01 ranger body swap onto 01 explorer = no engine swap? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


8-Cylinder Tech If you are one of the few with a V8 engine in your Ranger, or if you dream of a Ranger with a V8 engine, this is the sub-forum for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-23-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mt. Prospect. Il
Posts: 3
01 ranger body swap onto 01 explorer = no engine swap?

Hello Ranger forum friends i am new here and i have used the search function and i have not seen this info. Here is the deal i have a 2001 ranger edge 4x4 with the full size bed and 3.0 v6 engine (192,000 miles) still runs good but lack of power and gas mileage is not making me happy. I have read all the 5.0 swap threads and it seems that nobody has pitched the idea of simply finding the same year explorer and just switching over the body. I like this idea because it would allow me to "spruce up" the frame and all that with the explorers body off then adding a body lift would be really easy this would take care of to "upgrades" at once. Any thoughts?: mischievo
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-23-2015
bravetitan24's Avatar
Strokin'
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Haughton, LA
Posts: 2,150
I remember someone else wanting to do this awhile back. Not sure if he ever went through with it though. IIRC, you would have to modify/create some of the body's mounting points because they don't all match up.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-23-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mt. Prospect. Il
Posts: 3
Never mind i just googled it and i found a search result leading right back here on the forum and there is a ton of work involved. I think i will just drive it the way it is for about 6 months and sell it. looking at getting a newer truck or suv anyway. I like the idea of a lifted f-150 with all the hard work done already and it will have the 5.4 v-8 that way i can focus all my energy and money to making that bigger, badder and faster. I am a big guy and the ranger is really to narrow for me anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-23-2015
bravetitan24's Avatar
Strokin'
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Haughton, LA
Posts: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by computergod View Post
Never mind i just googled it and i found a search result leading right back here on the forum and there is a ton of work involved. I think i will just drive it the way it is for about 6 months and sell it. looking at getting a newer truck or suv anyway. I like the idea of a lifted f-150 with all the hard work done already and it will have the 5.4 v-8 that way i can focus all my energy and money to making that bigger, badder and faster. I am a big guy and the ranger is really to narrow for me anyway.
Build it to your own specs. Don't buy someone else's specs. Make it your own. That's why I won't ever buy one of those Rocky Ridge trucks all the dealers sell. Any random guy can walk up to the dealer with a stack of cash and have the same truck as you in 10 minutes. Just my 0.02
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-23-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mt. Prospect. Il
Posts: 3
I appreciate the comment. I am not on the position of being unique here i am looking at being comfortable and my vehicle should be capable (4x4) also look good and be very dependable. If i had a lot of spare time and money along with a garage and somebody to help me i would take on a project build in a heartbeat. when i really think about it the ranger looks great but that is where it ends for me. I am a big guy who likes to stretch out and the rangers door pockets hurt my leg and the console is too short. There are many many other issues with the truck that just do not fit me. I could probably swap the motor and burn a thousand dollars and 3 weeks of time then i would still have an old truck that will never really be finished.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-23-2015
Fordzilla80's Avatar
YZ
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,029
Do some more research before you settle on a 5.4. Some of them have major issues. You need to know which ones to stay away from.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-30-2015
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northville. Mi
Posts: 9
I also have a 01 ranger with a bad 4.0
As well as a 01 Explorer 5.0 - The last push-rod v8 year from Ford.

Also thought about Ranger Body on explorer frame.

It appears as if the front and middle body mounts could fit?
But the rear mounts will not . Forcing custom fabrication. Easy for me .
But the flat rear frame on the explorer is making me reconsider.

The rear axle travel looks very limited. As compared to the pick up frame.
Add to that My supper cab will look a bit silly on the shorter 4 door frame.
Even with the flat bed

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-09-2015
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1
Explorers, as far as I know, all have rear disk breaks as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-21-2017
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northville. Mi
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I also have a 01 ranger with a bad 4.0
As well as a 01 Explorer 5.0 - The last push-rod v8 year from Ford.

Also thought about Ranger Body on explorer frame.

