V8 or Cummins - Page 3 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


8-Cylinder Tech If you are one of the few with a V8 engine in your Ranger, or if you dream of a Ranger with a V8 engine, this is the sub-forum for you.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #51  
Old 01-20-2011
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFIVE View Post
True 7.3 is a good motor, as is a 6.0 and 6.4 for some. I know guys with all three that have built them up and had no issues. Cat made a motor for ford in the past, and they make some of the best diesels out there, so why not? My point is a cummins is no more a crystler motor than it is a ford. Boy your bright. And talk to most truckers and you'll find that a cummins is not a choice engine for over the road diesels. I drive trucks and the cummins ones have the most problems, and the least amount of power and the worst fuel economy. Can't argue with facts.
Cat won't make engines for highway vehicles anymore. Only in other countries with less emissions. I have also heard the newer on road Cat engines are not any better then anything else. It seems Cat can't get the emmisions figured out so there giving up. I read this a 2-3 years ago.
Cummins is its own company, not sure why you think its a Chrysler. I did hear cummins was doing work with China

I don't know much about 18 wheelers but from what I heard the Cummins ISX engine is pretty good.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-20-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia Falls, Montana
Posts: 38
I did hear about cat not making over the road engines too. Its not there fault though, its really our emission standards we set. From what I understand all the companys that make trucks are starting to make there own engines and they aren't wanting to use cummins or cat engines anymore for there trucks. You will probubly see cummins being bought by a company that doesn't have the resources to make there own, or cummins will make there own truck. Cat has equipment to make engines for, and looks like thats what they are gonna focus on. Cat had lots of money in R and D for emission motors, that went down the drain when they couldn't make it. As far as upkeep on a diesel being more than a gas motor that is so false. Diesels don't need the oil changed as often so the costs cancle out. Also diesels run alot longer, and are way more fuel effiecent. One thing to look into would be a Mahindra pickup diesel engine conversion. They are about to be release to the USA after years of USA standards are all finalized. They have there EPA covered and I think you could get about 34+ mpg in a ford ranger with one of there motors, and it has enough torque to tow like a mule. I didn't mean to be blunt on my comments, but I do have a rounded idea of whats good advice and not.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-20-2011
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFIVE View Post
I did hear about cat not making over the road engines too. Its not there fault though, its really our emission standards we set. From what I understand all the companys that make trucks are starting to make there own engines and they aren't wanting to use cummins or cat engines anymore for there trucks. You will probubly see cummins being bought by a company that doesn't have the resources to make there own, or cummins will make there own truck. Cat has equipment to make engines for, and looks like thats what they are gonna focus on. Cat had lots of money in R and D for emission motors, that went down the drain when they couldn't make it. As far as upkeep on a diesel being more than a gas motor that is so false. Diesels don't need the oil changed as often so the costs cancle out. Also diesels run alot longer, and are way more fuel effiecent. One thing to look into would be a Mahindra pickup diesel engine conversion. They are about to be release to the USA after years of USA standards are all finalized. They have there EPA covered and I think you could get about 34+ mpg in a ford ranger with one of there motors, and it has enough torque to tow like a mule. I didn't mean to be blunt on my comments, but I do have a rounded idea of whats good advice and not.
I agree the emissions suck and that how it sounds cummins could be bought out from another company.

Maybe for a over the road semi truck a diesel would be great. MPG, and maintenance wise, but normal everyday truck a diesel is more then a gasser to upkeep.

You change the oil at the same time. Diesel takes over twice as much oil, filters are normally more expensive, changing the fuel filter every other oil change adds up quick.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-21-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by levonskinator View Post
something is wrong then because the cummins engine is light years better than any ford diesel
You ment to say that the Powerstroke is lightyears a head of the cummins engine. Cummins and the durafag are behind the Powerstroke when it comes technolgy in the engines. With that said the cummins is a great engine and has proven its self for many years as it was used in equipment before it was put into a Dodge truck. The Durafag engine well its seems to be a good engine but its a jap engine so I dont consider it. The 7.3 Powerstroke set the benchmark that the other guys (GM & Chrysler) had to compete with and it still does.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-22-2011
sniper_101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sask, Canada
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFIVE View Post
True 7.3 is a good motor, as is a 6.0 and 6.4 for some. I know guys with all three that have built them up and had no issues. Cat made a motor for ford in the past, and they make some of the best diesels out there, so why not? My point is a cummins is no more a crystler motor than it is a ford. Boy your bright. And talk to most truckers and you'll find that a cummins is not a choice engine for over the road diesels. I drive trucks and the cummins ones have the most problems, and the least amount of power and the worst fuel economy. Can't argue with facts.


I'm not even going to start to turn this into a debate, but in what universe does Cummins OTR truck engines suck? While CAT's C-series is more reliable and powerful, the ISX is far from a bad engine. Ever compared the overhaul cost of an ISX to a C/3 Series? The Cummins is wayyy cheaper! Also, Cummins made an engine called the N14, without a doubt, quite possibly the best Cummins OTR engine, they're near bullet proof! This is coming from a guy who has driven nearly everything but a PACCAR setup.
----------------------
As far as the 4/6bt, anyone would be an idiot to deny the fact they are a stout engine. A few downfalls yeah, but easily one of, if not, the best.

Quote:
I say 4bt or a 331. 5.0 is a car motor more than a truck one, and they aren't the best for high rpm. Try to make alot of power with a 302 and high rpm, and blocks gonna crack and its gonna be messy.
I hope you don't mean a stroked 302 when you say 331, maybe a 331 Hemi . . .

