Tranny problem!!! 2/3 slip... Shift kit installation - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-15-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Icon4 Tranny problem!!! 2/3 slip... Shift kit installation

I need some feedback on this asap if possible! I just took my truck into the tranny shop and the tranny guy called me up just now and said he just got the pan off and has some issues before he installs it. I have about 92k miles on my truck and he said there's slippage in 2/3 and delayed reverse. He said if he installs the shift kit it will be a amplified as far as my 2/3 slip bump/thunk and will cause the tranny to fail in the near future. He's suggesting to me that I hold onto the shift kit and get it installed with a tranny overhaul...

What do you guys suggest? Should I just say f-it and get it installed and see what happens? Or should I hold onto it and get my tranny overhauled first? He says it's $2500 to rebuild my tranny...

Any feedback will be appreciated as I told him I would call him back and let him know how to proceed.

NicksterSVT? 04edge? Griggs? Bob? Zach? Anybody?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2008
Wolgun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: War, Wv
Posts: 236
If you got/can easaly get 2500$ id just wait and put it in with a rebuild, that way youll "know" it will work.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-15-2008
Thorny073's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California, Ky
Posts: 621
yea man i'd hold off and get the tranny overhauled and have the shift kit installed then...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-15-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Hmm should I just drive it until it blows or have him overhaul it now?
What would you guys do?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-15-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingsville, Texas
Posts: 608
Id suggest a whole new truck. Chuntie. Buts thats just me idk. good luck w ur tranny problem LOL LOL
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-15-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar_Yo450 View Post
Id suggest a whole new truck. Chuntie. Buts thats just me idk. good luck w ur tranny problem LOL LOL
Good luck with English, you must be another one of those drop outs trying to be an e-thug.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-15-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Anybody else have any input before I call my tranny guy back?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-15-2008
WowMike2001's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stevenson, WA
Posts: 2,583
Sad news there, Rob.. $2500 is a mighty chunk to put into a tranny.. I just don't think the ranger is enough to sink that money into. Heck, where I get my tranny work done.. you pull it out, bring it in.. and 200 bucks later its cleaned out, rebuilt without going into the fine-tuning hole crap.. reseal it, and you go and pick it up.... i -think- you may have better luck just trying to find a less-abused one in a yard somewhere perhaps. Its pretty easy to find transmissions at those places
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-15-2008
Wolgun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: War, Wv
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner-Ranger View Post
Hmm should I just drive it until it blows or have him overhaul it now?
What would you guys do?
Well...LOL, if you can afford it, id have some fun with your "broken" tranny. And then when its insides look like shrapneil (sp?) id rebuild it with the kit, or just buy a whole new tranny and have the kit installed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-15-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingsville, Texas
Posts: 608
Graduate this spring chuntie but yea ima drop out anyways worry bout that tranny
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-15-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_wolf View Post
Well...LOL, if you can afford it, id have some fun with your "broken" tranny. And then when its insides look like shrapneil (sp?) id rebuild it with the kit, or just buy a whole new tranny and have the kit installed.
eeeeek. I owe 9k on my truck still so I gotta keep it running, it's my DD.

Gah, this is gonna hurt the bank account... real bad...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-15-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar_Yo450 View Post
Graduate this spring chuntie but yea ima drop out anyways worry bout that tranny
I'm sure you are as your grammar and punctuation clearly state the obvious.
Now GTFO my thread.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-15-2008
red_fx2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: lakeland, fl
Posts: 32
did u feel any of this going on when u had the truck? i think some one is tryin to screw some one outta money
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-15-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_fx2 View Post
did u feel any of this going on when u had the truck? i think some one is tryin to screw some one outta money
Unfortunately, yes I did. That's one of the reason I took it in because of the slippage. I've been meaning to get this kit installed for awhile but I think I waited too long.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-15-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingsville, Texas
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner-Ranger View Post
I'm sure you are as your grammar and punctuation clearly state the obvious.
Now GTFO my thread.
"Grammar and puctuation" *** lol i abbreviate everything cause im use to textin.. W ur wack @ss
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-15-2008
seed60's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 5,584
I would hold on to the shift kit and run it til the wheels fall off!!! Cause like Mike said I think you could find one at a junkyard for much less. Or just find a cheaper transmission place.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-15-2008
Yessick's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: mobile,Alabama
Posts: 842
i would take your tranny to a differnt shop for a better opinion and hopefully a better price because i got my tranny rebuilt on my truck not to long ago they pulled the tranny and rebuilt it only cost me 1350$
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-15-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
I paid 2200 for mine...but i got all upgraded internals...nothing too special though.