It appears as if the front and middle body mounts could fit?
But the rear mounts will not . Forcing custom fabrication. Easy for me .
But the flat rear frame on the explorer is making me reconsider.

The rear axle travel looks very limited. As compared to the pick up frame.
Add to that My supper cab will look a bit silly on the shorter 4 door frame.
Even with the flat bed


i am now well on my way.
removed the Explorer body. Sold a few parts .
some at giveaway prices sadly.

decided to use a standard length Ranger cab . As it will leave enough room for a 6 ft bed.
And will be using rear can mount sections from a junk ranger frame bolted to the Explor frame.

Looked at using EBay tight tube headers. But that will require too much work to fit.
Now tring to use early cast iron
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-21-2017
94Ranger355's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Athens, TN
Posts: 616
Icon3 >>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
i am now well on my way.
removed the Explorer body. Sold a few parts .
some at giveaway prices sadly.

decided to use a standard length Ranger cab . As it will leave enough room for a 6 ft bed.
And will be using rear can mount sections from a junk ranger frame bolted to the Explor frame.

Looked at using EBay tight tube headers. But that will require too much work to fit.
Now tring to use early cast iron
=================
Pics PLEASE!

Wonderin what this is gonna look like........

I finished my 98 XLT std cab steppie with 00 Expo 5.0L AWD last July and its my DD.........LOVE IT!!!

Only regret>>>>>I didn't do it sooner!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-22-2017
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: pittsburgh pa
Posts: 312
A guy I worked with wanted to do the body swap with my 98 ranger and a 97 mountaineer. I noticed wheel base is 14 inches shorter on mountaineer I believe? he didn't want to try to merge the 2 wiring harnesses...so I did the engine swap myself. I have a few wrinkles to iron out but she is fun to drive...good luck
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-22-2017
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northville. Mi
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbill61 View Post
A guy I worked with wanted to do the body swap with my 98 ranger and a 97 mountaineer. I noticed wheel base is 14 inches shorter on mountaineer I believe? he didn't want to try to merge the 2 wiring harnesses...so I did the engine swap myself. I have a few wrinkles to iron out but she is fun to drive...good luck
the 4 door Explorer wheel base is 1/10" different than a standard cab short box
the bigger difference is the frame height and shape. Begins behind the foot well.

​​​​​​​
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-22-2017
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: pittsburgh pa
Posts: 312
Ok well I have a 98 ranger ext cab and he wanted to avoid figuring out maybe 8 to 12 wires tops. he tried to get me to put a chevy 350 in it after I bought the 97 mountaineer for 500. he felt I would spend too much $ on mods...but isn't that what u run into?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-22-2017
94Ranger355's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Athens, TN
Posts: 616
Post Ummm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbill61 View Post
Ok well I have a 98 ranger ext cab and he wanted to avoid figuring out maybe 8 to 12 wires tops. he tried to get me to put a chevy 350 in it after I bought the 97 mountaineer for 500. he felt I would spend too much $ on mods...but isn't that what u run into?
===================
Any pics of your build?

My first V8 swap was my Son's Blue 93 Ranger XLT which I did a 355/T350, 3.73 posi since it was easier on the budget, and it was a BLAST to drive!

Then I did my Green 94 Ranger XLT Pro Street with a 360/T350, narrowed Expo 8.8 posi, and its just a TOY! (Hasn't been out since 12, is a yard ornament infront of my garage)
Attached Thumbnails
01 ranger body swap onto 01 explorer = no engine swap?-93-ranger1-2009-750pix.jpg   01 ranger body swap onto 01 explorer = no engine swap?-93-ranger-interior-750pix.jpg   01 ranger body swap onto 01 explorer = no engine swap?-93-ranger2-2009-750pix.jpg   01 ranger body swap onto 01 explorer = no engine swap?-93-ranger3-2009-750pix.jpg   01 ranger body swap onto 01 explorer = no engine swap?-editedr-f-knoxville-meet-aug-13-15-2010-4.jpg  

