$350 labor to change oil pan, parts please!!! - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-11-2008
Jeremy102579's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 431
$350 labor to change oil pan, parts please!!!

i found a guy 40 miles from home who is only gonna charge me $350 labor to replace my oil pan on my 1994 3.0 ranger 4x4. truck is rusted to heck but i cant afford a new truck.

all mechanics around here want $500-$600+

is it a good idea to have the oil pump replaced also since the pan will be off, the pump is inside the pan, correct?

where is the cheapest place to pick up a new pan/gasket/pump and new bolts to hold the pan on?

thanks

ebay is like $50 for the pan and autozone.com wants $129.99+ for the pump.

any advice is greatly appreciated?

1994 3.0 4x4 with 169,000 miles on it
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-11-2008
Tearloch's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Niagara Falls soon....
Posts: 467
Cant help ya much.... BUT GET TO ONE OF OUR MEETS!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
I would look at the pump, if it's gummed up, change it. Me personally, i woudl change it either way though.

Just do it yourself if you can and have the tools, it's not too bad to get to.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-11-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
my advice to you, get a pan from ford and get the "up-dated" gasket, the one that snaps to the pan.

you do know the engine has to come out to change the pan right. be prepared for other "issues" that the mechanic or shade tree guy may come across.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2008
Jeremy102579's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearloch View Post
Cant help ya much.... BUT GET TO ONE OF OUR MEETS!
when is the next meet man?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2008
Jeremy102579's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
my advice to you, get a pan from ford and get the "up-dated" gasket, the one that snaps to the pan.

you do know the engine has to come out to change the pan right. be prepared for other "issues" that the mechanic or shade tree guy may come across.
yeh, me and the mechanic know about moving the engine.

shade tree guy? please explain......
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-12-2008
Jeremy102579's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 431
can someone please give me the OEM Ford Part numbers for the oil pan w/oil level sensor and part number for oil pump.

thanks.

jr
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-12-2008
DaGGer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East Windsor, CT
Posts: 919
I've done this to my truck, the gasket I used was blue and had o rings that the bolts go through this time. I had my transmission out at that time so lifting the engine was easier but I think that you can lift it enough to pull that pan off without pulling the whole engine up. Just lift it a few inches and then see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-12-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
that blue rubber gasket with the brass rings is garbage. trust me, i know. warranty work sucks!

fel-pro sells one that snaps to the pan, it costs around 35 bucks and will never leak or spit its self out like the rubber ones do!

it may not be listed for your year but it will work with the new pan. ford also makes the same style gasket but may cost more.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-12-2008
Jeremy102579's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 431
ok guys, called up the dealership and got these prices.

Oil Pan - $67.53 + tax
New style Gasket = $51.26 + tax
OIl Pump = $123.81 + tax

Can i find these part cheaper online or where can i get the fel-pro gasket.

Is it worth paying $67 for the ford pan or should i get one at autozone for $50.00??

found 2 felpro gaskets on this website for the 3.0 motor, which one is the one i should get?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...Vh=1994%20Ford


JR

Last edited by Jeremy102579; 08-12-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-12-2008
D.
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy102579 View Post
ok guys, called up the dealership and got these prices.

Oil Pan - $67.53 + tax
New style Gasket = $51.26 + tax
OIl Pump = $123.81 + tax

Can i find these part cheaper online or where can i get the fel-pro gasket.

Is it worth paying $67 for the ford pan or should i get one at autozone for $50.00??

found 2 felpro gaskets on this website for the 3.0 motor, which one is the one i should get?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...Vh=1994%20Ford


JR
Get the parts, bring your truck to a meet, Brian and I will put it all on for you. Oil pan gasket or changing the pan is an easy task IMO.

Your going to need 5 quarts of oil and a new filter as well ( oil change ).

Our next meet is Sunday the 24th at FMD's place. We plan on doing a meet on the 30th as well.

Your cost outside of parts? Bring something to eat or order a pizza/wings.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-13-2008
Jeremy102579's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Get the parts, bring your truck to a meet, Brian and I will put it all on for you. Oil pan gasket or changing the pan is an easy task IMO.

Your going to need 5 quarts of oil and a new filter as well ( oil change ).

Our next meet is Sunday the 24th at FMD's place. We plan on doing a meet on the 30th as well.

Your cost outside of parts? Bring something to eat or order a pizza/wings.

you do know that the motor has to be lifted out to change this oil pan, correct?

can i throw a case of beer in with the pizza and wings?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-13-2008
casfz1's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: southgate, mi
Posts: 1,989
I know D. does not drink beer so for him it would have to Mountain Dew.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-13-2008
RangerMuse's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy102579 View Post
you do know that the motor has to be lifted out to change this oil pan, correct?

can i throw a case of beer in with the pizza and wings?
Pretty sure when D. says its an easy task in his opinion he knows what he is doing. Take him up on this deal for sure
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-13-2008
Jeremy102579's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by casfz1 View Post
I know D. does not drink beer so for him it would have to Mountain Dew.
Lots of Dew it would be.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-13-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMuse View Post
Pretty sure when D. says its an easy task in his opinion he knows what he is doing. Take him up on this deal for sure
its not an easy task on the older TIB/TTB trucks.

the engine will have to be completely removed. there is no way around it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-22-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Berwick
Posts: 1
Hi everyone, I too am replacing my oil pan on my 97 ranger 3.0 4x4. I can not get the oil pan back in. I pulled the old one out the front. I tried it the same way for install but it did not work. I tried from the back, keep in mine I had the engine hoisted up a good 5 inches and the tranny jacked up about 3 inches. I can not get the pan by the tranny to engine shield or the oil pump. I am wondering if I can slide the oil pan up there withe oil pump in the pan and then bolt oil pump to the block? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'99 3.0 Oil pan gasket change w00tplayaw00t 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 3 01-23-2013 06:59 PM
'99 3.0 Oil pan gasket change w00tplayaw00t Drivetrain Tech 0 01-05-2013 01:18 PM
Oil pan gasket change klc317 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 4 09-25-2010 09:09 AM
98 4x4 4.0 - How hard to change the oil pan gasket? ElleShooTiger 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 1 09-10-2010 11:23 AM
Oil leaks, oil pan...front cover? optikal illushun 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 6 05-09-2010 02:44 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:24 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.