucks.
A tune up (to me at least) includes: new plugs, wires, distrubtor cap and rotor (if equipped), fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve, and use some Seafoam in the intake. If you haven't heard of Seafoam, check it out. There was a thread in Off Topic, I believe, a few days ago about the stuff.
You might also consider changing the o2 sensor, not sure how much they are but usually not more than 35 or 40 bucks for the most part. When those get cogged up they can wreak havoc on your mileage.
Good luck :
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-18-2006
jtslmn720's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent State, Kent Ohio
Posts: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needforspeed3685
The muffler won't make a bit of difference in your gas mileage if you clamp/weld on some short downtubes like you mentioned. All this will do is direct the exhaust gasses down instead of directly backwards and ultimately wont effect backpressure or flow. To make the truck quieter, you need to direct the sound somewhere else other than under your bed where it resonates very annoyingly into the cab. This means welding on some tail-pipes that exit under the bumper, or some side-pipes to exit before the wheel well.
if hes missing all that piping then hes loosing loads of backpressure... the only thing diffrent in my truck pre exhaust fix and post is the fact that the exhaust is fixed.... and im driving even harder then i did before because i have power back...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-18-2006
reelfishin's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 157
Keep in mind that there are things other than a tune up that can cause poor milage.
A slipping trans or clutch, dragging brakes, or a severely out of align front end will all reduce milage. A bad thermostat will also lower you milage quite drastically, if the engine doesn't reach full operating temp, your milage will suffer greatly.

Does the temp guage reach the Normal mark? (Usually they read about 1/3 to 1/2 way across the gauge when warm).

If all else looks fine, and if you either don't know or if it's been a long time since a major tune up, I would start there first. Like stated above, new plugs and wires, new fuel and air filters, and a new pvc valve are all part of a tune up.

Also, is there any sign of the check engine light on? (Also make sure it's working and that it lights up when you first turn the key on).
Does the truck run the same as it always has? Did it ever get better milage?

The 114K miles shouldn't be too much of a concern so long as it's been well maintained and not abused.
Which 6 cylinder engine do you have? Manual or auto trans? (If it's an auto trans I would be more concerned about the trans with high milage than the engine).

Last edited by reelfishin; 12-18-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-18-2006
DaveO's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chester, MA
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern4L
My ranger has like 28 in oversized tires but I don't know if that's really the problem or if my gas gauge is just stupid..but I don't have a "heavy foot" and i go about...80 some miles on a half tank...
Try doing a more accurate test than just looking at the gas gauge. Ford had a TSB on fuel gauges. Mine never got fixed and it too goes down fast, but then slows down.

Fill your tank up. Use your trip mileage. Set it to 0 miles and drive for 100 miles or so and fill up and see how much gas you actually used. Then you'll have a better idea for sure what your actual mileage is.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-18-2006
this_is_nascar's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gloucester Hts, NJ
Posts: 436
Saying you go 80-miles on a half tank means absolutely nothing by itself. Have you done the calculations to figure out your true gas mileage? I'm affected by the fuel-pump sensor TSB and because of that I do 100-miles per half-tank reading. I can then go well over 150-additional miles before my low-fuel indicator goes on.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-18-2006
FireRanger's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
FYI, ford has to invent a fuel gauge worth it's wait in possum crap. The only accurate way is to fill up, reset the trip odometer, and drive until you need to fill up again. Divide the mileage by the gallons pumped for your actual fuel mileage. Do this a few times to confirm accuracy.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-20-2006
Southern4L's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 55
Yeah I know I've been doing the trip mileage guage and so far a whole tank gets me about....215 ish...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-20-2006
FordRangerGirl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ft. Morgan, Colorado
Posts: 94
I changed my spark plugs, fuel fitler, and fuel pump (the Ranger was sick) and coil and I am getting 18-20 on a full tank (18 Gal). And that includes my lift, tires, and suspension.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-21-2006
Blades24's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Michigan & Kansas
Posts: 994
12mpg city 14highway, and I'm starting to be proud of it lol!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-21-2006
icb12's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: there
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordRangerGirl
I changed my spark plugs, fuel fitler, and fuel pump (the Ranger was sick) and coil and I am getting 18-20 on a full tank (18 Gal). And that includes my lift, tires, and suspension.
whats wrong with that gas mileage.. and your worried about going to college and back with that kind of mileage.. sheesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades24
12mpg city 14highway, and I'm starting to be proud of it lol!!
haha.. ouch buddy. Think she has you beat though.