I would go get a new transmission ASAP. You can get them on eBay for 800 or so. You don't want your DD to throw the transmission while on your way to work/school. If your really saavy, I would do a manual swap so you never have that problem again :)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-15-2008
Yessick's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: mobile,Alabama
Posts: 842
wow eithe ri got a killer deal or yall are gettin ripped on tranny rebuilds... ima buy a manual one and get a shift kit and get the best internals i can get for it.. so i never have this issue..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-15-2008
WowMike2001's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stevenson, WA
Posts: 2,583
Thats why I love manuals... switch out a slave every other now and then, and eventually toss in a new master.. saves on those automatic's :-)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-15-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar_Yo450 View Post
"Grammar and puctuation" *** lol i abbreviate everything cause im use to textin.. W ur wack @ss
I rest my case.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-15-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
yessik you probably are getting a good deal. I was going to get mine for 1800 or 2200 w/ upgrades...so I figure...400 more for upgraded stuff can't hurt :)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-15-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Alright guys so I made my decision. I called this guy back and he said most tranny shops that do things cheaper don't complete the full job. Like electrical for example, most people will swap out the tranny but use all the old electrical etc. Which makes sense in the business world, business is business and everyones trying to hustle.

Anyways, for $2500 he will overhaul my whole tranny/replace with new one, install my shift kit, and put in 4.0 internals instead of the crappy 3.0's.

For now I'm just gonna have him do a complete flush, put the pan back on and I'll drive that sucker until it explodes. Then have it towed right over to get the job done... it will give me some time to save some money and get the most mileage out of my tranny.

Thanks for all your input guys, R-F rocks!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-15-2008
Prerunner-Ranger's Avatar
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA.
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by WowMike2001 View Post
Thats why I love manuals... switch out a slave every other now and then, and eventually toss in a new master.. saves on those automatic's :-)
My first pick was a manual but couldn't afford it at the time
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-15-2008
bucky919's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner-Ranger View Post
Alright guys so I made my decision. I called this guy back and he said most tranny shops that do things cheaper don't complete the full job. Like electrical for example, most people will swap out the tranny but use all the old electrical etc. Which makes sense in the business world, business is business and everyones trying to hustle.

Anyways, for $2500 he will overhaul my whole tranny/replace with new one, install my shift kit, and put in 4.0 internals instead of the crappy 3.0's.

For now I'm just gonna have him do a complete flush, put the pan back on and I'll drive that sucker until it explodes. Then have it towed right over to get the job done... it will give me some time to save some money and get the most mileage out of my tranny.

Thanks for all your input guys, R-F rocks!
Thats what I would do you could get a another year out of it or it could blow up tomorrow, its just the risk you take driving any vehicle.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to Trade: 31 spline limited slip for 28 spline limited slip (ma) 99offroadrngr Engine & Drivetrain 0 05-13-2014 06:34 PM
tranny or transfer case seems to randomly slip into neutral ? al1260 Drivetrain Tech 0 02-16-2014 05:47 PM
Shift kit for automatic tranny My05edge Drivetrain Tech 18 06-29-2012 11:25 AM
whats a good tranny rebuild kit for my 01 ranger, is shift kit needed miran587 Drivetrain Tech 4 09-27-2009 07:28 AM
no slip/limited slip neocon Drivetrain Tech 14 02-19-2006 11:17 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.