01 ranger body swap onto 01 explorer = no engine swap?-editedr-f-knoxville-meet-aug-13-15-2010-2.jpg   01 ranger body swap onto 01 explorer = no engine swap?-editedfordrangerforums-meet-knoxville-10-1-11-04.jpg  

Last edited by 94Ranger355; 01-22-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-23-2017
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northville. Mi
Posts: 9
No not what I have run into!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerbill61 View Post
Ok well I have a 98 ranger ext cab and he wanted to avoid figuring out maybe 8 to 12 wires tops. he tried to get me to put a chevy 350 in it after I bought the 97 mountaineer for 500. he felt I would spend too much $ on mods...but isn't that what u run into?
this will be my 6th V8 ranger build.
but first on the late model chassis (98 or newer).

my first one was in 1987 on a 1984 truck.
it was a doper low buck build. Using donated and stuff I had. Total cash outlay was under 1k.
but it required lots of time scrounging. And lots of personal labor.

Took about 60 days
only new item purchased - oil filter kit, 1965 tri-y pipes.
& I paid 200 for custom bent exhaust.

Now the newer SLA trucks are a bit tougher.
But nearly all the explorer stuff fits.

The idea of using Chevy power. Will kill the resale.
And my guy feeling is it will require custom fabrication cost!

Got to believe the tight exhaust problem with 4 wheel drive . And custom drive shafts. Will be more costly than using Explorer donner parts.

then add in a custom body wiring and labor if you want EFI ?
It will exceed my entire build cost using the Expo loom
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-23-2017
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: pittsburgh pa
Posts: 312
Sorry, I should have taken pics but didn't. she is fun to drive for most part, 5.0 is out of 97 mountaineer..the tranny is also as well as awd transfer case. I have man hubs so I got lucky that its not awd all the time. I'm still dealing with minor issues as far as a few trouble codes but should be able to get it all done in time. mine also sits a lot..lol. ya, I didn't like the idea of a chevy smallblock under the hood. if it was an s10 yes, but not a ranger. I got lucky and drive shafts didn't needs any redo.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-24-2017
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northville. Mi
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Ranger355 View Post
=================
Pics PLEASE!

Wonderin what this is gonna look like........

I finished my 98 XLT std cab steppie with 00 Expo 5.0L AWD last July and its my DD.........LOVE IT!!!

Only regret>>>>>I didn't do it sooner!
%5BURL=http://s62.photobucket.com/user/aszilagyi/media/image_zpsmq1bwaft.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h112/aszilagyi/th_image_zpsmq1bwaft.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

%5BURL=http://s62.photobucket.com/user/aszilagyi/media/image_zpsfbirnxdb.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h112/aszilagyi/th_image_zpsfbirnxdb.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-25-2017
94Ranger355's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Athens, TN
Posts: 616
Icon3 Photobucket info>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
%5BURL=http://s62.photobucket.com/user/aszilagyi/media/image_zpsmq1bwaft.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h112/aszilagyi/th_image_zpsmq1bwaft.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D%5BURL=http://s62.photobucket.com/user/aszilagyi/media/image_zpsfbirnxdb.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h112/aszilagyi/th_image_zpsfbirnxdb.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D
====================
Photobucket has their direct links screwed up, you need to copy the "Direct" one and then use the image link above to insert it.
Name:  image_zpsmq1bwaft.jpg
Views: 2091
Size:  159.8 KB


Name:  image_zpsfbirnxdb.jpg
Views: 2083
Size:  152.0 KB
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I swap 98 to 2000 front end onto a 96 Information Project Logs 1 07-11-2011 02:58 AM
2001 Front End Swap Onto A 1996. Whos Done It? Dweano General Ford Ranger Discussion 10 04-03-2011 03:56 PM
what other OEM ford wheels will bolt onto a ranger? jordanvw Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 4 06-14-2010 12:36 PM
Mustang Rear disks onto an 85 Ranger dlibson Drivetrain Tech 24 03-02-2008 08:58 PM
Mounting off-road lights dirtectly onto bumper...? CjRanger99 Exterior Semi-Tech 47 05-30-2005 03:11 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:31 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.