L.E.D's - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Exterior Semi-Tech General discussion of exterior for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-29-2008
rangerGT's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: san antonio,tx
Posts: 172
L.E.D's

soo i want to upgrade my turn lights and my brake light to leds...so for those who have them, point me the right way on where to get them and what to look for...any help would be great...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-29-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
I think Jp7 did, you can try PMing him.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-29-2008
Danger06Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lowell, IN
Posts: 620
heres where i got mine:
http://superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm
great prices and fast shipping.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-29-2008
rangerGT's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: san antonio,tx
Posts: 172
cool thanks! its time for some upgrades tired of my trucking looking like every other ranger on the streets
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-29-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ***
Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger06Ranger View Post
heres where i got mine:
http://superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm
great prices and fast shipping.
x2, I've bought a couple LEDs off this site
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-29-2008
FX403/STX96's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MI
Posts: 395
http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/fp/SFV/32481

Here is another site. A bit high on price but great products I have no problems with my purchases. Also change out your 5 pin flasher to a EP27 and you won't hyper flash. That is faster, cheaper and easier than all those resisters.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-29-2008
rangerGT's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: san antonio,tx
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX403/STX96 View Post
http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/fp/SFV/32481

Also change out your 5 pin flasher to a EP27 and you won't hyper flash. That is faster, cheaper and easier than all those resisters.
how do you do that? im sort of new to this...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-29-2008
FX403/STX96's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MI
Posts: 395
The flasher is located under the dash on the driverís side by the steering column. Itís blue in color and the only 5 pin in there ( # 3101 I think). You can by another flasher from any auto parts store. You want one labeled EP27 electronic flasher. Swap it out and you are done.

Then you can change out any bulb you want to LEDís and you wonít hyper flash at all. If you did the turn signal mod, it wonít work with LEDís in the corner and front sockets. Hell if I know why it wonít, but it doesnít.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-29-2008
rangerGT's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: san antonio,tx
Posts: 172
i never did the turn signal mod, its all stock lighting wise
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-30-2008
Spirochets's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lafayette, La
Posts: 291
What is hyper flash why does it happen?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-30-2008
jeffb502's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Santa Maria CA
Posts: 128
Hyper flash is when your turn signal flashes very quickly, and it happens with thermal flasher units when you have a bulb burnt out. It's supposed to be an indicator so you know you have a turn signal out, but many people have no idea that that's what it means.

An LED lamp looks like a burnt out bulb to a thermal flasher unit since it draws so little current, and will cause a "hyper flash." This is why you either have to replace with an Electronic flasher (I got my EP27 electronic flasher at AutoZone for $12.99) or wire up resistors in the wire going to the LED to simulate the resistance of an incandescent lamp.

FWIW on my truck the flasher was yellow, so the color of the flasher may vary.

About a week ago I bought a pair of 27 LED 3157 amber turn signals at v-leds, then saw a 39 LED amber pair on ebay, then saw a 63 LED pair on ebay. I've installed the 27 LED v-leds lamps. They are dimmer than the stock incandescents but seem to get the job done. The 39 and 63 LED ebay lamps should be in the mail. I'll put up some comparison videos with the 39 and 63 LED ebay lights if you guys would like some. There is also a 60 LED light at v-leds that looks very nice, but the ebay lights are alot cheaper.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-30-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ***
Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb502 View Post
Hyper flash is when your turn signal flashes very quickly, and it happens with thermal flasher units when you have a bulb burnt out. It's supposed to be an indicator so you know you have a turn signal out, but many people have no idea that that's what it means.

An LED lamp looks like a burnt out bulb to a thermal flasher unit since it draws so little current, and will cause a "hyper flash." This is why you either have to replace with an Electronic flasher (I got my EP27 electronic flasher at AutoZone for $12.99) or wire up resistors in the wire going to the LED to simulate the resistance of an incandescent lamp.

FWIW on my truck the flasher was yellow, so the color of the flasher may vary.