A stock 302 H.O. makes peak torque at 3k, that's an incredibly useful power range, especially for a truck, one of the benefits to not being a high-revving factory engine. Not sure how an engine can be a "car" engine to begin with. 94-95 Cobra/T-bird/Cougar cam with 1:7's, GT-40 intake on any kind of GT-40 head with sized injectors will make gobs of torque at low RPM. Also blocks cracking below 500hp on a properly balanced and timed engine is rare.

Where are you getting your facts? Starting to sound like propaganda . . .

Last edited by sniper_101; 01-22-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-22-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pittsgrove NJ
Posts: 78
Yea most owner operators what CATS or DDEC. But dude im doing a 4BT swap right now. Just be prepared youll be spending more money then your orginally thought u would. And i have driven both the 6.4, and the 7.3T and compared them to the 6.7 and 12v cummins and i must say its all about who you are. Half the reason people like cummins is because of the PT fuel system gives you nice throttle respons and you can P-pump a cummins because alot of them came that way. so when picking and OEM its purely pref. If i could do this built all over i would have chossen the CAT 3114 instead of the 4bt cause noone swaps them. But also if you wana go v8 may i suggest a 428? lol
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-22-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia Falls, Montana
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper_101 View Post


I'm not even going to start to turn this into a debate, but in what universe does Cummins OTR truck engines suck? While CAT's C-series is more reliable and powerful, the ISX is far from a bad engine. Ever compared the overhaul cost of an ISX to a C/3 Series? The Cummins is wayyy cheaper! Also, Cummins made an engine called the N14, without a doubt, quite possibly the best Cummins OTR engine, they're near bullet proof! This is coming from a guy who has driven nearly everything but a PACCAR setup.
----------------------
As far as the 4/6bt, anyone would be an idiot to deny the fact they are a stout engine. A few downfalls yeah, but easily one of, if not, the best.



I hope you don't mean a stroked 302 when you say 331, maybe a 331 Hemi . . .

A stock 302 H.O. makes peak torque at 3k, that's an incredibly useful power range, especially for a truck, one of the benefits to not being a high-revving factory engine. Not sure how an engine can be a "car" engine to begin with. 94-95 Cobra/T-bird/Cougar cam with 1:7's, GT-40 intake on any kind of GT-40 head with sized injectors will make gobs of torque at low RPM. Also blocks cracking below 500hp on a properly balanced and timed engine is rare.

Where are you getting your facts? Starting to sound like propaganda . . .
I am confused. Why isn't a 331 a better choice than the 302. It has good piston pin placement, more torque, and more displacement. I would say a 347, but the piston pin placement is not great for longevity like the 331. Also with the quality in scats cast cranks, you can build a stroker for a low budget, and you won't have to use a big cam. I agree GT-40 heads are the way to go. HO heads suck, and hope I don't need to show you why. Since the mustang came with GT-40 heads only at its end, makes it a rare engine. Yes blocks cracking is rare under 500 hp but its the rpm that does it, not just the hp. I am a die hard ford fan, but facts are facts, and fords 302 isn't what it started out at. With the loss of nickle in the block material, and the poor design, its probubly the weakest of the american small block world. Sucks. I may have been to far over when I said cummins sucks, but I was trying to say that they aren't the best like most think. When it comes to the three us personal truck engines the cummins is a better choice hands down. Not that the PS or duramax are bad motors, but they just aren't as good. I haven't had or seen a truck with a ISX cummins, so I have no basis on that, and you are probubly correct. I have had experiance with other motors that are not good engines. M11 is one, and I can't remember the model of the other one. I have drove alot of trucks with cat motors and no problems with any of them. Also we use to have a hopped up detriot that was problem free, although I know detriot has its fans, I know alot of people don't care for them two. I don't know how cummins is cheaper, beside maybe there holset turbos. I like holsets, and all, but we paid a ton for a recon M11 that had lots of problems. 19,000.00 into it and going. Not cheap by anymeans. I have heard good things about the N14, and thats a big engine that isn't cheap. I don't have much arguement with your statements except that you think that a 331 is a bad motor for a ranger swap, when the guy is looking at a low rpm torque diesel as an alternative.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-24-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Posts: 57
I used to drive big trucks and I can tell you from my time driving a few of them what I have found.The cummins in my first truck was very old and had almost a million miles on it and you couldnt kill that thing and it had all the power that I needed to haul the heavy equipment that we had at our place. We ended up getting a newer truck with air ride and it had a Detroit series 60E in it and that thing flat hauled a$$ and would pull like a freight train and I loved it. Then we got a real new truck with a twin turbo CAT in it and that thing would run 95mph loaded on flat land but if you got into any hills forget it you were done as that truck just would lose its a$$ and slow quickly. The CAT just couldnt pull the hills and taking off was a joke to as it just didnt have it to get the big load going and I would take that old million mile Cummins for city hauling and to pull the mountains over the CAT anyday. Dont get me wrong I think that CAT builds some of the best stuff out there and maybe the model CAT engine that we have is just not one of the better ones who knows? But one thing I have learned there are many Big truck guys that swear by Cummins engines like the N14 and the one we had you just couldnt kill it.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-24-2011
S1att3r's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Emory, TX
Posts: 226
to the op id say 4bt but then again im biasd since i like diesel more than gas but dont get me wrong id love a v8 ranger
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cummins Ranger(not 4bt) elementsenjoi General Ford Ranger Discussion 25 11-27-2008 08:09 AM
cummins diesel vs. 4.0 fx4 06LEVEL2 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 88 02-07-2008 09:19 PM
Cummins 4BT in a Ranger optikal illushun General Ford Ranger Discussion 6 12-27-2007 05:29 AM
Found a Ranger with a cummins and Dana 60 rolsmojave3 General Ford Ranger Discussion 10 10-11-2007 05:54 AM
cummins swap ranger with a supercharger and twin-turbos. BRENSRANGER General Ford Ranger Discussion 52 06-16-2007 11:21 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:03 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.