as for the mileage.. there is lots of great suggestions. plugs, injector cleaner, fuel filter, air filter, sensor cleaning. all part of the normal maintenance really. cost--I dunno maybe 100$ plus gas to the nearest autozone (but sounds like that could be the expensive part)
iain
also. my 98 4.0 gets about 340 a tank (tank is 19.6 gallons, I put in about 18-18.5 usually). and im on 32s. you got stick shift?? if so granny shift it helps.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-21-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
wish i got 18mpg i have done everything and replaced everything i can with the best stuff out there. best for me is 16mpg once in a blue moon normal is 14-15 and lowest has been 6mpg last winter lol so it is the weather gas and what you have put into your truck that makes up what you get for mpg and remeer the winter aditive and cold air is more dence so your engine will work harder to get the right mix it needs with the air also. i just dont think about it anymore lol
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-21-2006
Blades24's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Michigan & Kansas
Posts: 994
I already know what I have to do to get it back up. 1st) Find a way to get the check engine light off, we are 95% thinking that the computer is sending bad signals. 2) Put a muffler back on and replace all three o2 sensors. 3) lay off the gas lol!!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-21-2006
Marcaronio's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcaronio
I have a 98 3.0 4x4 32" a/t's 4.10s. I get around 13.5 to 14mpg. I used to get a little bit better mileage so I replaced my fuel filter, spark plugs, and wires and it has made no noticeable change. I have no CEL on right now but was wondering if one of my O2 sensors could be bad even without the CEL. Then you said to check your exhaust and I remembered that mine fell off not too long ago. I have stock exhaust manifolds and pipe back to the cat and then a flowmaster single in dual out muffler. Both of the exhaust pipes rusted and fell off. Basically my muffler is single in and just two holes in the back. Beside making my truck loud and annoying could that be causing my poor mileage as well? If so can I just weld a couple 90 degree pipes to the back pointing down? Would that fix the noise and the mileage?
What should I try first? I am still getting poor gas mileage.

1. Put pipes back on the output of my muffler
2. Check o2 sensors (they are expensive, after I remove them from the truck how do I test them?)
3. Use seafoam through gas tank and brake vacuum hose
4. Replace PCV

Thanks,

Marc
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-21-2006
Rooks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcaronio
What should I try first? I am still getting poor gas mileage.

1. Put pipes back on the output of my muffler
2. Check o2 sensors (they are expensive, after I remove them from the truck how do I test them?)
3. Use seafoam through gas tank and brake vacuum hose
4. Replace PCV

Thanks,

Marc
I'm not exactly the most experienced here, but I'd say the SeaFoam. Go pick a couple cans up for $20 bucks and see how much it helps. It's the cheapest and it's just a good idea in general.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine rebuild and now getting horrible gas mileage Bpat1017 General Ford Ranger Discussion 5 12-28-2012 11:34 PM
Horrible gas mileage :/ ?!?!!?!? TonyIce05 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 14 12-22-2011 03:58 PM
Help my horrible gas mileage please!!!! geikoman170 General Ford Ranger Discussion 8 03-16-2011 04:44 PM
Truck getting horrible gas mileage Dildoyle99 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 8 01-26-2011 12:16 AM
2.3L getting horrible gas mileage. 5speedin2.3 2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech 18 09-11-2007 10:50 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:01 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.