About a week ago I bought a pair of 27 LED 3157 amber turn signals at v-leds, then saw a 39 LED amber pair on ebay, then saw a 63 LED pair on ebay. I've installed the 27 LED v-leds lamps. They are dimmer than the stock incandescents but seem to get the job done. The 39 and 63 LED ebay lamps should be in the mail. I'll put up some comparison videos with the 39 and 63 LED ebay lights if you guys would like some. There is also a 60 LED light at v-leds that looks very nice, but the ebay lights are alot cheaper.
What is the difference between an electro-mechanical flasher and an electronic one? Or are they just the same? Only asking because I found 2 on advance auto's site. I found them here incase your wondering:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=121&PTSet=A

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=121&PTSet=A
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-30-2008
Johnbaum13's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,343
Electro-mechanical is a thermal flasher and works by heat generated as the current flows. These will produce the "hyper flash". The electronic ones have a circut board and timer to control the flash, and will blink normally no matter what the current draw.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-30-2008
jeffb502's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Santa Maria CA
Posts: 128
Here's a good explanation of the types of flashers...http://www.tricoproducts.com/index.cfm?location_id=34 I'm no expert on the subject; I just know what I had to do for my specific application.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-30-2008
htjunkie's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX403/STX96 View Post
The flasher is located under the dash on the driverís side by the steering column. Itís blue in color and the only 5 pin in there ( # 3101 I think). You can by another flasher from any auto parts store. You want one labeled EP27 electronic flasher. Swap it out and you are done.

Then you can change out any bulb you want to LEDís and you wonít hyper flash at all. If you did the turn signal mod, it wonít work with LEDís in the corner and front sockets. Hell if I know why it wonít, but it doesnít.
Well crap, I already bought all the LED's. I did the mod alrady too, now I have to decide if I want to keep the mod...or go to LED's. Tbe regular bulb has a wider spread light, but the LED doesn't. Are the LED's brighter? have a pic of yours?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-30-2008
jeffb502's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Santa Maria CA
Posts: 128
Which LEDs did you buy ht? There are many different LED lamps out there, some good and some not so good, and brightness/functionality will vary between the different lamps.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-30-2008
htjunkie's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 1,286
3157R's thats what it says on the package. Wanted to get clear for the taillights, but was told that they couldn't order them in clear, just red, or amber. I got these at Auto Zone.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-30-2008
jeffb502's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Santa Maria CA
Posts: 128
Ah yeah I think I saw those the last time I was at Autozone...just a small cluster firing in one direction right? Here's the one I got from ebay...I think this design should work much better since it actually attempts to use the reflector and covers the side better.


Here's one like the one I saw at Autozone...

Personally I wouldn't use a single-direction lamp like the one in the 2nd picture as a taillight or turn signal in my 98 Ranger, since the taillight design depends on the lamp to shoot out light to the side as well as the rear. With a single direction lamp there is going to be little or no light shining to the side, greatly decreasing rear side visibility.

Also, most sites that sell the LEDs recommend purchasing the same color as the lense it is going to be behind due to the nature of LEDs vs. incandescents.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-30-2008
htjunkie's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 1,286
I'm going to take my lights back. Any idea what the others cost?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-30-2008
GrafixGuy's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 8,703
I thnk there is a LED website that sells something similar to spider-lites but a lot cheaper... $54 for pair vs. $100 for 2...

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-30-2008
htjunkie's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 1,286
Don't think these will make much ise of the reflector..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-30-2008
jeffb502's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Santa Maria CA
Posts: 128
The one I linked to is on ebay for about $20/pair before shipping. Just search for 63 led 3157 and they should come up. They're pretty cheap compared to the 60 LED lamps at v-leds ($49.99/pair plus shipping) but I just bought one pair of the ebay lights for now to see how they work out.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-30-2008
htjunkie's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 1,286
Jeff,what about the "spider" ones?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-30-2008
jeffb502's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Santa Maria CA
Posts: 128
No idea...I've never tried them but I agree with you in that it looks like they just fire towards the rear. They would obviously cover the rear facing portion of the lense much better than the small unidirectional cluster style but I'm not seeing anything for side visibility.

FWIW many vehicles use a 2 lamp system, one primarily for rear visibility and one for side visibility...the spider might work well with that type of system. With the rangers we seem to be stuck with one lamp for both jobs, so we need active side and rear facing illumination. I also like the idea of alot of side firing LEDs since they make use of the stock reflector and should fill out the lense better.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-30-2008
htjunkie's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 1,286
i'm thinkin I might go woth the 63 light ones..
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:29 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.