First thread, I really did try to search - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-12-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pikeville, Ky
Posts: 4
First thread, I really did try to search

I think this may be along the lines of the water pump going bad, but I thought I'd ask.

My temp gauge is showing fine....and this doesn't happen as long as the truck is idling, but when I shut it off this evening, coolant was running decently steady out of somewhere behind the fan, in between the fan and the radiator, but I cannot spot where just yet. I am going to take the fan shroud off tomorrow and see if i can duplicate it.

It seriously looks like it is coming out of the center of the clutch on the fan......
Any ideas?? it just leaks when I turn it off for about 3 mins...but no leaks when it runs.....odd.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-13-2007
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
huh. crazy. no clue. What year? What engine? etc?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pikeville, Ky
Posts: 4
Hey man, I thought i put all that in, I guess it's just on my profile...... its a 1995 4x4 with a 4.0 5spd...manual hubs etc...its been running beautiful, its got about 100k miles on it.....

I need to fix it tho, i have no problem taking it apart, I just wonder what needs to be replaced, hate for this thing to give me problems down the road....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2007
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
Hello,

(I was a OEM water pump engineer for 6 years)

It's your water pumps seal. Only way to fix it is to replace the water pump.


What you describe is not uncommon. The waterpumps bearing rides in a different location than when it's stationary **if the bearing has excess play**.
Since the seal is made of two rings that touch each other.. one attached to the shaft.. and the other to the housing.. as the bearing rotates the faces align with each other and seal the presurized coolant. When it stops rotating they become mis-aligned because of a worn bearing and develops a leak. A new waterpump doesn't leak because the bearing has next to no axial movement. (short explaination.. it gets deeper if you really want to know)


Rich
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 886
Sounds like you need a water pump.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-16-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 30
Hope I am not hijacking. My '04 4.0 loses a very small amount of coolant. By small I mean like 6 oz per 5k miles. I can smell it burning off in the engine bay, but can't spot the leak. There is also a slight ticking comming from the fan area. I do not think it is an internal tick. I have 55k miles now. Could both of these problems combined indicate the WP and should I just replace it and see if it fixes both?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-16-2007
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfx4
Hope I am not hijacking. My '04 4.0 loses a very small amount of coolant. By small I mean like 6 oz per 5k miles. I can smell it burning off in the engine bay, but can't spot the leak. There is also a slight ticking comming from the fan area. I do not think it is an internal tick. I have 55k miles now. Could both of these problems combined indicate the WP and should I just replace it and see if it fixes both?
On the bottom side of the waterpumps snout there is a hole. (top and bottom) The top hole lets steam out and the bottom hole lets liquid drain out. 5 minutes after you shut it off look up in there with a mirror and see if you can see steam. If you do the water pumps seal is going bad.

Otherwise.. I donno. Look the radiator over very carefully.

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-16-2007
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
sounds like a weep hole leak... if that pump has one...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-16-2007
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfx4
There is also a slight ticking comming from the fan area. I do not think it is an internal tick. I have 55k miles now. Could both of these problems combined indicate the WP and should I just replace it and see if it fixes both?
Im going to hijack the thread for a moment...

I am having that same ticking issue as well. Have about the same amount of miles as you do (49,500).

I cant really pinpoint where this ticking noise is coming from, although i do know it speeds up as you step on the gas. Its not noticable inside the cab, only out.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-16-2007
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4
Im going to hijack the thread for a moment...

I am having that same ticking issue as well. Have about the same amount of miles as you do (49,500).

I cant really pinpoint where this ticking noise is coming from, although i do know it speeds up as you step on the gas. Its not noticable inside the cab, only out.

Any ideas?
timing chain rattle?
theres a TSB for your year about it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-16-2007
red_fx2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: lakeland, fl
Posts: 32
my jeep was doing the same thing with leaking after i shut it off, it was like a water fall, sure enough i changed my water pump.. yay... no more leaky lol
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-16-2007
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speedin2.3
timing chain rattle?
theres a TSB for your year about it.
I doubt this has anything to do with the timing chains.

More like an exhaust leak, bad pulley, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-16-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 30
Thanks guys. I will give the WP a look in the manner suggested. I do think the tensioner is known for the ticking. I may replace that as well.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-19-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pikeville, Ky
Posts: 4
Well,

I figured out what was wrong with my truck.... and this is odd.
It was not the water pump, but RIGHT IN FRONT of the clutch part of the fan, one of the horizontal water passages in the radiator had a pinhole in it.....about 8 lines down from the top. I soldered it up, and it worked until my new radiator came in at Advance. FYI , it was 167.00 and a lot thinner than the factory one.. and it has two passages on the left side, like two 1/2" in/outlets...Im guessing it is aftermarket for an explorer also that hooks up to some sort of external cooler, but at least i can add one easily later.
A 45 min job to replace....

But I thought it was the water pump at first also, it was so wierd. I dunno how that hole could have got there?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-19-2007
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4
I doubt this has anything to do with the timing chains.

More like an exhaust leak, bad pulley, etc.
Mark i checked all your pulleys there fine.. exhaust leak sounds like a puffing noise, i would bet its the timing chains the 2001 had the most problems with this then any year. was the fix ever done on your truck it should have been
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-19-2007
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRangerofDanger
Well,

I figured out what was wrong with my truck.... and this is odd.
It was not the water pump, but RIGHT IN FRONT of the clutch part of the fan, one of the horizontal water passages in the radiator had a pinhole in it.....about 8 lines down from the top. I soldered it up, and it worked until my new radiator came in at Advance. FYI , it was 167.00 and a lot thinner than the factory one.. and it has two passages on the left side, like two 1/2" in/outlets...Im guessing it is aftermarket for an explorer also that hooks up to some sort of external cooler, but at least i can add one easily later.
A 45 min job to replace....

But I thought it was the water pump at first also, it was so wierd. I dunno how that hole could have got there?
rock usually
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LOOK! Car won't start thread! I did search, please help! jayellcowen SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 15 06-15-2011 11:55 PM
please tell me where my PCV is, Please (did search) uplandhunter General Technical & Electrical 16 02-07-2011 09:34 AM
Did the 37,555 plus Thread search first sarge 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 4 11-28-2010 12:24 PM
Trouble starting first try Spinich 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 6 12-22-2006 08:52 PM
I did a search and still can't find it... TORQUERULES General Technical & Electrical 9 11-14-2006 11:11 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.